Domain Empire

The future of .COM after new gTLDs boom! Big DROP?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

New.Life

THE.COMPANYEstablished Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@New.Life For the record, 2016 isn't done yet (so namebio isn't showing an option to show the results for 2016) but in 2015 there were 66,026 .com sales reported on Namebio. So in a period of one year 66,026 reported .coms were sold. In a period of also one year only 3 reported .group domains were reported on Namebio. The average sale price of that .group domain may be higher but that's to be expected if you have 66K of yearly .com sales, you can't expect all of them to be $10K+ sales. That's the same as some gTLD managing to sell 1 domain for $50K and then claiming the average sale price of that gTLD is $50K lol. It's true but it means nothing. For statistics to be correct you need a far greater pool of sales to draw conclusions from.

In the end what matters though is that it's obvious there is a huge .com aftermarket. With the new gTLDs you can't claim the same no matter how badly you want to believe there is one.

•••
The thing is, .com is selling way more than $2.4 million worth of sales per year.

The thing is,... .group sales also more than dnjournal reported! :xf.wink: ...and it just 6 month old (!)

You just decided to multiply reported dnjournal sales ,

I didn't decide, you noticed this in your first today's post using part of the article from dnjournal

If you want a real calculation of .com vs some .gtld then open namebio. Not all sales are there but there are far more reported sales there compared to dnjournal. Namebio has 325,439 .com sales in their database (that's the number of sales, not the $ amount btw). And they ignore sales under $100 (so the number would be far higher if they would include those as well).

So yeah, let's compare 325,439 reported .com sales with your 4 reported .group sales ;)

Real calculation? let's compare? Easily! :xf.smile:

.com

(domains)
325,439 (reported .com sales)
30 (years .com)

126,400,000 / 325,439 = 388 x 30 = 11,640

Score: one
of 11,640 domains was sold.

.group

(domains)
4 (reported .group sales)
0,5 (years .group)

11,700 / 4 = 2925 x 0,5 = 1462

Score: one of 1462 domains was sold.

.group domains were sold x 8 times more than .com

And about .group know only a tiny fraction of "internet related" people, but about .com domains know almost everyone who use internet!

•••
•••
The thing is,... .group sales also more than dnjournal reported! :xf.wink: ...and it just 6 month old (!)

I didn't decide, you noticed this in your first today's post using part of the article from dnjournal

Real calculation? let's compare? Easily! :xf.smile:

.com

(domains)
325,439 (reported .com sales)
30 (years .com)

126,400,000 / 325,439 = 388 x 30 = 11,640

Score: one
of 11,640 domains was sold.

.group

(domains)
4 (reported .group sales)
0,5 (years .group)

11,700 / 4 = 2925 x 0,5 = 1462

Score: one of 1462 domains was sold.

.group domains were sold x 8 times more than .com

And about .group know only a tiny fraction of "internet related" people, but about .com domains know almost everyone who use internet!

Lol again a flawed calculation. In the previous calculation you decided a year consists of 12 weeks.
In this calculation you're dividing by 30 years. .Com was available in 1985 but .com buys started in 1995-1998, not 1985 (so the correct number would be around 20). The internet was a new thing back then. Peopel didn't go online so why would they buy .coms lol.

The second flaw in your calculation is that you assume all 126,400,000 domains are domains belonging to domainers so only 1 in 11,640 gets sold to an end user statistically. When we can both agree that a LOT of those .com domains do not belong to domainers (unlike new gTLDs where almost all domains belong to domainers). Guess what? I sell 3% of my .com portfolio to end users each year (3 in 100 :) ). Ignoring my other wholesale .com sales. What percentage of your gTLD portfolio are you selling?

Ignore namebio statistics all you want (1+ billion .com sales , which is higher than all 1000+ new gTLD sales combined) but you're fooling nobody here.

Last edited:
•••
For your record one year of .group will be only June 8, 2017 :xf.wink:
Cool so maybe there will be one more .group sale in these 6 months to add to your calculation.

•••
•••
Yeah keep deleting stuff that doesn't make sense ;)

Too bad you didn't do it from the start of this thread or there would be few posts here from you.

•••
Btw you conveniently ignored my question

Guess what? I sell 3% of my .com portfolio to end users each year (3 in 100 :) ). Ignoring my other wholesale .com sales. What percentage of your gTLD portfolio are you selling?

But please answer my question and tell us all how good the new gTLDs have been for you ;)
Maybe even post another screenshot of that offer you once got on one of them?

Last edited:
•••
Yeah keep deleting stuff that doesn't make sense ;)

Doesn't make sense is when you are waiting for my message, then in a second send your message, in order to appear on the TOP of the NEW page! Left my massage behind.

This kindergarten! :ROFL:

•••
Guess what? I sell 3% of my .com portfolio each year (3 in 100 :) ). What percentage of your gTLD portfolio are you selling?

Who knows what's going on in your portfolio, you can say anything you like!

You have new TLD in your portfolio... (!) :xf.eek: Really?! Do article.marketing and really bad.ninja ! :xf.confused:

Maybe even post another screenshot of that offer you once got on one of them?

Ones again for very smart people - I'M NOT SELLING DOMAINS! I'M END USER!

•••
Who knows what's going on in your portfolio, you can say anything you like!

You have new TLD in your portfolio... :xf.eek: Really?! Do article.marketing and really bad.ninja ! :xf.confused:

Sure, I think I still have a dozen of gTLDs (actually had a few more but dropped a lot of them already). Figured I would give them a spin with a limited amount of money but since I couldn't sell a single one of them in the few years that I owned them I decided it was time to let them go. I gave addict.zone away for free in some thread on namepros not so long ago actually. So I have single hand experience with them. ;) Some people do well with them but those are the exceptions. Sadly too many people are trying to make it look like the new gTLDs are a wise investment just because there's a reported sale here and there (usually from a registry).

Last edited:
•••
Sure, I think I still have a dozen of gTLDs (actually had a few more but dropped a lot of them already). Figured I would give them a spin with a limited amount of money but since I couldn't sell a single one of them in the few years that I owned them I decided it was time to let them go.

Maybe you should give them to new.life he will soon report 30k 'offers' on a weekly basis on them.

•••
Sure, I think I still have a dozen of gTLDs (actually had a few more but dropped a lot of them already). Figured I would give them a spin with a limited amount of money but since I couldn't sell a single one of them in the few years that I owned them I decided it was time to let them go. I gave addict.zone away for free in some thread on namepros not so long ago actually. So I have single hand experience with them. Some people do well with them but those are the exceptions. Sadly too many people are trying to make it look like the new gTLDs are a wise investment just because there's a reported sale here and there (usually from a registry).

Epic fail .... No comments.... O_o

•••
Epic fail .... No comments.... O_o
Lol i never was hiding that 0.25% of my portfolio is new gTLDs. I've even mentioned it in several threads. They were a wrong investment. End of story. So I'm dropping most of them. If I wanted to "hide" them I wouldn't list them on my site.

But at least we agree on something finally: me buying them to start with was indeed an "epic fail".

Last edited:
•••
And now according to my visitor tracking he's looking at my site, browsing over every page and most likely trying to find more than 12 gTLD domains in my portfolio lol.

•••
They were a wrong investment. End of story. So I'm dropping most of them. If I wanted to "hide" them I wouldn't list them on my site.

But at least we agree on something finally: me buying them to start with was indeed an "epic fail".

Can you forward 418.club to my account since you're dropping? :) LOL

Thanks in advance.. :xf.wink:

•••
And now according to my visitor tracking he's looking at my site, browsing over every page and most likely trying to find more than 12 gTLD domains in my portfolio lol.

No that was me, just waiting for 418.club, you surely don't want to hold a new G, right?

•••
@mad409 It was probably you then yeah lol
Make me an offer on 418.club. ;) (wouldn't be a business man if I wouldn't try to sell it since you showed interest).

Last edited:
•••
@mad409 It was probably you then yeah lol
Make me an offer on 418.club. ;) (wouldn't be a business man if I wouldn't try to sell it since you showed interest).

Not that I really like it but if you're dropping new g's why not? PM me your lowest offer and let me see. I can do a deal now before I hit the hay!

•••
Not that I really like it but if you're dropping new g's why not? PM me your lowest offer and let me see. I can do a deal now before I hit the hay!
Well to be correct this is what I said

End of story. So I'm dropping most of them. If I wanted to "hide" them I wouldn't list them on my site.

You think gTLDs are valuable so make me an offer in PM proving to me how valuable you think they are ;)

•••
New extensions probably have cannibalized sales of .com and other extensions like .net .info .tv .co etc. At one point info had eight million registrations and then dropped to about 5.5 million before the CHIPs and numeric craze kicked in. I suspect once that bubble retreats .info regs will continue to decline. There has always been speculation in New extensions. However domainers are still limited in how much they can spend on acquisitions and renewals.

•••
s2-e15-go-bigger-go-homeless-comic.png

http://domaincomics.com

https://www.namepros.com/threads/th...hat-will-happen-to-new-gtld-investors.971597/

•••
Want to buy new gTLD, do it wisely!
It's easy, profitable and useful, if you do it - smart! :xf.smile:

•••
Newbies are correct that it is very difficult to find good .COM domains because the really good ones were taken fifteen to twenty years ago. Yes, you can lose money with .COM too. The danger with newbies registering new TLDs is that they still have not learned what makes a good domain name so they are likely to not be as selective as they should be. Selling domain names at a premium price is not nearly as easy as it seems to those entering the industry and reading weekly sales reports. It should also be noted that a large portion of published new TLD sales are registry sales as the registries can price their domains, auction them or hold them as reserved as they choose. Investors have to pick over the leftovers.

•••
Want to buy new gTLD, do it wisely!
It's easy, profitable and useful, if you do it - smart! :xf.smile:

The smart way to do it is to own the extension ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back