IT.COM

discuss Stocks Down, Coins Down...Domains!!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Silentptnr

Domains88.comTop Member
Impact
Today, here in the US we have seen the djia (stock market) drop as much as 1500 points! In the crypto market, we see Bitcoin today at just above 7k!

We are also seeing reports of increased domain auction and sales activity!

I think long term, domains will provide shelter that other investment vehicles just don't provide.

Call me crazy, but careful acquisition of quality domains seems much less risky!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You've got it backwards I'm happy to say! :) .. Now I'm not saying that at some point in the distant future domains won't be come obsolete .. but the truth is ...

Domains ARE the phone numbers (still very much a must 100 years later)

Google IS the phone book (no longer relevant today)

It might not seem like it .. but Google is in serious (long-term) trouble in terms of pure search. Live, auto-complete, auto-prediction interfaces will indeed take a huge bite out of search page results (their bread and butter for displaying ads).

But below all the search .. regardless of how people search and get their results .. those actual results still need addresses. Particularly when it comes to businesses. Obviously some types of data do not need an actual domain and could simply reside on IP addresses .. but there are a lot of reasons why domains will still be relevant .. mainly in terms of sales .. and trust/security.

Most importantly .. communication is still absolutely vital today and will be for quite some time. Email is here to stay for a very long time. In fact .. if anything is to ever replace phone numbers it will be you email address(es).

There was a short time when big corps could have started the slow process of usurping the need for domains (namely FACEBOOK) .. a few years ago quite a few startups launched only on Facebook and other social media. But with Facebook getting too greedy and placing too many barriers (and money) between their corporate users (pages/groups) and the users/fans of those businesses .. many businesses have now woken up to the fact they absolutely NEED their OWN online presence and address .. and cannot place the fate of their business in the hands of some communications giant.

Domains aren't going anywhere anytime soon. That being said .. how they are used could and likely will change quite a bit as interfaces change. Alexa, Siri, Google and the sort will certainly bring huge changes to how we connect with information and data .. but that information still needs to be found somewhere.

All that being said .. there certainly are possible changes that could affect value of domains. In the future these kinds of interfaces could diminish the importance of having a .com vs a ngTLD for example. But that's a different story ... ;)

Yes agreed they still need addresses but it won't matter what the address is because google is already talking about not displaying addresses and mobile will lead here because in most apps the address is already gone. The mobile browsers will remove the entire address bar soon unless you call it up for some reason. So you say namePros and google takes you there. There is no address bar and you never see the address. Does not matter if its namepros5322244e.com because nobody sees it.

It's coming.....

•••
It's coming.....

Your 5 dots at the end make the impending doom even creepier! ;) lol

Seriously though .. I definitely do know what you're saying .. and as well agree it will have an influence and effect on the industry .. particularly combining non-visual interfaces (OKGoogle, alexa, siri) with an eventual critical mass of the general population "understanding" ngTLDs .. that combo will hurt lower-tier .com's

That being said .. I don't think the effect will be overly detrimental .. and I do think there will still be a demand for good domains for a multitude of other reasons (trust, authenticity, marketing, email, etc)

And that's what I have to say about that ...... (did you notice I have 6 dots there? lol) ;)

•••
Although I do see emails sticking around for some time.

•••
•••
I hope it wasn't hacked because most of my holdings are there... Anyways, I am seeing some strength with cryptos. While the Dow fell 1000 points yesterday, most of the coins maintained their price. Unless the stock market is following cryptos behavior and the drop was a correlation; I am not putting more money until I see more strength though.

Last edited:
•••
take some of those crypto profits and invest in that one word .com you always wanted...i have always made a profit or at least sold around what I paid for my domains...whatever the next crypto craze is they will all need domain names for their biz

•••
That's cool, I assumed you had the URL youtube.com/BlockSmarty, but I guess you have not set that up yet. Mine is /mrdeleted, which I have had since 06 or 07. I have a few channels. I am watching your one video about coins and the market going down last month. I have to be careful commenting here, as apparently, the crypto company Presearch is not relevant here.
With the new rules I think I had to wait until I hit 1k subs (which I just did this week) I'll make sure to change it here soon! Thanks for the reminder.

•••
I'm just for foreseeing the day when my grandchildren ask me.

Granddad was you involved in all that Crypto-Ponzi stuff ?
LOL

•••
•••
I am sorry, but that won't happen in near future. Google is not king, .com is KING
Well I really do beg to differ,these changes are happening right now and have been going on for some time.

Google business/places listings are a huge game-changer for local businesses in competition with each other.

I am not sure where you are from,but .COM is certainly not the King here in the UK

•••
What ever you type in the browser or a search bar to search for something, you are typing the KEYWORD. You need a strong SEO team if you need to rank on targeted keyword(s) . But, there is no strongest SEO TEAM, keep that in mind.

•••
Got ya!
But, "B&Q" is a keyword that Google favors DIY.COM for having done great job SEO for that keyword, but what if another company A has a better team of SEO ? Next time, when you type in "B&Q" DIY.com is nowhere to be found
Well It goes to show how important SEO really is,and the impact it makes.Keywords,keywords keywords are KEY,and so are regular updates/changes to a site.

But seen that there aren't many other companies called ''B & Q'' you should have no trouble finding it when typing into google,regardless of SEO.

•••
What ever you type in the browser or a search bar to search for something, you are typing the KEYWORD. You need a strong SEO team if you need to rank on targeted keyword(s) . But, there is no strongest SEO TEAM, keep that in mind.
But if you type the company name,you are bound to be shown their website? Regardless of what their domain name is!

•••
Unless your company is well developed, well known, and registered TM, if not, it is still remain a keyword that anybody can compete on Google

•••
You will get the answer, when you will know the ratio of .com and co.uk

I agree with you, in fact I see way more .ca addresses here in Canada than .com's.

I have 4 businesses and I only own the .com for two of them and in each case the .com forwards to .ca.

In fact even my domaining business uses the .ca because my target audience is mostly within Canada.

•••
BTC/Cryptos dead cat bounce

•••
Unless your company is well developed, well known, and registered TM, if not, it is still remain a keyword that anybody can compete on Google
You are wrong,I have a business that if my keywords are searched on google,my business comes up somewhere in the top 3 google business(usually first or second place but it varies) . If my company name is searched,I come up as Number 1 every time.(Regardless of my domain name)

•••
your company name is also a keyword or keyword phrase. If I will have to compete with you, I will your company name as my targeted keyword or keywordphrase lol! but if you registered TM, i can't not use that phrase for same/similar service/product
You could,but then I would take you to court!

•••
The last recession was a great opp for buyers, the next should be even better, if your wise enough to be around. It won;t be long :)

•••
Your 5 dots at the end make the impending doom even creepier! ;) lol

Seriously though .. I definitely do know what you're saying .. and as well agree it will have an influence and effect on the industry .. particularly combining non-visual interfaces (OKGoogle, alexa, siri) with an eventual critical mass of the general population "understanding" ngTLDs .. that combo will hurt lower-tier .com's

That being said .. I don't think the effect will be overly detrimental .. and I do think there will still be a demand for good domains for a multitude of other reasons (trust, authenticity, marketing, email, etc)

And that's what I have to say about that ...... (did you notice I have 6 dots there? lol) ;)

Love your humour (real spelling) (y)

Of course I hope I am wrong.... I love domaining and I hope I can milk it for a few more years :xf.smile:

Where is that milking emoticon (n)

•••
I know what your saying, but what need is there for a company to have a premium domain name, if they can easily be found online without one?
Many reasons....domains are like real estate online. As of now we don't even know what future importance owning a domain name might have.

Professional email which directly correlates to branding, etc. is a big reason.

•••
Many reasons....domains are like real estate online. As of now we don't even know what future importance owning a domain name might have.

Professional email which directly correlates to branding, etc. is a big reason.
Good point - email

•••
so.... binance tweets they are back online 7 hours ago.
but still can't login

think it was hacked?

xchanges rarely tell right away when they get hacked ;)

Last edited:
•••
Re Google/voice nav replacing domains what about names shared by lots of companies? I think with voice search, mobile, Facebook's walled gardens, etc two word brandables have gained value (ex. Artdistro.com, my site :p) and generics (ex. Art.com) have lost some value.. The exception is where a company can realistically "own" a generic word (Uber, Stripe and Slack come to mind). Having said that, I've never sold a domain for a good profit so I probably have no idea of what I'm talking about haha

•••
Unless you are (day-/week-)trading I would not keep the coins on an exchange.
I keep mine on freebitco.in. They pay me an interest rate there.

As for how the down rate affects me? It actually also pays me more crypto when the price goes down, and since I have over 5000+ referrals, I make more now than when it is at 20K. The price per coin is not as much, but I already earned 0.6 coin from those referrals. I was thinking of just selling the account.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back