IT.COM

discuss The irony with .CO.UK

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
.CO.UK is one of those extensions that showcases irony! How?

Usually in any of the extensions, you would see .cctld would be much more popular than .co.cctld. In this particular case, we see that .CO.UK is much more popular than .UK. Could it be the introduction time that led to such an anomaly?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Rephrasing what I said yesterday.
I think the number 1 reason is: .uk tld is not offered as the number 1 option at registrars, and this may be intentional.
2nd reason: it is not advertised on TV or social media.
3rd reason: People are not encouraged to think critically.

.uk is the most natural cctld. But this doesn't mean it will do well. It is not doing well so far.

Last edited:
•••
the only reason .co.uk is more popular:
Until 10 June 2014 it was not possible to register a domain name directly under .uk

•••
Rephrasing what I said yesterday.
I think the number 1 reason is: .uk tld is not offered as the number 1 option at registrars, and this may be intentional.
2nd reason: it is not advertised on TV or social media.
3rd reason: People are not encouraged to think critically.

.uk is the most natural cctld. But this doesn't mean it will do well. It is not doing well so far.
1. How is it not?
2. It was, there was a TV campaign as well as print media and all sorts
3. Really has nothing to do with it, the opposite is true. A critical thinker would use .CO.UK because it's what everyone in the country knows and understands.

@postscripter has posted the answer. It's pure and simple.

Nominet released the .UK in a way that maximised their £££ and didn't really provide an "alternative" to .CO.UK that could take hold. .CO.UK and .UK should never have been separate, it should have been a switch or both names linked, then you can guarantee that the .UK domain goes where you expect it to.

Why would someone choose a domain extension that nobody knows about over and above one that they know EVERYONE does? Makes no sense.

Last edited:
•••
we see that .CO.UK is much more popular than .UK. Could it be the introduction time that led to such an anomaly?
Yes, the .uk extension was offered in 2014 by which time .co.uk was well established.

•••
I see them both being well used going forward.
Do you see the '.co' part of 'co.uk' as useful in signifying a company?

•••
•••
.CO.UK and .UK should never have been separate, it should have been a switch or both names linked, then you can guarantee that the .UK domain goes where you expect it to.
Yes, it'll get messy with email security etc. if someone else has the same name with a different but confusingly similar extension.

•••
•••
co.uk is still king I hold a large portfolio of uk investments and the .UK domains I sell co.uk 99% of the time no one wants the .UK nominet released the .UK far to late maybe in the future it will come out but at the moment its all a big mess

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back