information The Most Popular Websites Since 1993

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Captain Gizmo put together at how websites have evolved in popularity from 1993 to the present. While watching the video it’s cool to see how sites gained and lost traffic. Aol was cruising along and then came Yahoo, etc… Here’s a look at the websites with the most traffic since 1993, and when each site […]

Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Nice video. Amazing how much the internet evolved over the past few decades. Brings back memories. Thanks for sharing.

•••
Thanks for sharing, very interesting video. Is there any explicable reason for sudden yahoo uptick in 2008? I checked wikipedia and it only says "The company struggled through 2008, with several large layoffs." which is kind of counter-intuitive to that traffic change.

Amazing that of the top13 sites for 2020 I only use three on a regular basis (google, youtube, wikipedia) and another three (facebook, twitter, amazon) a few times per year. But I'm more of a forum guy than social media guy. :whistle:

Also, first time I heard about Prodigy.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I didn't see AltaVista in that video list.

•••
Prodigy...man, I can still hear the dial up sounds!

There were certain late night times when it was easier to get on in the early days of Prodigy...I met a guy named Frank just after the billboards launched. He was an old wall street guy and I was a very young man that had made some money with a unique marketing method only few knew how to successfully operate at that time.

Bottom line is I made a lot of money and decided to try the stock market. Frank, every few weeks, would direct me to companies to research. He never spoon fed me info...made me work for it. Every stock I purchased after doing research doubled within 6 months. This went on for a couple years. He finally told me his last name at the same time he told me he was dying. One day, I stopped getting responses from my billboard posts. We never met or spoke on the phone, but he is the one that got me into 'the market' and also pointed me to look at buying domain names (I thought he was a loon for that suggestion at the time).

Thanks again Frank...RIP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prodigy_(online_service)

•••
Thanks for sharing, very interesting video. Is there any explicable reason for sudden yahoo uptick in 2008? I checked wikipedia and it only says "The company struggled through 2008, with several large layoffs." which is kind of counter-intuitive to that traffic change.

Amazing that of the top13 sites for 2020 I only use three on a regular basis (google, youtube, wikipedia) and another three (facebook, twitter, amazon) a few times per year. But I'm more of a forum guy than social media guy. :whistle:

Also, first time I heard about Prodigy.

Upturn of Yahoo in 2008 was possibly due to Yahoo! Babel Fish launch (May 2008)

Edit: MS also made an unsuccessful $44.6 billion bid for Yahoo in 2008 that drove up the share price.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back