IT.COM

tips Ten Commandments of Domain Investing

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
  1. You shall place no other extensions before the king, which is .com.
  2. You shall not envy your neighbor's trademark nor infringe upon it.
  3. You shall pay attention to spelling and check it thrice.
  4. You shall avoid numbers and dashes as a general rule.
  5. You shall use escrow for large and/or risky transactions.
  6. You shall learn all you can, and avoid registering many names until you know what you are doing.
  7. You shall remember social-media and register matching usernames when available.
  8. You shall drop or liquidate domains that are not worth renewing.
  9. You shall always act ethically and professionally in your dealings.
  10. You shall remember to pay your renewal fees!
I tried to see if someone had done this before and I wasn't able to find anything, so this is what I came up with. My goal was to help people new to the industry understand some of the basics and avoid some of the pitfalls so I wanted to compile some "universal" basic rules of domain investing, although I know that there will be exceptions.

Any feedback or suggestions?

Matt
DigiNames.com

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  6. You shall learn all you can, and avoid registering many names until you know what you are doing.
  7. You shall remember social-media and register matching usernames when available.
I tried to see if someone had done this before and I wasn't able to find anything, so this is what I came up with. My goal was to help people new to the industry understand some of the basics and avoid some of the pitfalls so I wanted to compile some "universal" basic rules of domain investing, although I know that there will be exceptions.

Matt
DigiNames.com

That's a great list -- it has some wisdom in it and the inspiration is clever too. Put it on a graphic with stone tablets and it is a domainer meme. :)

"You shall honor your profession through advocacy and ombudsman work".

I think you could use that one instead of #4 since numbers and dashes can be good. I don't think that particular one will age well considering how many folks made fortunes on number domains.

•••
Great list.

This should be number 1 though. :xf.smile:
  1. You shall learn all you can, and avoid registering many names until you know what you are doing.

•••
That's a great list -- it has some wisdom in it and the inspiration is clever too. Put it on a graphic with stone tablets and it is a domainer meme. :)

"You shall honor your profession through advocacy and ombudsman work".

I think you could use that one instead of #4 since numbers and dashes can be good. I don't think that particular one will age well considering how many folks made fortunes on number domains.

Thanks Rob, I really like your idea about giving back to the industry.

I was a little unsure about #4 because obviously there are some high-dollar number domains and even hyphens, but in most cases numbers and hyphens really hurt the value. That is why I put the "in general" at the end, but I am still open to the possibly of changing it. I think I would rather use your idea to replace #7 about social media. While social media usernames are a good idea, I am not sure it is a hard and fast "commandment" like some of the others. Those are the two that I was a little on the fence about.

•••
Thanks Rob, I really like your idea about giving back to the industry.

I was a little unsure about #4 because obviously there are some high-dollar number domains and even hyphens, but in most cases numbers and hyphens really hurt the value. That is why I put the "in general" at the end, but I am still open to the possibly of changing it. I think I would rather use your idea to replace #7 about social media. While social media usernames are a good idea, I am not sure it is a hard and fast "commandment" like some of the others. Those are the two that I was a little on the fence about.

Sounds fine. Small edit on my suggested text:

"You shall honor your profession through advocacy, mentoring and ombudsman work".

There are a bunch of folks who do this now in the industry. If more folks did this, the industry would grow faster as more folks would gain confidence, particularly in emerging markets where there are some great success stories taking shape from bootstrap entrepreneurs figuring out how to connect buyer and seller and do so profitably with low risk. There is a lot of unsold inventory but not enough folks hustling to move that inventory. I see great potential there but there will be a learning curve, which is where sites like NamePros play a great role in connecting folks with useful content in an approachable way.

•••
I tend to see a lot of unnecessary idolizing in this industry. For that reason, here is a suggestion.

"You shall not make for yourself any domain idol, nor bow down to them or worship them."

Last edited:
•••

"You shall honor your profession through advocacy, mentoring and ombudsman work".

There are a bunch of folks who do this now in the industry. If more folks did this, the industry would grow faster as more folks would gain confidence, particularly in emerging markets where there are some great success stories taking shape from bootstrap entrepreneurs figuring out how to connect buyer and seller and do so profitably with low risk. There is a lot of unsold inventory but not enough folks hustling to move that inventory. I see great potential there but there will be a learning curve, which is where sites like NamePros play a great role in connecting folks with useful content in an approachable way.

Here, here! Great recommendation. I've updated the list:

7. You shall honor your profession through advocacy, mentoring and ombudsman work
still open to thoughts/suggestions.

•••
It is a list with lots of wisdom presented in an engaging way. Thank you @thedomainster !

#4 You asked about 4 and I think it is fine as you state it, as a general rule. Most rules of thumb are meant to be broken, and this one is no exception, especially if you live in Germany! But as of today in most of the world as a general rule it is true (although I do notice that most days on NameBio sales above $1000 there are both number letter mixes and also hyphens, and in .de 17% of domain name sales have hyphens).

#7 I love that you included this and also #9. So important.

#10 I presume you mean when there is intention to pay the renewal fee, not always (consistent with your rule 8).

I also feel the social media should not be on same level as others. Some social media have TOS I believe that preclude selling them or registering them for purposes without active current use (I may be wrong)
While social media usernames are a good idea, I am not sure it is a hard and fast "commandment" like some of the others.
If I had a rule on social media it would be around using it responsibly and effectively as a domainer. I think that LinkedIn and Twitter in particular can be helpful if used properly.

I would add a rule about only investing what you can afford to potentially lose, and only investing in any domain name after carefully researching that name with an eye on potential end use.

Thanks again for a great list!

Bob

•••

Rob....sounds to me like there may be some pretty big changes coming based on Verisigns observations about how this industry has worked for the last 20 years. When I arrived on the scene in November 2017, it just didn't make sense that an investor buy a few names and list them with the likes of Uniregistry, Afternic and Sedo then wait for years and hope and pray that an "end user" might find them and pay a premium price. That business model didn't make sense then, and It's still seriously flawed. As you know my critics haven't phased me in the least, and to the contrary I've only been encouraged to find a better way. There's ALWAYS a better way Rob, and you wouldn't have achieved the success you have if you thought the way some of your industry peers thought. Maybe one of the commandments should be to NEVER EVER give up, especially if you love what you do:xf.grin:

•••
I fell good about most of these, but I still feel like rule 4 is a bit wishy-washy. Obviously some of the highest-dollar liquid names are numbers. Any better way to word it or any other suggestions for a better “commandment” to take its place?

•••
Thank You; so much appreciated this thread.

I used all of those, personally I added a few more when I started in this industry in 2013.

11. I have too understand the industry I'm buying in. For me I only have Cannabis domains. That's all know, and farming.

12. Only two word domains, only in Seo. I don't do brandables. Easier too collect harder too sell.

13. I'm in the game for end users, go big or go home. Prices for me are $1500 to$2500. I paid $8

14. I vehemently defend Leaf as a forward looking branding option in Cannabis. I have 800 more too sell. Plus 750 more in CBD, Hemp, Canna etc.

15. I always am thankful and respectful to everyone here, like what did understand about domains? I went right here and learned. Not a hyphen, non .com, number, or well 1 thru 10 in my inventory.

And again thank you.

•••
It is a list with lots of wisdom presented in an engaging way. Thank you @thedomainster !

#4 You asked about 4 and I think it is fine as you state it, as a general rule. Most rules of thumb are meant to be broken, and this one is no exception, especially if you live in Germany! But as of today in most of the world as a general rule it is true (although I do notice that most days on NameBio sales above $1000 there are both number letter mixes and also hyphens, and in .de 17% of domain name sales have hyphens).

Bob

I sold my first hand registered domain to a person in Germany and it was with hyphen. After that sale I started building my domain portfolio and getting involved in the domain industry til today. I guess you’re right, Germans love and use the hypen domains.

•••

Matt
DigiNames.com

Can you please shade more light on Point- 7, and your past experience with it?

•••
Back