IT.COM

discuss The End For .WS?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
I just read this statement by Domain Shane.....I wonder if this will be true?

"Dot .ws officially collapsed today. Ok it didn’t really collapse, but a tremendous amount of keyword.ws domains are on the expired list. Words that combined would be tens of millions if they were dot com. They’re not even getting $12 bids. I’m not even sure how the ccTLD stays open other than me renewing my LL.ws domains. It’s a lot of pressure on me keeping the whole thing afloat."

Source: https://dsad.com/domain-shanes-daily-list-domains-auction-thursday-april-6th/

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
.ws has never been popular or investment-grade.

Aren't those LL.ws subject to premium pricing BTW ? Sounds like a bad deal, because there are plenty of better ccTLDs.

•••
This is the big danger with repurposed ccTLDs. The market has been moving away from them over the last few years as ccTLDs take more of the growth from the gTLDs at a national/country market level.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Doesnt .ws do emoji domains? That not doing well?

•••
Doesnt .ws do emoji domains? That not doing well?
Yes, but in reality, there aren't too many, I think. Not enough to maintain the service.

•••
.ws has never been popular or investment-grade.

Aren't those LL.ws subject to premium pricing BTW ? Sounds like a bad deal, because there are plenty of better ccTLDs.

Renewals are not premium. Purchase was around $1K.

•••
This is the big danger with repurposed ccTLDs. The market has been moving away from them over the last few years as ccTLDs take more of the growth from the gTLDs at a national/country market level.

Regards...jmcc

.tv would be a rare exception

It does have an acceptance with large companies and general public. For example, NHL.tv etc.

•••
Let me know if emojis are on the expired list okay thanks bye.

•••
•••
I just read this statement by Domain Shane.....I wonder if this will be true?

"Dot .ws officially collapsed today. Ok it didn’t really collapse, but a tremendous amount of keyword.ws domains are on the expired list. Words that combined would be tens of millions if they were dot com. They’re not even getting $12 bids. I’m not even sure how the ccTLD stays open other than me renewing my LL.ws domains. It’s a lot of pressure on me keeping the whole thing afloat."

Source: https://dsad.com/domain-shanes-daily-list-domains-auction-thursday-april-6th/

When everybody is selling it is time to buy - Warren Buffet :)

•••
Had me going there with your thread title- sheesh.

I wouldn't about it, .ws isn't going anywhere. They are one of the only extensions supporting emoji registrations.

•••
•••
I'm hoping someone will drop my first name. Unfortunately, the registry has my last name and is holding on to it.

•••
I don't own a single .ws domain as I never thought it would do well. If I was to pick up any it would be NN NNN .ws and that would only be on the very cheap side if possible...

It's sad to see people loose money in any industry...

•••
They could have made some money during the Chinese boom in 2015 but they woke up too late (when the CHIPs mania was already dying out)

Other than that they are pretty much invisible/unknown to potential end users - which makes them worthless as investment for domainers. It doesn't look like they are willing to spend money on marketing.

•••
Repurposed TLD's have waves when it comes to expiring auctions .. if there only 2-3 regular buyers and one goes on vacation, then the market would appear to collapse.

I'm pretty sure @Domain Shane didn't mean for his comments to be taken exactly in the way they are interpreted here. If you read between the lines you'll see his humour .. and more importantly (the way I *interpreted* what he wrote is that he feels .ws has been weak for a while. I think he was simply pointing out that there was an unusual bump in .ws going to auction that day, which if anything could serve as a reaffirmation that the .ws market still has a low pulse.

I think it's a big mistake to lump all types of TLD's into general catagories (in this case repurposed TLD's) .. .tv has been small but stable forever .. I personally like .co (have a nice sale in Escrow as we speak). While some others are pure crap IMO. On top of that .. individual domains can be good for specific TLD's if they are synergistic and bad in others where there is no logical link between SLD and TLD.

•••
Another big disadvantage for .ws is the way it has to be pronounced for oral communication. "dot double u, s". Compare that to "dot kom", "dot tivi".

•••
•••
•••
•••
Maybe popular one word names like Car.ws, Loan.ws or L, LL or N, NN are ok with .WS

•••
I have English.ws, Spanish.ws, illustration.ws

not sure how much they can sell

•••
I have English.ws, Spanish.ws, illustration.ws

not sure how much they can sell
Good ones..better to Develop or Semi-develop

•••
Post title - The end for .ws?
Yep.

.ws is absolutely horrible, just as horrible as .tv!

Ok so with that being said,
If anyone is selling any 1 character emoji .ws's please pm me!
Oh and if you are selling any of those awful dot TV's pm me those too!!!

Thank you. :)

Last edited:
•••
Post title - The end for .ws?
Yep.

.ws is absolutely horrible, just as horrible as .tv!

Ok so with that being said,
If anyone is selling any 1 character emoji .ws's please pm me!
Oh and if you are selling any of those awful dot TV's pm me those too!!!

Thank you. :)

if they are horrible, why do you still have an interest in buying them?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back