IT.COM

Take this Dropcatcher survey, get rep+!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've been working on a new dropcatcher. So far it's just been for personal use, but I really like it and I'm thinking of developing it into a public site. I need some feedback as to whether people would use it or not.

Note: This dropcatcher is not intended to compete with SnapNames or Pool. It works well for picking up names from domain tasters though, and costs much less. I think the price will be $7.99 per .com/.net/.org/.info caught successfully (that's a subject of the survey).

It's been running about a week, and so far it's caught me all the names I wanted from tasters that dropped.
It also works as a drop-notifier. You can have it watch names and email you when they drop. Here's a screenshot from the interface (this is from earlier in the week, it has more stuff now): http://survey.amoeba.net/dropbot.png

Here's the survey: http://survey.amoeba.net/
Include your NP username so I can give you rep. Please also post in this thread when you complete a survey, it makes adding rep much easier. Also, feel free to share your thoughts on the idea here. Is this something you would want to use?
Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Took the survey. Looks very interesting!

•••
Also did the survey, when are you planning the beta?

•••
Wow, my first multi-page thread! :)

Now, almost as important, it needs a name. The two I've thought of so far (that are available) are DropSentry and Droptastic. Which do you like better? Or does anybody have other ideas?

•••
•••
•••
•••
Sounds interesting and worthwhile. Always looking for alternatives.

Be careful that users understand your capabilities. This is a lot like what registerfly's original expirefish did. They could cheaply monitor and autoregister low profile names that were not being seeked by snap, or pool, but would never win on a popular drop, and didn't necessarily attemp on a minute or hourly basis, but maybe daily. However, they called it a backorder and everyone expected it to catch names competitively against the big boys. Most were disappointed, but at one time I was getting some lower profile non-coms that were moderately valuable or niche domains, but maybe not worth the $60 pool/snap starting price.

•••
Survey done, i'm definitely in for a beta test!

IB

•••
•••
•••
Survey Completed, Very interesting , I am interested in this, For sure :)

•••
amoeba said:
Wow, my first multi-page thread! :)

Now, almost as important, it needs a name. The two I've thought of so far (that are available) are DropSentry and Droptastic. Which do you like better? Or does anybody have other ideas?

pm'd you my idea.

g-

•••
nice survey i completed it! :) I like the idea of your service!

•••
Did the survey. Just wondering - do you own your own registrar or are you a reseller?

•••
Done deal, sounds interesting.

•••
AdoptableDomains said:
Sounds interesting and worthwhile. Always looking for alternatives.

Be careful that users understand your capabilities. This is a lot like what registerfly's original expirefish did. They could cheaply monitor and autoregister low profile names that were not being seeked by snap, or pool, but would never win on a popular drop, and didn't necessarily attemp on a minute or hourly basis, but maybe daily. However, they called it a backorder and everyone expected it to catch names competitively against the big boys. Most were disappointed, but at one time I was getting some lower profile non-coms that were moderately valuable or niche domains, but maybe not worth the $60 pool/snap starting price.
Exactly, thanks for summing it up really well. I did state that it's not intended to compete with the big guys in the original post, and further down the first page, but I think some people aren't reading the thread fully. :hehe:

Right now it's checking each name every 10 minutes, more frequently during the times when it's more likely to drop. So rather than a "hammer the registry with requests from hundreds of drop-registrars" backorder, think of it more as a ninja hand-reg.

Although I do know a guy caught ee2.com on dropfly way back when, so hey, sometimes you get lucky.

Edit: What do you guys think of DropNinja as a name?

•••
Survey completed. Please contact me when you are in beta.

Matt.

•••
Thanks for the continued feedback. I'm out of rep points for the day, apparently, so I'll add em tomorrow for everybody who contributed.

A couple of questions I didn't think to put in the survey:
1) How important to you would it be to be able to catch .cc/.tv/.ws/.in/.uk/.mobi? Should I implement this?

2) Would you be interested in a one-click registration feature? for when you just gotta grab that name instantly...

3) So far, when I have it set to email me when a name becomes available, by the time I get the email it's often already taken again. Sometimes the registration window is only a few minutes before it gets picked up. In these situations, would you want a feature that texts your phone when the name drops?

Post your answers in this thread. Thanks.

Last edited:
•••
dropsentry or dropninja

one click would be great so we can just click and grab and move onto the next name which I wished tdnam would do...

the other extensions should be an option that available

•••
•••
Done the survey, awaiting beta release!

•••
Kind of off subject, but speaking of backorders, I remember the good old days when Snapnames first came out and used to actually let you get a decent lock on a name for 60 bucks, before they moved to an auction system and the little guy actually had a chance to get something decent.

Too bad this couldnt compete with them or Pool. Someone that could come up with something that could compete with them could do well, but I guess thats not possible since those 2 locked up most of the registrars. Even GoDaddys backorder service sucks and they are the biggest registrar. Even the single biggest cant compete with 100 other registrars simultaneously vying for the same name. Still, would be nice to see thier duopoly take a hit.

Greedy bastards.

Anyway, good luck to you.

•••
i did the survey too

nice job amoeba!!!

•••
Completed the survey. thanks

•••
Thanks to everybody who has responded so far.
I've figured out a tentative price chart for how much it will cost to catch the following TLDs:

.com, .net, .org: $7.99
.us: $8.99
.biz: $9.99
.info: $11.99
.uk: $19.99: (includes 2 years)
.tv: $35.99
.cc: $29.99
.cn, .com.cn: $16.99
.in: $19.99
.co.in: $9.99: (all 3rd-level .in)
.eu: $15.99
.ws: $8.99: (>3 letters)
.tw: $37.99
.mobi: $22.99

All prices include a year of registration (.uk price includes 2 years).
I'd appreciate input on the prices. Would you be willing to pay this for a catch?
I know the .info price is a little high, but I have to work with what OnlineNIC gives me. :\

Also, is it just me or has NamePros been down half the day?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back