Dynadot

.de The domain website.de lost over $100,000 compared to when it sold in 2010

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sinh

Top Member
Impact
Here is the sale results: Nobody thinks this keyword lost too much money like this.

website.de 28,066 USD 2017-03-23 Sedo (Sedo GreatDomains auction)
website.de 101,150 USD 2011-01-10 Sedo
website.de 141,610 USD 2010-02-10 Sedo

Anyone know the main reason of losing money here?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
English keyword, too generic
.de ext

•••
Simple.. I think Sedo Great Domain Auction same like Namejet Namescon.. Mean No Reserve Auction..
Seller Put Domain There And Then Lost this Huge money.. Like Travel.Agency..
:xf.smile:

•••
Auction with No reserve = Stupidity
Domain market = Risk

•••
•••
Who is the real winner here. Its sedo. They made commission on same name like 3 times.

No reserve is a big no no. Some sellers just loose faith in themselves.

Look at asy.com --- seller going to get 12.5 k after the auction he would have gotten alot more at forums.

Pure stupid moves

•••
I am sure, the main reason is simply the TLD flooded / oversaturated domain market, it's current gigantic possibilities of registering a domain and these days easy going ways to 'create a website from 0 to 100' in a few minutes.
So why paying much for a specific domain?*
You simply can develop / advertise another domain!
*of course, there are exceptions

In this sense, my congrats to the seller - s/he most probably has made still a good deal under these newww circumstances.

Last edited:
•••
Plus, auctions are attended by domainers vs end users.

•••
Plus, auctions are attended by domainers vs end users.
this auction was not even attended by domainers or either end users. this auction was lacking the both.

•••
Lack of strategic planning and sometimes you just run out of luck.

•••
Sometimes we are too much intimidated by this so called Namescon and GreatDomain or any other conference or premium auction. We start consider ourself very lucky if our names get selected by this so called popular place and we start believing that we will get maximum exposure and we will get maximum price, but in reality most of Reseller burnout because of no reserve auction.

I won the name in Namescon for High $XXX which was sold in past for $30,000 . Now just imagine the loss to the seller.

So many time even as interested buyer I keep watching particular name for so many days and think that I will place my bid in last 5 minutes, but I missed the time so many times. It happens. It may be poor organization skill but it's reality. Sometimes there are 5 different names we have interest but budget is limited so we try to leave first couple names keeping in mind that I will try to win next one, but sometimes more interested buyer start bid war which goes above our budget. So ultimately we do not get anything at end of the day. So many other variable plays the part.

Auction is like luck. Sometimes it favors you and sometime not. Reserve auction is way to go if you want exposure for your name. But premium name in No reserve auction is like winning lottery. Sometimes Result comes in your favor or sometimes not.

Above scenario is only for Reseller who invested some money to resell for higher profit. The person who Hand registered domain is a winner anywhere if name sells for $XXX-$XXXxXxx range. But sometimes he may have to settle for less profit.

Everything is based on our purchase price and trend of that particular niche and how we plan to sell. Auction is like 50-50 sometimes you get lucky sometimes not.

We should always put Reserve price to back our investment.

There are so many other factors as well. But that's it for now. Hahhahaha ha

Thanks

•••
I guess they overpaid in the past

•••

I know which domain you have in mind, ha ha ! :xf.grin::-P:xf.grin::-P

•••
I know which domain you have in mind, ha ha ! :xf.grin::-P:xf.grin::-P
Your red coloring of the last sentence of your quotation of my posting tells me that you apparently know it indeed.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back