IT.COM

SUPERBOWL 50 - Twerking Moment for GTLDs?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Alphabet, Google's new parent company, will be among the Silicon Valley tech giants sponsoring the Super Bowl 50 this year. The company joins a lineup that includes Intel, Yahoo, and Apple in sponsoring the Super Bowl Host Committee, the group that works with both the National Football League and the community of the Super Bowl hosting city. Alphabet and the other sponsors have contributed about $50 million to the Host Committee, meaning that the group doesn't need funds from the state of California.

Alphabet itself has offered to provide transportation to get some football fans to the game, according to The Wall Street Journal:

Alphabet, the parent of Google, is pulling out one of the symbols of that tension for the Super Bowl: its buses that typically shuttle workers between San Francisco and Silicon Valley. For the game, Alphabet offered the use of the shuttles operated by its vendors to transport an estimated 5,000 fans from points across the Bay Area to the game, according to a company spokesman, an effort to ease the traffic from the estimated one million people who are coming for the weekend.

Many companies see sponsoring the game, bound to be one of the most-watched broadcasts of 2016, as an opportunity to reach people in a way that even an ad during the game wouldn't. It's not only a way to make people aware of their brands, but also a way to boost their image, especially in the Bay Area, where this year's Super Bowl will take place.

Super Bowl 50 will take place on February 7, with a kickoff at 6:30 p.m. EST.

Source: The Wall Street Journal

http://m.androidcentral.com/alphabet-among-tech-giants-sponsoring-super-bowl-50

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can you explain this part of the thread title:
Twerking Moment for GTLDs
?

•••
Can you explain this part of the thread title:
Twerking Moment for GTLDs
?

Read more, analyze more and think more, properly.

•••
Read more, analyze more and think more, properly.

Kate,

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic, overly critical or if you are seriously asking a sincere question.

FYI: It has been predicted that GTLDs will have their 'Twerking Moment' in 2016. It was originally predicted to happen in 2015 but didn't. If you cannot connect the dots and understand this metaphor I don't know what to say. You are going to have a very hard time making good investments if you cannot comprehend this. Alphabet will lead the shift to GTLDs during the Super Bowl 50.

•••
I am not sure if you are being sarcastic, overly critical or if you are seriously asking a sincere question.
All of the above.
I am very often sarcastic but it's a serious question.
I've read the article.

You surely remember that a few years ago Godaddy advertised a .co domain at Super Bowl.
Yet I wouldn't say the Internet has switched to .co. No, Godaddy are still using .com.
Google are still using .com or ccTLDs for their customer-facing sites.

What are you expecting to see at Super Bowl ? Will you be attending ? :)

•••
"For the game, Alphabet offered the use of the shuttles operated by its vendors to transport an estimated 5,000 fans from points across the Bay Area to the game, according to a company spokesman, an effort to ease the traffic from the estimated one million people who are coming for the weekend."

Is there more to this? Or just putting some people on buses is somehow going to be new gtld's moment? I was expecting some Superbowl commercial or something, but it's just bus service? And then, what in the world would that have to do with new gltds? No gtlds were ever mentioned in the article.

Last edited:
•••
"For the game, Alphabet offered the use of the shuttles operated by its vendors to transport an estimated 5,000 fans from points across the Bay Area to the game, according to a company spokesman, an effort to ease the traffic from the estimated one million people who are coming for the weekend."

Is there more to this? Or just putting some people on buses is somehow going to be new gtld's moment? I was expecting some Superbowl commercial or something, but it's just bus service? And then, what in the world would that have to do with new gltds? No gtlds were ever mentioned in the article.

It may not have been a coherant post since I didn't outline why I saw a connection, but I think there is a good chance that Alphabet will rebrand their companies (Google, YouTube, etc.) under .xyz and market their new URLs at the Super Bowl. I don't have insider information and I am not psychic so I cannot say for sure, but given their vested interest in GTLDs and the domain name of their holding company, it makes sense.

•••
What are you expecting to see at Super Bowl ? Will you be attending ? :)

It is a risky prediction to make since I will obviously be wrong if it doesn't happen but I am willing to bet that Alphabet will re-brand their customer-facing sites under .xyz before the start of the Super Bowl. This would be the perfect time to do it.

I think everyone forgot how unlikely it would have been for Google to re-organize under a holding company abc.xyz before they did. Some people are very, very slow at catching up with the times.

I will not be attending.

•••
It is a risky prediction to make since I will obviously be wrong if it doesn't happen but I am willing to bet that Alphabet will re-brand their customer-facing sites under .xyz before the start of the Super Bowl.
So you mean they are going to switch from google.com to google.xyz or abc.xyz ? And what happens to the numerous google.cctld domains ?
I don't think that makes a lot sense. .xyz is obviously a word play for Alphabet.
But why would Google decide to rebrand all their sites under a TLD that they do not control, since they have applied for their own extensions, including .google, a string that has been delegated since 15 September 2014.

•••
It is a risky prediction to make since I will obviously be wrong if it doesn't happen but I am willing to bet that Alphabet will re-brand their customer-facing sites under .xyz before the start of the Super Bowl. This would be the perfect time to do it.

I think everyone forgot how unlikely it would have been for Google to re-organize under a holding company abc.xyz before they did. Some people are very, very slow at catching up with the times.

So basically, none of your threads are serious. From China banning .com, to Google rebranding youtube.com to youtube.xyz etc. for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

•••
This guy is just trolling the forum, as usual.
Pay him no attention.

•••
But why would Google decide to rebrand all their sites under a TLD that they do not control, since they have applied for their own extensions, including .google, a string that has been delegated since 15 September 2014.

In the same way that Google Capital was rebranded as GC, Google Ventures as GC and Google X as X, I believe Google will be rebranded as G.

G.google doesn't make very much sense but G.xyz does.

•••
In the same way that Google Capital was rebranded as GC, Google Ventures as GC and Google X as X, I believe Google will be rebranded as.

Correction: Google Capital was rebranded under GC and Google Ventures was rebranded under GV.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back