NameSilo

new gtlds The Eiffel Tower is moving to new gTLD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The anti-nGTLD brigade around here can't be too happy about this and .barclays. ;)

•••
The reality brigade doesn't care about low end fare when you're #1 and would point out there are plenty of sites out there on the Eiffel Tower. I guess this is the "official" one. The one without a dash, is just an image on one page. This one seems to have been redirecting to different sites in the past already including:

toureiffel.paris
tour-eiffel.wapldm.com

Then they have other sites like

tour-eiffel.biz
tour-eiffel.fr

etc.

Little scatterbrained to me.

Last edited:
•••
so, they will use a .PARIS ?

•••
well there is never a report when a brand moves from a new gtld to .com or when a brand chooses a .com which happens many times a day.

•••
•••
•••
people will like to visit the tower rather than there website.
Doesnt matter which gtld, the tower remains the same.

•••
people will like to visit the tower rather than there website.
Doesnt matter which gtld, the tower remains the same.

Same with Tripadvisor.com. People will still go on trips with or without it. :P

•••
well there is never a report when a brand moves from a new gtld to .com

Agree, I haven't seen these reports either, can you give me an example?

Ps. .COM is the domain king (together with Rick), we all know that.

•••
Same with Tripadvisor.com. People will still go on trips with or without it. :P
really??? if you want to compare something.. they should be similar..

•••
really??? if you want to compare something.. they should be similar..

Of course people will visit the Eiffel tower with or without the website. Anyway, an important attraction like this should have an official website, with information on fees, transportation, contact info, facts etc. All places like this have it and it is helpful. Fifteen years ago we bought travel guidebooks. Today we'll find the same information on our mobile. An official site makes us trust the information more as well.

If it is a .COM, .FR or .PARIS is less important... However the change might be interesting from a domainer's point of view.

•••
All gTLD believers are also strong believers in the "Infinite Monkey Theorem", where a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare.

Infinite gTLD Theorem - A scenario where there are nearly infinite gTLDs and the plausible eventuality that a handful of businesses will use them.

To conclude... in grade school I knew a girl who licked the bottom of her shoes; it didn't mean that it was a good idea or that everyone else should (or will) do it.

Taking small segment samples and then balking at the majority rule is just lunacy.

•••
•••
The whole point is, prominent websites running on new extensions are so hard to find that NPers engage in 'namespotting': the practice of finding new extensions that are actually developed :)

•••
Hi,

I believe it's pointless to compare a domain like .PARIS that became available less than six months ago, with TLDs that have been around for twenty years (or more). Why not wait a few years before we start to sum this up. Most 'everyday people' are not aware of these domains yet. It will take some time before we can draw any real and meaningful conclusions.

•••
Because it's always the same song: "it's been barely a year", "give it some more time"... Yes right.
Look at all those extensions released over the last 5 or 10 years and where they are now. It's not just a question of time. The problem is the product.

•••
Who was the lucky domainer to sell this and how much did he earn ?

•••
Can't get why they went from an hyphen .com to a dot (point) Paris.. Why not TourEiffel.com?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back