IT.COM

discuss The Future Of .MOBI

NameSilo
Watch

VRdommy

Top Member
Impact
If you were to look at a quick sales history of .mobi...
http://dnpric.es/?q=.mobi
You will see plenty of high level sales for the top 100.
Look closer and notice those big sales all took place 3 years after sunrise,
and before the iPhone became a 'thing'.
Look even closer and see that most of them are investor speculation and not 'end-use'.

Why is the iPhone a benchmark ?
Because before it, you had to develop a specialized page for just about every phone on the market.
The preferred method was a XML page. ( I think I have some of my original builds from 2007)
The iPhone was the first 'phone' to be able to display a web page from the normal desktop version of the page. Before this, you had to make as many as 6 pages to cover the formats of the most popular phones for just one page on the web.
Add to this complex story, the idea that you had to be able to display a format that was acceptable to a phone was a prerequisite that was never enforced to my knowledge.

Then along came google that said you had to make you web page displayable to mobile devices or risk all of your SEO work and not be found in search results.
Apple and Android are not exactly the same. Apple will never display FLASH objects and I understand why and agree that security issues with a device you want to make the personal vault for your future plans takes presidents over everything else. But there are other differences.

So now is Google is questioning the TLD of .MOBI entirely !
https://webmasters.googleblog.com/2017/09/how-to-move-from-m-dot-urls-to.html

Not really. The methods everyone has used has burdened them with extra work once again and they want webmasters to fix this again. But it is easy to notice that the burden has always been on the webmaster and not Google or the manufactures of the devices to create some universal standards.
And they had plenty of opportunity to do so when they proposed HTML5.
It is easy to be forced to play google's game when they are threatening you with lower position in search results and is but one more example of how being big and powerful can save you money by burdening others to fix your problems.
But mind you that until someone creates universal rules, this issue will continue in some way.
Understanding how we got here is half the battle.

So what about .MOBI domains ?
In a world of the generic TLD, do they not still work ?
I contend they still work in the same manor of the Generic TLD.
Where some names make sense (complimentary) with the TLD.
I only hold about 5 .MOBI's that I have had since or before 2008
But China has just made them 'KOSHER'
https://translate.google.com/transl...7709/n4704651/c5512948/content.html&sandbox=1
So there may be some additional hope that they have some play in the CHiP's market if you have been holding some for many years as I have.

So the skinny is that I find them still a light duty investment tool for specific names that the TLD compliments the name. And figure it has some light to shine yet in the future. Albeit not a really bright one.
But you never really know what turn might be in the road next few years.

Your thoughts ? (please without the Generic TLD argument, this is about 10yr old .MOBI)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
i guess .mobi is dead. There is lot of best alternates available at the moment,so people won't consider .mobi as a extension.

however i am holding only 1 .mobi from 2015 (BitcoinWallet.mobi)

Hope any bitcoin wallet mobile company will buy it from me (y)

I am holding 1 domain in tld's like .mobi, .im, .biz etc., to test their market. But all these extensions are dead to me :lock:

•••
.mobi was dead on arrival.
The Internet is universal because it is device-agnostic for the most part.
They were trying to do the opposite. Trying to build some form of Internet walled garden.

The writing was on the wall: mobile Internet would surge and catch up with desktop capabilities.

What is funny is that Google was among the .mobi 'backers', always wondered why.

And then came .tel, another purpose-specific TLD. That kind of fragmentation has zero added value to end users.

Yet a .mobile TLD was delegated in 2016... but I guess it is simply aimed at end users in the mobile industry as an industry-specific extension.

I guess the lesson is clear: TLDs should only released after careful evaluation. For instance time-sensitive domains/extensions should be avoided.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back