Dynadot

Technical Definition: "Domainer" and "Domain Investor"

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Ategy

Arif M, NameCult.com TheDomainSocial.comTop Member
Impact
I think most of us are similar in how we define the word "Domainer" and term "Domain Investor", but I was wondering if anyone ever really established a technical definition? More importantly, I'm curious what all of you think?

Maybe something like ...

"Domainer" / "Domain Investor" .. someone who has:
#1 - Registered/purchased more than one domain with intent to sell
#2 - Listed more than one domain for sale.

#3? - (Maybe also) .. Renewed more than one domain.
(Otherwise maybe more of a hobbyist/speculator if they gave up on their domains before maximising the chances of their investment)

Or possibly also:
#4? - Someone who has sold at least one domain that they originally purchased with the intend of reselling for profit (without development).

Also I'm thinking for that last one, it's more the difference between a successful domainer and a non-successful domainer (with both possibly being "domainers" as long as #1 and #2 apply), curious what you all think about someone needing to successfully sell a domain for profit in order to be considered a "Domainer"?

I think I'd also be correct in assuming most of us define "Domainer" and "Domain Investor" as being the same thing, but please post below if you think differently and let us know why? :)

I didn't really think too hard on this before posting, so likely leaving out some obvious perspectives. Please add your thoughts! :)

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Seems ok to me.
A person who makes a living in the cyberterritory, making his fortune investing in the field of domain names, buying and selling the Internet's most valuable virtual "real estate".

yeah but classifying it in slang dictionary, doesnt do word justice.not real word, would you really consider “slang”? nah. profession.

•••
•••
Domainer: Buy and sell as Daily job.
Domain investor: Buy and hold for multiple years tend to sell them when time has been matured. (Mostly just leave it there not doing too much research and following trend)
Domain Day dreamer: waiting for jackpot above 1 million.

•••
what about domain collectors? I know some guys they are just hodl without selling.

•••
Domainer : focus on selling domain to make a active income

Investor : Build an assets through some valuable domain , pay renewal with their passive income , and never engage directly in reg , renew , and transfer. They build strong system to make more passive money every time.

•••
Shouldn't it be 'domaineer'? I was always under the impression that the correct term was the one with the double 'ee'.

Sounds like “platypuses" "platypus". "platypi"...

all correct ways say (tho dont see much “ee”..)

Last edited:
•••
I think most people tend to use the terms interchangeably, but I would consider a "domain investor" to be a slightly higher level than a "domainer".

When I think "investment" it factors in a lot more than just buying some random domains.
You need some type of business model or plan.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad seriously,
is “domaineer” correct? the word doesnt exist technically; see “ee” spelling once a blue moon

Though agree with everything you just said.

Samer

Last edited:
•••
When asked, I've always just said domainer and you get that split second of the person having no idea what you're talking about, but I follow that up quickly with, I buy and sell domain names.

I've always like the 1 word domainer, sounds powerful like dominate or Conan. Or course Conan the Barbarian or Conan the Destroyer sounds tougher. Domain investor I might start using.

As far as domainer being in the dictionary. Never been a big deal to me, I know somebody else constantly brings it up. Not in some major ones but dictionaries are a dime a dozen on the internet:

https://www.yourdictionary.com/domainer

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/domainer

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=domainer

etc.

Not so enthused

urbandictionary the equivalence of “The Onion”

Cant complain about other 2

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
English speaking people don't know English?

Domainer = The person who holds domain

All other things are secondary.. IMO

•••
I remember first hearing the name Domainer in about 2006 I think it was, I can’t remember who I first heard it from, any ways, I think Domainer is just a common person who buys domain names, they may sell some , but not on a “Domain Reseller” or “Domain Investor” level.

•••
I will go with Domain name Investor. I think this adds some seriousness to the practice and creates that sense of business. Personally, I will not use the amount invested in buying a domain as a yardstick for measuring who a domain investor is. It has to do with the mindset and how you see what you are doing. Let's look at real estate investment, for instance, it's not defined by the amount you bought the property because property appreciates with time so also are domain names. We should look beyond the amount invested and focus on the intention and projection of the person. Let's also look at startups, they start small and grow big then sometimes the business is sold. It is all about your personal agenda, projection, I mean what propelled you to putting that cash into a domain rather than buying and eating a burger. Thanks, @Bob Hawkes for this write-up.

•••
<--- I guess I am a domain investor then... :)

•••
I often wonder... how we got stuck with the "domainer" label(s).

'Domainer' carries the same connotation as 'Homesteader', so people relate it to squatting on public property.

Every field is a 'domain', so the term is also too nebulous to brand. In real estate, by comparison, each property is a domain but the industry sells 'homes'.

Also, virtually everybody online is a 'domainer'. They're just using corporate, ad sponsored, domain platforms. And many of those 'Domain Investors' make more profit on YouTube, FaceBook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc., than most 'professional domainers' make from 'monetizing' parked domains & name sales.

The fact that the term 'domainer' gets red flagged as a misspelled word on the web's top domain forum is sad and funny at the same time.

•••
Domainer = a fellow domain seller/buyer
Domain investor = a domainer with a domain-related blog or website
Domain speculator = that lucky bastard who makes a living from selling domains
Domain squatter = the mofo who regged MY domain

[edit] forgot to add: :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
I have the license to DomainingMagazine.com for three years, thinking the word "domaining" is widely accepted. If it isn't then my domain is worthless (If it wasn't already)

But I think domainer and domaining is now acceptable English

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back