IT.COM

The .EMARAT Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Last edited:
•••

Yikes, a six-letter TLD...

Or is there an Arabic version (IDN)?

•••

My thoughts exactly, and you should see the one for saudi arabia, even worse.

They are pretty clueless out there.

•••

I think it is an arabic IDN, but I don't know much about IDN's so don't quote me on that ;)

its a .squiggly

•••

Well, I don't want to disparage a ccTLD, just because it's not familiar to me.

;)

•••
Last edited:
•••
what an amazingly terrible ccTld :imho:

this one makes .name look REALLY good!

•••
•••

Thank you- it continues to show the general lack of knowledge and ignorance regarding IDN.

Guess what some Arab countries already went live with IDN.idn http://www.namepros.com/idn-discussion/657803-history-is-made.html#post3836454 if your first/only language is Arabic which are you more likely to use in the future-your language or the foreign English language now that you have a choice :?

•••
It's: امارات.

That's what I meant...a .squiggly, or a squiggly. as they write right to left ;)

Thank you- it continues to show the general lack of knowledge and ignorance regarding IDN.

...or a general lack of interest on my part at this moment in time, although I agree 100% that its a good move to have domains in other languages...its long overdue :tu:

... if your first/only language is Arabic which are you more likely to use in the future-your language or the foreign English language now that you have a choice :?

Depends on if you are hoping to attract business from english speaking people or not (ie: tourists from other non-arabic speaking countries).

•••
Hurray at last recognition that not everyone speaks ENGLISH

•••
T

Depends on if you are hoping to attract business from english speaking people or not (ie: tourists from other non-arabic speaking countries).

I agree.What percentage of Arabic speakers do you think will run online businesses designed to attract non Arabic(English) speakers? Deduct that percentage from those that do not speak English and can now access the net in their own language for the first time- quite a lot methinks.:gl:

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Hurray at last recognition that not everyone speaks ENGLISH

Not everyone in the world speaks English:? You have to be kidding.:)

•••
I agree.What percentage of Arabic speakers do you think will run online businesses designed to attract non Arabic(English) speakers? Deduct that percentage from those that do not speak English and can now access the net in their own language for the first time- quite a lot methinks.:gl:

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Depends if you are asking about Arabic speakers in the UAE ( regarding the .emarat extension) or Arabic speakers worldwide?

I think the UAE (whole country) population is 8.19 million right now but it is increasing quickly. UAE nationals are the minority and represent around a fifth of the population. The rest of the population are expats from all over, India, Europe, Iran, Russia etc so Arabic domains may not be as important to them.

With such a massive investment in Tourism in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Sharjah & RAK I think the number of businesses that will be aiming to attract non Arabic speakers will be pretty high, mainly ones like hotels, flights, holidays, property, jobs etc although they will also be trying to attract arabic visitors as well.

So far the UK has been the main/biggest single source of visitors to UAE I doubt that will remain that way for long, they are already targeting new markets like china, japan cos Britains screwed :sick:

Just my random thoughts at the moment, seems like they're not that bothered about .com domains or .ae either, there's loads of really good .ae's left unregistered :-/

...maybe they don't like the Internet as a source of potential customers ?? ....good luck running a tourism destination like that :tri:

Did you buy any .ae's Wot or are you more interested in IDN's? I did come across a post on a forum where it looked like you owned golf.ae at one time, did you and if so did you drop it or sell it ?

Here's a good article from today talking about arabic language on the internet, interesting reading Wot

Microsoft and Google eye Arabic web growth potential

"Arabic content is less than 1 percent of world totals though speakers constituting 5 percent of the global population."

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/586735-microsoft-and-google-eye-arabic-web-growth-potential

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back