NameSilo

Taxation on domain name sales

Located in Legal Discussion, started by maxtra, Mar 14, 2018

Replies:
Views:

1. maxtra

maxtra Let's make a deal VIP

Are domain name sales taxed in the same manner as stocks, real estate etc. as capital gains if they have been held for over a year, or are they taxed as income?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. keltron72

keltron72 Established Member

This is a very tricky area. And it really depends on many factors. But technically a domain name itself is a non tangible 'product'.

But to clear things up- Are you doing this through a business you own? Or as an individual? Also are you talking about a one-off transaction or do you have a number of domains which you sell on a regular basis?

Also are the names associated with a business you run?

3. maxtra

maxtra Let's make a deal VIP

Individual at the moment, thinking of creating a LLC soon. Multiple transactions. Negative.

Thanks.

4. keltron72

Im gonna have to pm you the next question, it's pretty blunt about what you are ideally seeking/ wanting to pay. etc.. Because you do have several options as I currently see it... Feel free to answer on here, but i'll put my question to you privately 1st. PM sent :)

5. keltron72

Although I will say that if you are based in USA its probably best talking with an accountant about this. Especially if you think there's a possible future here- either with selling or advertising on more domains, websites, etc.

6. creataweb

creataweb Some Guy with Awesome Senior High School Photo VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Consult a professional, this will vary depending on many factors.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice