IT.COM

discuss Spammers on the prowl. Beware!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

sanrb

Established Member
Impact
I am new to DN aftermarket. I have done a lot of reading here and elsewhere. Just yesterday, I received a nice not-to-look-as-a-spam email.

This one is from: harold@host1-norway. info

And it reads:

Hello!

Please let me know if you are still interested in selling YOUR DOMAIN NAME . com

Our client is interested in purchasing it.

He is a professional investor with 15 years of experience.

If you have more names I can help you to sell them.

Best Regards,

Harold Haaren

Vice President

Host1

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

I received not one but 4 emails (for 4 different domains of mine) from the same sender.

<><><><><><><>
At first glance, it seemed to be true - like the ones that say you have won a jackpot or the kind.

I replied:

Yes. Let me know your offer.

After about 20 hours I receive this reply:

The buyer will pay you the appraised value. It will be fair since he does not want to pay something over the real market value.

Based on my experience, I think your name is in $15,000 - $20,000 range. Do you have a certificate of the appraised value? If you don't have it's not a problem. You can order it online.

He needs it from a source he knows and trusts.I’m also interested in a good estimate of the market price because he pays me % on each sale.The process is very easy:1. Go to the certificate agency site (see instructions below) and submit your domain for the certification. Please let them know you have a buyer with $XX,XXX offer. It will help you to get a better valuation. In the comment field please ask them to guarantee that the appraised value will be higher than the appraisal service fee. In this case you will not risk to pay and get a low appraisal. I suggest you this company because they protect you as the seller from getting a low appraised value. They will send you the payment instruction only if your domain is worth $1000 or higher. Otherwise your request will be declined and you will not pay hem anything. Other companies does not offer this option.2. If your request will be approved, please pay them the fee and wait for 24 hours. Then send me the results via email and we will start the sale process. As soon as he receives your certificate, he will buy your domain via an escrow service. Any escrow service will be able to pay you via Paypal, Wire, Western Union or any other method you prefer.

He wants to ensure the safe delivery of the funds to you. Furthermore, since this is our first time conducting any business, I believe that using a third-party escrow service can provide a safe, well defined sale process.

The certificate must include only 2 things to be accepted by my buyer:1. Independent valuation of the market price. Only manual valuation is accepted. No valuations generated by scripts.

2. Trademark infringement verification. It proves your domain has no trademark problems. He would like this verification to be included in the appraisal report. It's not a problem because some companies include the TM verification for free.You can read about the recommended certification agency at Google Answers: http : // archive.answers-google.org/answers/threadview/id/70529361. html (“Domain Broker” is my nickname there).

If you are new to certifications, I can send you step by step instructions.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Now it was very clear that THIS is nothing but a SCAM from yet another Spammer. Or is Harold indeed a good domain broker?

Lets discuss.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is the well known appraisal scam.. So yeah, def scam

•••
Thanks for confirming about the scam @Venturefile.

I replied to him this way though:

Wonderful Harold!

Besides your second line in reply - Based on my experience, I think your name is in $15,000 - $20,000 range - rest all is meaningless for me now.
Why don't you purchase this domain for just $4000 - $5000 directly from me on Flippa.com or Sedo.com and then GET the Appraisal Certificate for this domain name as a new owner yourself and then sell it to your client?

Alternatively, I can start an Escrow.com agreement for you and your client right now and we can discuss all this and more as an agreement. You will not get a single penny from me unless you follow legit process.

•••
Yes spammers will never stop. They are getting better and the emails are looking from actual people now. Best to always research before responding or interacting with the email.

- Will

•••
Yes spammers will never stop. They are getting better and the emails are looking from actual people now. Best to always research before responding or interacting with the email.

- Will

Thanks Perez for this video link.

•••
•••
Its the nigerian domain prince scam :laugh:

•••
This guy is still on the prowl.

He sent me the same message this morning from this address though:

[email protected]

•••
Someone is falling for these. That's why they keep sending them.

•••
Thanks guys for the updates. This must be up and available for newbies to read at all times. Hope many will be saved from wasting their precious and hard earned money by going for these appraisal scams.

•••
Thanks guys for the updates. This must be up and available for newbies to read at all times. Hope many will be saved from wasting their precious and hard earned money by going for these appraisal scams.

•••
The scammer is without a doubt a long-time member of NamePros. ;)

Much like those idiots who send out emails about expiring domains, trying to sell them on to you: in the past two years or so, I picked up that at least one of them was a forum member.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back