Dynadot

The future of .COM after new gTLDs boom! Big DROP?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

New.Life

THE.COMPANYEstablished Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Over 100s of leading companies spent money on getting their own new TLD. No one can't hide that truth.
If these companies truly believe in .COM they don't need to spend money on their own TLD. That's branding. That's not because they of they truly believe in .COM or .COM is a king.
Does anyone believe that they just grab their own TLD just for fun? No.
They will eventually move to their own TLD in near future.

doubt it. we won't see much in the next years,

Many of the powerhouses that invested in the new gTLD’s did it either for brand protection or redirection purposes and not really to develop a new product/service they intend to invest heavily in global advertising campaigns for.

http://scorpionagency.com/blog/geo-com-vs-geo-new-gtld/

•••
the most important is u should have premium .com domainname, if u only got rubbish .com .net , ......

•••
doubt it. we won't see much in the next years,
So now you are going to say that they spent money on their own TLDs just for fun? :xf.grin::xf.grin::ROFL:

Brand protection is already there. These big companies already made their brands as registered trademarks.

Last edited:
•••

my prognosis for 128,389,000 active

and add 29 m New "G"s

I will say your number looks pretty good by my calcs but I'm seeing new money on the New"G"s,
I don't see China coming back for .com till 2018, and big money USA cautious.
I'm also getting much higher first offers on New "G"s than coms.

See ya this time next year
Cheers

•••
So now you are going to say that they spent money on their own TLDs just for fun? :xf.grin::xf.grin::ROFL:

Brand protection is already there. These big companies already made their brands as registered trademarks.

if you got a TM you need to protect it. If you don't and allow others to use it it might become much harde r to defend it. There are some cases where TMs became common language and could not be defended anynore.

That is why they register their TM in many extensions. Amazon bought 1000+ domains in nGTLDs even when they make no sense like .hiv or .whoiswho.

They will never develop these they want to protect their TM from abuse and cybersquatting.

some nGTLD investors see these companies in WHOIS and conclude that they are investing big time and planning to use them. they don't intend to. It is part of their brand protection strategy.

It's been 3 years, if they wanted to use them they would have done so already. Don't wait for another 3 years to find out that nothing will ever happen with these domains.

200k is nothing for these companies. It's not a serious investment to them.

Last edited:
•••
if you got a TM you need to protect it. If you don't and allow others to use it it might become much harde r to defend it. There are some cases where TMs became common language and could not be defended anynore.

That is why they register their TM in many extensions. Amazon bought 1000+ domains in nGTLDs even when they make no sense like .hiv or .whoiswho.

They will never develop these they want to protect their TM from abuse and cybersquatting.

some nGTLD investors see these companies in WHOIS and conclude that they are investing big time and planning to use them. they don't intend to. It is part of their brand protection strategy.

It's been 3 years, if they wanted to use them they would have done so already. Don't wait for another 3 years to find out that nothing will ever happen with these domains.

200k is nothing for these companies. It's not a serious investment to them.

Your point may be valid with some terms like Amazon, Apple. So they may buy the TLD.

But take a look at majority of brands. Those are not generic words.

BMW, Volvo, McDonalds, UBank, HSBC, Walmart, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Lamborghini, Bugatti,Symantec, Audi, Epson etc. these are not generic names.

No one need to get these TLDs other than a company that gone crazy because the trademark owner can easily win the lawsuit.

Remember you can abuse their trademarks by using .COMs if you want to. No need to have a nTLD. So getting a nTLD NEVER helps to protect their brands. It's a ridiculous point.

They are getting those TLDs for branding not for brand protection.

Yes. 3 years gone. (But not for all TLDs)
Main business of these companies is not buying a domain name and building a web site. So they will move to their nTLD when they want. It takes time. They won't move to nTLD at the time you want.

Last edited:
•••
Those leading companies already have the .com usually, they are not taking any chance.

Now, just facts, not wishful thinking:

Fact: Even Barclays or Canon have not completely migrated to their own extension. Yet they are hailed as success stories but there are better examples.

Fact: the majority of TLD applicants have not moved to their own extension. What's holding them up ?

Fact: Two dozens TLDs (corpTLDs) have already been retired: List of retired new extensions
Plus, those that didn't make it to the delegation phase (but the applicants nonetheless lost the application fee). Example: .aquitaine. Clearly, companies are spending money for nothing. Have you noticed how the spin doctors of new extensions always report on the positive news (that is, not often and it's regurgitated stuff), but the failures are conveniently swept under the rug.

Fact: historically new extensions have never done well.

Fact: even support from industry heavyweight is no guarantee of success.

I still remember the discussions from ten years ago at NP, where they naysayers predicting the demise of .mobi were depicted as fools and ignorants. How dare we question the sanity of those big conglomerates, and the bright people leading their steering boards. As if domainers knew better than those companies, how arrogant !
How could a TLD fail when it has the backing of Google, Nokia, Microsoft and is embraced by prominent end users like BofA etc. Right ?
Plenty of projects will never see the light and die or fail on the market, It's just part of business.

What makes you think that even the most successful companies do not waste money, or take wrong bets sometimes ?
Just because you throw a lot of money at something, doesn't mean it will work.

•••
What makes you think that even the most successful companies do not waste money, or take wrong bets sometimes ?
Just because you throw a lot of money at something, doesn't mean it will work.
LOL. Then you are the man. You should be the CEO of all these fortune 500 companies and advise the management "Guys rollback. Don't waste money. This won't work. .COM is the king. I am the man who know that nTLDs won't work"
:ROFL::ROFL::-P

•••
It's like this,
The only cars people should buy are Ford, GM, Dodge. uuuhh.
You's people are carazzy to use a phone without an extension cord.
Why should I spend money on a word processor or computer thingy
when my typewriter works just fine?
Why use Color when black and white works?
The CEO of Verisign should be fired for wasting 130+mil on his web fetish sh....
Happy Hunting

•••
They are getting those TLDs for branding not for brand protection.

branding for what? For their main business, for internal stuff like jobs.brand, For internal emails, As a backup, just not to fall behind?

200k is nothing for a big company. It is not an investment.

If they wanted to use it for branding they wouldn't need 3 years to start. If they are not using it now they didn't have any plans. Do you see any of them being used for branding?

99% do not use them. If they were seriously into them we would see them being used.

Why do you think they need more time? Time for what? They don't need 3 years to switch URL.

If we were 6 months into the launch this might be still an acceptable interpretation. After 3 years the only possible conclusion is that it has been a huge fail and brand holders didn't move to .brand as some had hoped.

Last edited:
•••
Why should I spend money on a word processor or computer thingy
when my typewriter works just fine?
Why use Color when black and white works?
Why spend 185K+ on TLD application fees to drop the ball later ? Is that smart ? Not in my world.
Why spend 185K+ on a TLD and not use it actively ?

The CEO of Verisign should be fired for wasting 130+mil on his web fetish sh....
Maybe. Even for the sake of killing competition it's expensive. I am not saying Verisign are necessarily smarter either. Right now they enjoy a monopoly.

Why do you think they need more time? Time for what? They don't need 3 years to switch URL.
What we see from the BMW example is that new extensions are sometimes used for satellite sites, but large companies still maintain primary sites on .com and localized versions using ccTLDs.
They have limited faith. But they already spend a lot of money on brand protection, legal, and patents. You could argue that securing a new extension is just an extra item in the budget.

•••
LOL. Then you are the man. You should be the CEO of all these fortune 500 companies and advise the management "Guys rollback. Don't waste money. This won't work. .COM is the king. I am the man who know that nTLDs won't work"
:ROFL::ROFL::-P

the management probably doesn't give a damn about the new extensions or domains in general.

I don't think they have a special TLD branding strategy in mind or care about domain branding that much.

To them it's just a minor and insignificant expense

if the Google CEO were to switch from google.com to search.google he would probably lose his job.

•••
Thanks to everyone for clarifying what will happen to the future of the king after the big boom.
It took 24 pages to finger it out
.com is alive and doing fine

•••
the management probably doesn't give a damn about the new extensions or domains in general.

I don't think they have a special TLD branding strategy in mind or care about domain branding that much.

To them it's just a minor and insignificant expense

if the Google CEO were to switch from google.com to search.google he would probably lose his job.
Do you think the IT ormarketing or brand protection team (according to you) itself can waste such amount of money on a new TLD and renewals without any approval from the management team? :xf.grin:
They never waste money like that. Management team, specially CFO don't let them to waste money without any clear reasoning. This clearly shows you don't know anything about management and finance.

Google case
Why? Are you the main shareholder of Google, to kick out the Google CEO if he switched to search.google? :-P Don't tell ridiculous things. He never loose by doing such a thing unless you hold majority of Google shares who wants to kick out from the company because of this switch.

Last edited:
•••
Thanks to everyone for clarifying what will happen to the future of the king after the big boom.
It took 24 pages to finger it out
.com is alive and doing fine

I assume you meant "It took 24 pages to figure it out"? ;)

•••
Do you think the IT ormarketing or brand protection team (according to you) itself can waste such amount of money on a new TLD and renewals without any approval from the management team? :xf.grin:
They never waste money like that. Management team, specially CFO don't let them to waste money without any clear reasoning. This clearly shows you don't know anything about management and finance.

You got it mixed up. Your examples and reasoning clearly shows YOU don't know anything about management and finance.

Most likely you just started your bachelors in business management and have never worked a job in the sector. So for all your roll eyes and smiley emojis, you should turn them around. The rest of us are laughing at you.

If you ever worked at a global corp you would know how much waste takes place. How many resources are poured into dead end pilot projects and projects that never even reach that stage. 200K is a drop in the bucket. Its no money. Further you would know how hard it is for someone with knowledge to break through the walls and actually put that knowledge to work. Big corps are not agile for a reason.

•••
branding for what? For their main business, for internal stuff like jobs.brand, For internal emails, As a backup, just not to fall behind?

200k is nothing for a big company. It is not an investment.

If they wanted to use it for branding they wouldn't need 3 years to start. If they are not using it now they didn't have any plans. Do you see any of them being used for branding?

99% do not use them. If they were seriously into them we would see them being used.

If we were 6 months into the launch this might be still an acceptable interpretation. After 3 years the only possible conclusion is that it has been a huge fail and brand holders didn't move to .brand as some had hoped.

Most of TLDs for companies started delegating in 2015 and 2016. So it's not 3 years.

Branding/marketing takes time. They have to entirely change their marketing/branding strategy which takes time. It can't be done like you want. These giant companies have to do lot of planning. When to do the move, then find and hire models, create sophisticated ads, schedule ads showtimes including paper ads, do budgeting for these new set of ads and lots of work. It's not just a switch. It's take time.

•••
You got it mixed up. Your examples and reasoning clearly shows YOU don't know anything about management and finance.

Most likely you just started your bachelors in business management and have never worked a job in the sector. So for all your roll eyes and smiley emojis, you should turn them around. The rest of us are laughing at you.

If you ever worked at a global corp you would know how much waste takes place. How many resources are poured into dead end pilot projects and projects that never even reach that stage. 200K is a drop in the bucket. Its no money. Further you would know how hard it is for someone with knowledge to break through the walls and actually put that knowledge to work. Big corps are not agile for a reason.
I can see you own lots of .COMs. What to do. I know such people want to show that ,COM is a king otherwise they can't sell their domains at a good price. :-P

•••
Do you think the IT ormarketing or brand protection team (according to you) itself can waste such amount of money on a new TLD and renewals without any approval from the management team?

for a multibillion dollar company, 200k is not much.

Most of TLDs for companies started delegating in 2015 and 2016. So it's not 3 years.

Branding/marketing takes time. They have to entirely change their marketing/branding strategy which takes time. It can't be done like you want. These giant companies have to do lot of planning. When to do the move, then find and hire models, create sophisticated ads, schedule ads showtimes including paper ads, do budgeting for these new set of ads and lots of work. It's not just a switch. It's take time.

good example of wishful thinking. the reality is they are not doing anything with them.

Last edited:
•••
good example of wishful thinking. the reality is they are not doing anything with them.
Wait and see for 5 - 10 more years. You will laugh at yourself. :xf.grin:

•••
I can see you own lots of .COMs. What to do. I know such people want to show that ,COM is a king otherwise they can't sell their domains at a good price. :-P

I did close to 7 figures USD in sales last year selling my own and other peoples .com domains. How much did you sell of your new TLDs?

•••

another 2 years and it's 5 years after launch. If we don't see anything happen after 5 years it is very very unlikely that something will happen after 10 or 15 years.

keep paying renewal fees for 10 years if you think it is good idea. If you are making money, keep the domains if not I wouldn't renew them. you are just fooling yourself if you think the corps have big plans for the new extensions just because they bought some.

Last edited:
•••
I did close to 7 figures USD in sales last year selling my own and other peoples .com domains. How much did you sell of your new TLDs?
Congrats. But you may have a fierce competition with nTLDs in the future. ;)

another 2 years and it's 5 years after launch. If we don't see anything happen after 5 years it is very very unlikely that something will happen after 10 or 15 years.

keep paying renewal fees for 10 years if you think it is good idea. If you are making money, keep the domains if not I wouldn't renew them.
I don't have hundreds of nTLDs to renew. So it's not a problem. ;)

•••
Waste happens everywhere in every industry, I have observed it in food processing, in IT too, I have seen failed/unrealized projects costing $$$,$$$ and it wasn't even big companies.

At least two dozen applicants wasted millions on terminated application fees. It's a fact. So corporations do waste money on new extensions. Maybe heads should roll, but this is another debate. I don't understand that you keep denying this simple fact.
Keep in mind that 185K is just the application fee, the real costs are higher as they involve legal, marketing, consulting, feasibility studies, setup or outsourcing of registry service etc.

The failure rate is even higher than you think.
Some statistics courtesy of Icann: Program Statistics

Application Statistics: Overview (as of 31 January 2017)

Total Applications Submitted 1930
Completed New gTLD Program
(gTLD Delegated** - introduced into Internet) 1215
Application Withdrawn 586
Applications that Will Not Proceed/Not Approved 40

Currently Proceeding through New gTLD Program* 89

And what about the last 3 years ? They do not count ?
It's always, wait, wait, patience, later, later. As if something magic was going to happen all of a sudden.

•••
Dont waste facts on a fanatic.

He chooses to hope for a change in future instead of making money today.

Let him laugh all he wants. It makes such a peculiar rusty sound.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back