IT.COM

The future of .COM after new gTLDs boom! Big DROP?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

New.Life

THE.COMPANYEstablished Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are not enough suckers among end users, that's why they need domainers, who will be left holding the bag (unless of course they can find another bigger sucker).
I am not saying that people people buying new extensions are suckers. But paying high premium fees for average or downright mediocre domains in new extensions is being a sucker.

LOL The same is true for .coms :) So many left overs that no end user wants or refuses to pay premium for. Can't wait till the investment grade ultra premiums that nobody uses "market" bottoms out due to thinning margins and lack of interest. The bulk of the end user market could care less about these self proclaimed "ultra premiums"
average or downright mediocre domains in new extensions don't have premium fees.
Cheers

•••
1. most ppl may be lazy, but companies must be not lazy , they need to be outstanding,
they need shining brands and domain names
2. [prefix].[suffix] , prefix fit suffix, and suffix fit prefix ,this kind of domain name is the best ,the other same meaning alternative does not have a significant advantage = no reason to switch
3. i don't think .cc is a good alternative ,
a. in fact , the meaning of suffix also need to be considered into whole domain name , but .cc is not clear
b. the source meaning of .cc is cocos island, only hundred ppl live there ,there is a risk , we may lose .cc in future, think about that .yu .su ... have been deleted by icann , if there is no resident on island , .cc may be deleted by icann.
c. and .cc seems not successful enough, there are always around 2000 websites on alexa top million ,
before new gTLDS launching .co is better than .cc , it has aroud 6000 websites on alexa top million,
according to sedo report, .co is more popular than .cc ,domainers and endusers like to purchase .co ,if they could not get .com .
after new gTLDS launching, only 2 years, .xyz(2800+) and .online(2900+) have overtaken .cc on alexa top million ,
although .cc existed more than 15 years.

Nice to see someone doing actual research vs opinion
Happy Hunting

•••
Why are you putting so much effort into arguing with a domainer that has been in the industry for less than a month?

Just leave these guys to their dreams. If they do not want to educate themselves, good riddance.

New to the forum equates to new to the business ? NOT
Success in a monopoly market is relatively easy to accomplish. Good luck with that going forward. margins are thinning.
Believing .com will always be the best option demonstrates a level of ignorance that needs tending to as well.
Happy Hunting

•••
People accept that you cannot lease prime real estate for $10 annually.

We are nowhere near mass market acceptance of paying a premium price for a domain name in .Com - even amongst domain investors who want a domain name for their portfolio site.

So why do we have one percent annual turnover - 100 years of inventory and growing?

Why don't we launch .a. .3. .! Or travel!com travel#com. Travel$net. How many thousands of combinations can we come up with to waste more money on speculative registrations which only newbies will fall for?

Only newbies ? This statement is so far from the truth. Seriously, save the many corps that are investing and using New "G"s.
Save all of the top investors in this industry that are investing. Save them because you can demonstrate your more successful than they are. Good luck getting them to even answer your call or accept your email. LOL

•••
We keep the fire burning ❗

Honestly :
Some of the new doesn,t make sense
Some of the new are great and exact match ( .company etc )

.web will be a runner

.com is habit and i feel there will be good sales on some new gTld,s
.company doesnt make sense.

COMPANY (.) EXT is the only way to go

In a mobile world .Company looks ridiculous!

I start to thing that it is already to late for .web

Internet users aren't that dumb. They don't need to see COMPANY or WEB to know that it is a company website.

Just use Company (.) com or net tech xyz...

WEB doesn't sound futuristic anymore ;)

•••
noticed that not only the daily regstrations ,but also the alexa top million ,
the .com is always dropping ,
alexa top million , .com trend ---- 500,000+ --> 4900,000+ --> now is 483,000+

•••
Yesterday was one of the worst days in the history of .COM.

7.1.png

http://www.registrarstats.com/TLDDomainCounts.aspx

For last 4 days .COM lost about 336,000 domains

•••
your nGTLDs lose domains at least at the same rate or even more...

Last Week Net Gain per day -17,474

I find it strange that nGTLD proponents use this to 'prove' that nGTLDs are getting more popular.

Unlike .com they need cheap crap speculative Chinese regs so it's you who should be very worried.

Last edited:
•••
your nGTLDs lose domains at least at the same rate or even more...

Last Week Net Gain per day -17,474

You wrong! :xf.wink:

My new TLD are: .life .world .city .money .cash .today .land .vip + few more

Last Week Net Gain - Plus +

•••
You wrong! :xf.wink:

My new TLD are: .life .world .city .money .cash .today .land .vip .sex + few more

Last Week Net Gain - Plus +

no one cares about these... They have little to drop because no one bothered to register them in the first place.

•••
New gTLD Total Registrations:

Net Gain Last 4 weeks: + 950,204

•••
no one cares about these... They have little to drop because no one bothered to register them in the first place.

Amount of good diamonds always limited!
Who got them - won!

•••
•••
•••
.com losing mass regs is no suprise, people have been dropping speculative Chinese junk in bulk and yes unfortunately I am one of them. Just myself alone have just dropped close to $10k worth of 5l.coms regd from last year and we haven't even started with the Chinese investors who regd millions of $ worth of .com junk.

Verisign announced they were expecting this to happen a long time ago. We can expect this to continue for a while yet. As mentioned above new GTLD's in many extensions are not immune to this, there will be mass drops there too from the Chinese.

Last edited:
•••
So six months from now we should expect to find shorter versions of common sites with the .com erased...

Face.book
You.tube
Ama.zon
G.oog
B.ing
Ya.hoo
Ex.ped
Name.pro
SE.DO
Go.Daddy
Name.JET
Snap.Name
Esc.row
Pay.PAL
U.BER
Flix.NET
DOM.ING

•••
lol, Chips are dropping not .com brands

•••
New gTLD Total Registrations 24,746,607
- added 77,690
- removed 124,585
Net Gain -46,895

•••
I am a big fan of .XYZ but I think they will lose xxx,xxx domains by 2018. Random domains registered under $1 will
drop

Also, Tones of random .top domains will drop

Last edited:
•••
I am a big fan of .XYZ but I think they will lose xxx,xxx domains by 2018. Random domains registered under $1 will
drop

.xyz may lose few millions next summer. This is the power of "one penny" registration!

If .COM will get "one penny" promo registrtion?! How many domains it will lose? :xf.eek:

•••
.xyz may lose few millions next summer. This is the power of "one penny" registration!

If .COM will get "one penny" promo registrtion?! How many domains it will lose? :xf.eek:
Don't worry, that will never happen. .COM has no reason to dilute its value with 1 penny registrations. Artificial boosting of the registration numbers is more a new gTLD kinda thing.

•••

There is a kind of sweet spot for domain discounting that the registries and registrars use. Basically it is the discount for which they get the best renewal rate. What the .XYZ registry did was a landgrab. It wanted to get big fast so that the increase in new domain names would be larger than the number of deleting domain names. It is a kind of boom and bust business model. Not all of the discounted .XYZ domain names will be deleted. Some, strange as it seems, will be renewed. However the registry is now locked into a kind of business model that promotes discounted registrations.

Verisign is a very smart operator when it comes to domain discounting and in some markets, it is not necessary to use heavy discounting to grow the numbers of domains. The Chinese market is quite different from the rest of the world as it is still a relatively new and chaotic market. This means that the renewal rates are quite different to those in established markets and discounting is being used by registrars to grow their market share. However as with most discounted registrations, the renewal rates are not as good as fully paid registrations. The registrars know this and take it into consideration.

Regards...jmcc

•••
.COM have one smart and tricky thing "2 years" registrations, and the first year just $0,99.
So if someone want to drop .COM after first year, this is impossible to do (!) one more year to hold.

•••
And this "second tricky year" is The Super Artificial boosting!

•••

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back