information The Demise of gTLD's?

NameSilo
Watch

cocaseco

Top Member
Impact
Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well you know what they say what opinions are like and everyone has one!

:xf.wink:

•••
2015 was supposed to be a big year for gtlds but instead the big story is the amount of Chinese money flowing into short and numeric .com's.

•••
not really just the numeric but Chinese domains in general. They are becoming equivalent to the stock market. From what I have been reading.. Took me a spell before it hit me just how big it is actually getting.

•••
not really just the numeric but Chinese domains in general. They are becoming equivalent to the stock market. From what I have been reading.. Took me a spell before it hit me just how big it is actually getting.

Ten or so days ago I submitted a blog article that eludes to this situation, a pity the article has not been released yet, good comment though

•••
•••
•••
Well the truth is somewhere between the 2 extremes. We are only just at the birth of all these new GTLD's. Most people don't even know they exist. Which is why those companies reverted to their .com's because they were losing significant traffic, and confusing those people who were typing in the .com name, only to find it was going somewhere else. As someone else has said. .com has been around for 30 years, and people know to type in the .com to get where they want to go.

But. Over time. As these New GTLD's become more mainstream, and the general public become aware, or even familiar, with them. This ignorance battle will ease. How long will this take? Who really knows? 5,10,15,20 years? I think, even if some kind of equilibrium is reached. .com will still be the premier extension to own, followed by the New GTLD most appropriate for the website. Both will be valuable.

There will be considerable upside in owning some GTLD's. But very considerable risks. For me, the risk/reward ratio is way too lopsided towards the risk with these new GTLDs. If you are a trader, you could do quite well churning these New GTLD's with usually lower returns, than a domainer who holds their .com's for the long haul. Some of the holding costs for these new GTLD's seem astronomic to me. The biggest winners will be the registries, imho.

Just my 2cents worth of opinion :)

•••
Nice post stub, this massive intrusion of new gTLD's hasn't been tested, has never been done before and it will take time for the final result.

•••
The next "facebook' will bring more attention to all this stuff .... but until then DOT COM

•••
domaining trends are often very unpredictable. who knows what will happen next? but that is what creates opportunities and that is what makes it more exciting.

I still remember some years ago everyone was so optimistic about exact match, type-in ,GEOs - the investments of choice.

I thought about purchasing a cheap LLL.com for low xxxx with some ugly letter like Z or Q because they were cheaper than the others, low quality. I didn't because it seemed risky with an uncertain and limited return.

Now where are type-in generics, geo domains, and where are the ugly LLL?

Last edited:
•••
The next "facebook' will bring more attention to all this stuff .... but until then DOT COM

you mean the new face.book? :) im still waiting to find out how the search engines will evolve into the new gtlds....

•••
I think it'll be a while before the new extensions gain any real value, maybe 5 - 15 years (I've got a few good ones for the long haul) The cool thing is that you can expect great names to drop every year as impatient people fail to sell their domains and give up on renewals :D

•••
•••
•••
You know what happen to that! and why it was invested into. (China)

this is just what I decided after reading SEVERAL articles online. to name one in particular that helped me see what is going on I will supply a link. Here is a small quote from the site and the link will be below it:

John Daly, NameConnect.com:

If you have been reading recent news global investors were preparing for a downturn in the Chinese market. This is not the first nosedive the index has seen, Chinese investors over the last twenty years have lost big time due to volatility and have come to treat the stock market as a side investment or hobby. This is shown in their investment style, they are prone to short term trades (a whopping 65% of investors trade once a month) which indicates more speculation rather than long term planning which then lends to instability.

There will be a short term hold on buying but once there is a sign of recovery purchasing of domains will come back full throttle. In part the reason you see so much interest coming from China is due to their seeking of alternate external investments, many do not trust the stock market to put a large enough portion of savings there. At least this is what I gather from reading reports and speaking with people in China.

http://www.domaininvesting.com/impact-chinese-stock-market-domain-names/

•••
Why is it that when interest and sales increase rise in varied extensions and especially China involvement that people say its a bubble before it has ever really started?

:xf.eek:

•••
I think right now, nobody actually Knows...

•••
what is wrong with geo dot coms? haven't seen any for sale for even small/midsize US towns.

•••
what is wrong with geo dot coms? haven't seen any for sale for even small/midsize US towns.

I haven't seen much about them anywhere?

•••
Why is it that when interest and sales increase rise in varied extensions and especially China involvement that people say its a bubble before it has ever really started?

It's a bubble, already. The Chinese with all their buying power have already created a bubble. There moving their funds from a property and stock market bubble. It's only a matter of time when it will burst and what the floor price will be when it does burst. This could go on for years before the bubble bursts. It could be only a matter of months. Nobody knows.

•••
Honestly, I hope it is a bubble for LLLL dot com, as I miss buying them at good prices )
Yeah, and would buy few LL.com as well, if the bubble would be huge and they go to x,xxx level, for example )))

•••
The prices of LLLL.com from 1 year ago are probably gone forever. I never followed the prices of LL.com because I could never afford them. Well maybe I could if I sold the rest of my portfolio :(

•••
Prices from 8 months ago are fine too ) Anything pre-bubble )

•••
•••
Back