Dynadot

The "i" Domains Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
iDomains
Little Investment. Big Return.

And the "I" domain revolution begins.

First, it was iReport and then iPod and then iPhone, and NOW..... iPad (I wonder who owned this one?). (Preview iPad here)
It seems that more and more media technology companies are investing in these type of names.

What is your perspective on registering these type of names?..... Or just showcase your iDomains!!!

Here's some recent sales:
iAuction.com - $50,000 11/2009
iRent.com - $20,000 09/2009
iPal.com - $59,000 08/2009

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
iFirefox.com - Would it be worth $100 if I sell it? Since 2004. Get traffic as well.

•••
•••
•••
Another monster "I" brand

iAd
"Apple Mobile Advertising Network"​

Apple just announced the start of its new mobile advertising network called - iAd (read full article).

It looks like "i" domains are a very, very, hot commodity!

I wish I was the owner of this domain!

Last edited:
•••
I love "I" domains. One of my first enduser sales was Iverb.com (just checked and it is down right now).

I only have a few right now but I enjoy seeing what 'I' domains are dropping from time to time.

I-CD.com
I-HA.com
I-DD.com

and some double -- ones
I--C.com
I--E.com
I--R.com

Fun thread!

g-

•••
iAd
"Apple Mobile Advertising Network"​

Apple just announced the start of its new mobile advertising network called - iAd (read full article).

It looks like "i" domains are a very, very, hot commodity!

I wish I was the owner of this domain!

Interesting in the article you posted: ""We don't know much about this advertising thing." Jobs said during the question and answer period following the event. "We tried to buy a company called AdMob, and Google came in and snatched them because they didn't want us to have them. We bought a smaller but still great company called Quattro."

Mobile Ad war?

•••
•••
•••
In fact, fart apps are among the most popular iPhone applications.

•••
•••
imotioncontrol.com

i3dchat.com

•••
isentimental.com

iamerica.eu
iswiss.eu

i like i over e

•••
•••
iBrainStorms.com

hello everyone!

( i ) am really excited to be here.
i have been buying domains for years, but always buy them to keep and develop.

but the i domains i have recently registered have got me pretty hyped up for my potential to sell to app developers.

i have 103 of them.

here is a little taste...
These are the weak ones.
all are .coms

iJailBreaking
iLiveStreaming
iGetFunding
iGetHired
iGetApproved
iForclosed
iAncestors
iAnagrams
IBailouts
IBetrayed
iEarthquakes
iVolcanoes
iHomeruns
iNudeChat
iPussycats
iSupremacy
iModifyYourLoan
iSaveYourHome
iFlightSimulator
iCasted
iCallBacks
iDragAndDrop

The list gets better, but i dont want to give away all my plans.

give me some feedback guys..

im learning to use the iphone and ipad sdk to develop apps for some of these.

i typically use valuate.com to check the value of the name without the "i" first before i buy it. the valuate script does not understand the value of adding an i to a name, so i keep it off just to get a good idea of what the name is worth.
the total appraised value of the names without the i's is 1.6 million
how much are they worth with the i's going forward into the i world remains to be seen, but i see the i as being a plus, not a minus. it tells the users the site is ipad ready.

example valuations
streetfights.com is valuated at 391,000 on valuate.com
so how much should iStreetFights.com be worth? i think it should be the same if not more going forward. what do you think of this?

go get some idomains while you still can. ipad is going to dominate, and why not get some of that shine.

or refer to my favorite one instead> iFuckingToldYouSo.com

jeff
iBrainStorms.com

•••
I generally consider i(keyword).orgs to be worthless as far as resale, but I keep a few, mainly geos, knowing that they're worthless.

I've been picking up a few cities i(City).orgs I wanted, usually when they drop, for reg fee. iChicago, iNewYorkCity, iMinneapolis, etc. I do have a down-the-road development plan for them, but it's "after 100 other things get done" sort of stuff.

iLosAngeles.org dropped today and I was kinda happy, since that would give me the largest three American cities, but someone actually paid Pool to snap it and obviously, they got it. I haven't *ever* had to pay the big boys to snap these names. I'm thinking it's a freak, one-off example that is specific to one person really wanting iLosAngeles.org, but interesting to see. I snapped iChicago.org from my desktop when it dropped, and iNewYorkCity was an old drop just sitting there. There are still good cities sitting out there for reg, but they have almost no resale value and don't earn parked, so develop or die.

Last edited:
•••
example valuations
streetfights.com is valuated at 391,000 on valuate.com
so how much should iStreetFights.com be worth? i think it should be the same if not more going forward. what do you think of this?

jeff
iBrainStorms.com

If only!

Don't take valuate.com's appraised values seriously. Regardless of it having "i" in front or not. Its running of estibot.com which is useful for getting some insight into the domain, keyword searches etc.

Adding an "i" at the front of any keyword will generally be worth less than the keyword itself. iDomains are nice when they suit... not always. Brandability in made-up words doesn't have to make sense, but for these kinda "i" type names they work a lot better if they do make sense.

Answer to your question... no.

Thats my opinion. I own iJanet.com, is it worth the same or close to Janet.com - not by a long shot! Is it worth a tenth of it? Probably not. Its not worthless, but it can't be compared in terms of price.

The popularity of iDomains is largely due to iPod/iPhone - APPLE in general. imo. They'll always be brandable if its nice short one-worders which make at least a bit of sense. Anyway, at least you sound like you have a plan for yours, development will bring value - but the names alone aren't that great.

P.S. try posting your names in the appraisals section of the forum and see what response you get.

•••
What do you guys think in general about i+GEO.com's? My only 'i-domain' is iVienna.com and I'd like to have an opinion about its value (though roughly, as I perfectly realize it's impossible to toss a number on brandable domains).

•••
i think the best ones are the clever ones that indicate an action or discription , i rememer some of the 'i' names on latonas newsletter and they just sucked , i still remember the big sale of ireport/com

i dream oneday to have the next hotmail with my i3dmail.com , a world that walk through as your email is read out to you (if you choose that setting) and as you travel through this 3d world there are shops to buy from and 'enter' and rubbish bins for the spam

oh well keep dreaming i guess !

•••
Can you say 1 Billion Ad Impressions per day!

Interesting in the article you posted: ""We don't know much about this advertising thing." Jobs said during the question and answer period following the event. "We tried to buy a company called AdMob, and Google came in and snatched them because they didn't want us to have them. We bought a smaller but still great company called Quattro."

Mobile Ad war?

Can you say 1 Billion Ad Impressions per day!
There's no mobile ad war here. Apple in my opinion will be the unequivical leader in mobile advertising based on their projected iAd statistics.

Facts:

1. Consumers are not searching on mobile; They are using Apps
2. Consumers are spending on average 30 mins a day in Apps.
3. Apple iPhone users are at 100 million users which could equal 1 billion Ad impressions daily!
4. That's a projected net gain of 4.62 billion dollars of annual revenue.
(watch Steve Jobs webcast)

How you like them Apples!.....

Last edited:
•••
•••
What do you guys think in general about i+GEO.com's? My only 'i-domain' is iVienna.com and I'd like to have an opinion about its value (though roughly, as I perfectly realize it's impossible to toss a number on brandable domains).

Develop or die.
99% of them have little to no resale value (at this time) and they don't earn parked. I will say that of all the 'different types' of names out there, I've never encountered a wider disparity between asking prices and reality than I have with iGeos. "Domainers" seem to think they're worth thousands- or tens of thousands- yet one can regularly purchase major cities in i(geo).com format for peanuts, or for reg when dropped. Domainers are pretty bad about this in general, but there seems to be a real disconnect between 'domainer perception' and what e/iGeos actually sell for (on the rare occasions they do sell)

Domainers are thrilled to acquire them, then, eventually let them drop once reality sets in and they realize that they're not much more than an annual $8 liability.

Last edited:
•••
Develop or die.

[...]

Domainers are thrilled to acquire them, then, eventually let them drop once reality sets in and they realize that they're not much more than an annual $8 liability.

Dongsman,

When I first saw you on this board ~7-8 months ago, I thought you were a pessimist and a bit of a hardass. How's that for honesty? The truth is, you're spot on 99% of the time and tell people what they need to hear not what they want to hear. It's good someone like you is around for this kick in the backside to set reality in.

Cheers!

•••
I agree with you, Dongsman! Though I tend to think all iGEO's aren't made equal: iNewYork.com is clearly worth more than some other iCity.com's

Rep added!

•••
I agree with you, Dongsman! Though I tend to think all iGEO's aren't made equal: iNewYork.com is clearly worth more than some other iCity.com's

I agree; as far as equality, the spread is very big and once you leave a certain 'zone of quality', there doesn't seem to be a lot of value...

When I acquired iMumbai (largest city on earth, commercial rents in Nariman Point are higher than Manhattan or London), I got it for what I felt was a great bargain, but there are VERY few iGeos I would've paid that kind of money for. That one, maybe something in the caliber of iHongKong or iBeijing or iChicago, but that's about it.

Once you get below the top-top tier, the prices are way, way, way lower, even for otherwise great cities. Earlier this year, I was picking up iGeo.com US cities with pop 100K + for reg when they dropped- no backorder or nothing. Just desktop snapping.

•••
Was on the fence, and decided to grab these recent drops (both .com)

i M a i l e d
i C o n s t r u e (perhaps for a translation/interpreter app???)

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back