IT.COM

The future of .COM after new gTLDs boom! Big DROP?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

New.Life

THE.COMPANYEstablished Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Any sales like that.

Why are you asking for sales the people who just "yesterday" registered these domains?! :xf.cool:

It's too early to sell! New gTLD are - NEW!

For example, I have a lot of domains, but they are NOT for sale.
There is my best list (not all of course)

https://www.namepros.com/threads/your-best-new-gtld-list.985807/

...and for all of these domains I got the real offers,
but I ignored them, because domains are simply not for sale.

I counter offered just 3 times:
- First, in order to see how it works.
- Second, I try to sell domain. But I counter offered the really Big price! )
- Third, just for fun, I sent $30K counter offer for very small initial offer, just a couple of days ago.

If you want to see the facts about "the end users want to buy new domains" - easily!

But, most of new gTLD owners - don't want to sell ! If yes, I don't want to sell for cheap! :xf.wink:

I got the offer for 4 words (!) domain "howtoget.money" - $2,000

The article was about this on OnlineDomains:

http://onlinedomain.com/2016/10/21/...owner-refuses-2000-offer-buyer-goes-com-2100/

And these are the real facts:

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

If you don't have new gTLD (or better say good new gTLD) you don't know what's really going on in this part of the World.

Sales!? Wait! And you'll see them a lot! :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
It's too early to sell! New gTLD are - NEW!

we are approaching the end of year 3...

Sales!? Wait! And you'll see them a lot!

1-2 sales per day on Namebio.

If you want to see the facts about "the end users want to buy new domains" - easily!

some end-users, most don't want to.

http://onlinedomain.com/2016/10/21/...owner-refuses-2000-offer-buyer-goes-com-2100/

Sorry, have to call shenanigans on this one. No way, no how would a worthless domain like that get a $20 offer, let alone $2k.

First, the phrase is completely wrong. The correct phrasing is “how to make money”. No one uses “how to get money” unless they’re foreign and using some crappy translator service. Nevertheless, it’s makes no sense in any English speaking market, and an end user would be even more sensitive to the common phaseology.

Second, notice that the seller is using this discussion thread to pump his/her other worthless gTLD domains above. There’s a saying that essentially says even bad media attention is good exposure. Well, in this case it would be extremely embarrassing to turn down $2k for something that’s obviously worthless. So there must be an ulterior motive…

However, if this exposure brings attention to the broader range of his reg fee pigeon shit, then that’s what every domainer is looking for…exposure for their domains! If that’s the case then kudos, it’s an innovative way of marketing that I haven’t seen before.

So bottom line is yeah, for many years we’ve all seen the crappy .com sales on dnjournal in the $2-5k range. But at least they were .coms and have some semblance of usability to an end user out there.

But pigeonshit.money? I’ve been doing this for 15 years and actually had to look up whether such a TLD even existed. On the off chance that this story is legit, what does that say about the state of the domaining industry these days? Are the quality pickings so slim that folks are truly reaching to the bottom of the barrel to try covering renewal costs?

Last edited:
•••
some of the best alt gtlds (old and new) out there is .biz and .info
How well have they been doing, all these years, compared to .com?

Guess most ngtlds will be regarded as "must haves" to the same extent that .biz has been regarded as a "must have" by the mass of web-businesses, and .travel has been regarded as a "must have" by the travel-industry.
I leave it to others to do the math...

Last edited:
•••
drops make up only a part of .com sales, even without them this doesn't change. Godaddy allows to track all expired nGTLDs that get sold so they do get reported as well. You can compare them.

I'm not sure what you don't understand, I'm not knocking .com but rather saying there is NO SYSTEM to track the new g's that are dropping, period.

Why are you always defensive? Geesh! Again go back and read my first reply..

•••
some of the best alt gtlds (old and new) out there is .biz and .info
How well have they been doing, all these years, compared to .com?

Guess most ngtlds will be regarded as "must haves" to the same extent that .biz has been regarded as a "must have" by the mass of web-businesses, and .travel has been regarded as a "must have" by the travel-industry out there.
I leave it to others to do the math...

I checked some of the nGTLD sales and found that many actually redirect to the .com so they might be protective purchases not intended for development.

Last edited:
•••
This stuff has been gone over many times. Startups use them at a very small percentage, many threads on this -

A lot of the stuff you guys post is just marketing mumbo jumbo. Or off the wall comparisons to stuff like 8 track tapes or Coca-Cola syrup.

** Just wanted to add the latest ones:
1 for 57

3 for 90

That's under 3%. All these startups have the world of new gltds to choose from......under 3%.

Look at the totals 2015 vs 2016 about a 23% increase in use of something other than .com
Using a 2 month snapshot is weak
Cheers!

•••
I checked some of the nGTLD sales and found that many actually redirect to the .com so they might be protective purchases not intended for development.

Happens all the time and domainers are making $, that's what we do... :)

•••
Look at the totals 2015 vs 2016 about a 23% increase in use of something other than .com
Using a 2 month snapshot is weak
Cheers!

why do you mention the percentage of the increase instead of the total marketshare?

Probably because the latter doesn't sound good at all.

•••
I don't see it that way because it's not reality, just wishful thinking, and nothing is pointing to that happening. It's just the ongoing new gltd investors trying to convince each other/sell each other on the idea. Their value isn't going to hop over .com. It's just ridiculous. Can't even recall 1 sale of that happening, yet in a few years you think this will be commonplace.

there is an opportunity coming up to test values.
Wine.Club sold for 140k at namescon. wineclub.com is up for auction this year.
Happy Hunting!

•••
there is an opportunity coming up to test values.
Wine.Club sold for 140k at namescon. wineclub.com is up for auction this year.
Happy Hunting!

a single sale is NOT a reliable test for anything... If you have a bunch of sales OK. To me this sounds like another desperate attempt to 'prove' that .com is not worth anything anymore. It's pathetic really.

If they were really selling so well they wouldn't need this crap.

•••
Nobody interested in my experiment then?

Oh well, I'll do it anyway. :)

•••
Last edited:
•••
Many .com's although I like them and buy them are dead in the wind or redirects too.

Domain King sale - 236.com, 50K back in the day, owned by the Huffingtonpost and isn't even being used.

Sure I'd like to see all new g's, cctlds become active sites but that's not how it works...

•••
•••
https://www.dynadot.com/market/auction/

You can look at any expired auction site to see what is happening.

It's mostly the legacy TLDs that are being bought.

This is where you're confused I'm not taking about auction sites but rather new g drops vs what has been purchased. Your list provided didn't say it was auctions, right?

Be more clear, what you said..

"This is just a part of the list from yesterday when some decided to buy a .com instead of a ngTLD."

Last edited:
•••
why do you mention the percentage of the increase instead of the total marketshare?

Probably because the latter doesn't sound good at all.

Using market share is yet another cheap shot. like comparing a start up to microsoft. The start up only has 3% market share. Duh.

If your perspective were to be true there would be no change yr over yr and 100% of start ups would be choosing .com
It is very clear that is just not the case.

.com will most definitely retain a large market share. New"G"s will attract a large % of the New Growth going forward.

It's absurd and irresponsible to suggest they won't survive. You can skip the "most won't" argument. Again. Duh.

Here's a no brainer. Several Hundreds of millions are being invested by several seasoned, highly successful people and corporations at this time in the progression and expansion of the internet. According to you, kate and other .commie types, they are idiots.

I would greatly appreciate it if the .commies would take a day off and rush out to save these people from the most grave mistake
of their careers and companies according to the .commie perspective.

Happy Hunting!

•••
But tell me the price now. You won't because you're just waiting for mine to finish so you can pick a number higher.

How old are you ? Seriously ? LOL

wine.club VS wineclub.com COMING SOON TO AN AUCTION NEAR YOU.

Also, take note of how much loooonger the .coms are vs others in this auction AND the increasing % of "others" listed yr over yr
for this auction.
Happy HUnting!

•••
Here's a no brainer. Several Hundreds of millions are being invested by several seasoned, highly successful people and corporations at this time in the progression and expansion of the internet. According to you, kate and other .commie types, they are idiots.

I don't know. It's you who call people names like (.commie)

I don't necessarily think they are idiots. I think what is happening is the money coming from:

Large non-tech brands. These are fairly clueless about domains in general they care about protecting their brand and don't mind spend millions on a new extension because that amount is insignificant to them.

Large tech brand like Google. These are usually forward thinking and have a lot of cash to spend and will invest in a lot of different things including the craziest projects, Personally I think they are trying to get in early in any internet related field to not fall behind. I don't think they have specific plans for domains. It's one of the many things they do.

Large Investors from the Domaining industry and other business people seeing an opportunity.

These would Uniregistry or companies like Donuts or Minds and Machines.

These people are certainly smart but they are in for the money not for changing the world.

Them succeeding doesn't necessarily mean that you(or the internet) will do well and they don't care about that. If they can unload their domains for more that they had invested they would be happy and couldn't care less about usage, long-term potential etc. For them it's mostly a money grab. It's the domaining industry after all not a charity.

The whole talk about progression of the internet is PR nonsense to sell you a product. What really happened is that ICANN sold the DNS for fun and profit. Now someone needs to pay the bills to cover the costs.

Last edited:
•••
I think this a good example how meaningless these discussions are.

First of all there will always be sales that break rules and don't fit into a general pattern. The question is how common they are compared to the sales that follow a rule or general pattern.

WIthout any knowledge about some details behind these deals it becomes meaningless to compare these sales without knowing how many times the opposite happened and someone bought the .com instead.

This is just a part of the list from yesterday when some decided to buy a .com instead of a ngTLD.

wccb.com
bdkw.com
dotnetshoutout.com
fech.com
slacked.com
naturalhormones.com
tesetturisland.com
videomessaging.com
stkz.com
cids.com
cgyt.com
fprl.com
mpjf.com
latinostrategies.com
wellscapital.com
worldsymposium.com
80159.com
guit.com
o97.com
alptech.com
txgo.com
newschoollearning.com
buddybear.com
fibex.com
e06.com
59012.com
10165.com
79095.com
19026.com
30726.com
360search.com
royallotus.com
obaly.com
suibianmai.com
acrobatica.com
urbantrade.com
wearablehealth.com
222665.com
882922.com
bayfish.com
tooply.com

You left out bought "for 99 cents". How many will get developed ? since they are available after 30 years probably NONE.
Cheers

•••
You left out bought "for 99 cents". How many will get developed ? since they are available after 30 years probably NONE.
Cheers

whta do you mean? These are sales not registrations.

•••
@dordomai

Serious question, do you still own your new g's or did you cancel them all?

I recall several...

•••
Nobody interested in my experiment then?

Oh well, I'll do it anyway. :)

Go for it, should be interesting if you can provide results..

Last edited:
•••
I don't know. It's you who call people names like (.commie)

I don't necessarily think they are idiots. I think what is happening is the money coming from:

Large non-tech brands. These are fairly clueless about domains in general they care about protecting their brand and don't mind spend millions on a new extension because that amount is insignificant to them.

Large tech brand like Google. These are usually forward thinking and have a lot of cash to spend and will invest in a lot of different things including the craziest projects, Personally I think they are trying to get in early in any internet related field to not fall behind. I don't think they have specific plans for domains. It's one of the many things they do.

Large Investors from the Domaining industry and other business people seeing an opportunity.

These would Uniregistry or companies like Donuts or Minds and Machines.

These people are certainly smart but they are in for the money not for changing the world.

Them succeeding doesn't necessarily mean that you(or the internet) will do well and they don't care about that. If they can unload their domains for more that they had invested they would be happy and couldn't care less about usage, long-term potential etc. For them it's mostly a money grab. It's the domaining industry after all not a charity.

The whole talk about progression of the internet is PR nonsense to sell you a product. What really happened is that ICANN sold the DNS for fun and profit. Now someone needs to pay the bills to cover the costs.

I prefer to see .commies as an endearing term for those with relentless dedication to a brand vs domainers with a relentless dedication to the industry.
Verisign, Wordpress, why would you leave them out of the discussion ?
Yes investors invest for the sole purpose of making money. That is their product.
Without investors the world would be progressing much slower.

Every industry evolves. Product categories expand, improve, innovate. Services expand, improve, innovate.
It's absurd to think this industry is immune from evolution. It's absurd and irresponsible to suggest .com is the industries only
viable solution to an expanding market.
Seriously, go save the clueless.

" Personally I think they are trying to get in early " You nailed it again!

All domainers are in it for the money. do you work for donations?

The "change the world" mantra is just as much BS as any other tag line. People that truly change the world don't go around
announcing it. they just do it.

•••
Chinese proverb--"一花独放不是春 百花齐放春满园" (A single flower does not make a spring)

•••
Chinese proverb--"一花独放不是春 百花齐放春满园" (A single flower does not make a spring)

You have to think anyway, so why not think big?

Donald Trump

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back