Domain Empire

The art of waiting

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

62.com

Established Member
Impact
Hi all,

As a domianer/domain investor, have you given up a domian name after 6 or 12 months of waiting? And what's the reason that make you do that? Let's talk about the art of waiting in this field of domaining.:xf.grin::xf.wink:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The more sure you are for your name, the easier will be for you to wait.

•••
If you have 500 good domains and your sell-through rate is 2% / year at end-user prices, then you will sell 10 domains in the first year, 9.8 domains in the second year, 9.6 domains in the third year etc. (provided you don't add any new domain into your portfolio, and provided these domains are all good, and you can achieve 2% STR).

In 20 years you will sell 160 domains at end-user prices. (you can calculate this in a spreadsheet)
Problem is, you don't know in advance which 160 domains will be sold, so you must keep all your remaining domains each year.

If you just wait 1 year, then you will sell only 10 domains at end-user prices, and you sell the rest only at wholesale prices or you drop them.

Last edited:
•••
For me it will depend on 2 things:

The prices of the domains I sell in year 1. For example, if I make two sales and those sales equal or exceed my renewal costs of entire portfolio, I will probably renew ALL domains for one more year.

If I do not achieve revenue in year 1 that equals or exceeds my total renewal cost, I will be brutal with the number of domains I will renew, keeping only the best IMO

•••
Giving-up on a domain after 6 - 12 months tells me it wasn't a thought-through registration in the first place.

I usually refer to those as the 2am Vodka inspired

•••
Hi all,

As a domianer/domain investor, have you given up a domian name after 6 or 12 months of waiting? And what's the reason that make you do that? Let's talk about the art of waiting in this field of domaining.:xf.grin::xf.wink:

As a newbie, yes. Not well thought-out purchase. Cut losses and moved on. :)

Dropped domains later too, due to various reasons, like annual culling of poor domains(relatively).

•••
Yes and no.

If you don't get any offers, perhaps the domain needs to be re-evaluated. Either renewed, or sold at clearance.

If you get offers but they aren't what you know the domain are worth, well, you might need to wait as necessary.

If you have lots of domains and no offers / purchases, it depends. I don't wait on these. I experiment until I find where the market has shifted. Then I make them sell. Or wait. Or discard.

Again, it depends.

Some users don't touch their domains for years. I do update them frequently and reprice things each 2 weeks or so. Sometimes even more often.

Edit: But waiting is definitely part of the job. In general, if the name appears good to you and you haven't waited at least 2 years and still own it, you're probably too much in a hurry.

Last edited:
•••
Since I am somewhat impatient, I have to do something...and I can't afford to jusy buy, buy, buy.

So, I review my portfolio, review renewal dates, add details to my spreadsheet to track everything, decide what I may drop and decide what to do with these.

Usually, if I am going to drop I will lower prices about 3 months out from expiration, 2 months, 1 month

This year, for my 'definite drops' I am going to try Name Liquidate (at least maybe get $9 if not more). Figure it's better than dropping.

Review quality of my names. For example:Does each domain contain quality terms, where thos words have recent sales on Namebio etc.

My point is: There's a LOT we can do while we 'wait'....

•••
My point is: There's a LOT we can do while we 'wait'....

Yes. For me, any of the domains that can command traffic on their own, I'll develop them while waiting.

•••
The "art of waiting" is waiting for art to exceed price of domain. Right now a pokemon card has merit in this world. face :yawn:palm.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back