Spaceship.com registrar thread.

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
NamecheapNamecheap
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

dirk

NOT ATop Member
Impact
15,005
I just tried Spaceship.com. They're a NameCheap brand and launched their beta. I think they rightfully deserve a thread on NP to discuss our experiences with their new registrar.

Remember, it's still in beta so do expect some glitches, work to be done... Would be cool in someone from NC would care to chip in :) @tamar
 
16
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
1770887288536.png
@Spaceship Hello. When I try to renew a large number of domains, I often have a problem: I cannot do it because the payment window often freezes and stays stuck like that forever. It does not load the balance or the renew button (I waited for many minutes). Because of this, I have to split the renewals into much smaller batches and waste a lot of time. After some time (and page refresh), it may work, or it may not work. Please check what the problem is. I would prefer to renew at least 500 domains at a time, not 100. Because I do not want to collect many small invoices for renewing 100 domains each, for reporting and for my auditor. I want to renew 500-1000 domains at once and get one invoice (and 1 payment), not 10-20.
 
Last edited:
3
•••
^That happens to me all the time, regardless of the number of domains. I close the window, go back to cart and then I'm usually able to proceed.
 
2
•••
Show attachment 294580@Spaceship Hello. When I try to renew a large number of domains, I often have a problem: I cannot do it because the payment window often freezes and stays stuck like that forever. It does not load the balance or the renew button (I waited for many minutes). Because of this, I have to split the renewals into much smaller batches and waste a lot of time. After some time (and page refresh), it may work, or it may not work. Please check what the problem is. I would prefer to renew at least 500 domains at a time, not 100. Because I do not want to collect many small invoices for renewing 100 domains each, for reporting and for my auditor. I want to renew 500-1000 domains at once and get one invoice (and 1 payment), not 10-20.
Hi @robosapien and @Jannes Elena from Spaceship here. Could you please DM me your userID, and the time when you tried renewing your domains, if you have it? We couldn't reproduce the issue, so we'll need to look into it

​

​

 
0
•••
Good grief Elena, how could Spaceship staff not be aware of this issue, it has happened over 80% of the time for me for the past 3 years. I had 2,200 transactions at Spaceship in 2025 alone and Spaceship refuses to even give me a list of my purchases for my taxes! No customer service of any kind and a system lacking even basic domain management functionality like bulk unlock and auth codes.
 
4
•••
^That happens to me all the time, regardless of the number of domains. I close the window, go back to cart and then I'm usually able to proceed.

I’ve got so used to this checkout annoyance that I haven’t been very attentive to it anymore, but I think I haven’t encountered it lately when I’ve paid registrations and renewals from account funds (which is the default payment method when funds are sufficient).

screw that, it happened again
 
Last edited:
2
•••
I noticed an oddity (also posted on the Spaceship Marketplace thread). It may be a simple error, or a precursor of what might be termed "a fiddle"

My domains at Spaceship are set to "Auto-renew = OFF"
Upon a recent domain renewal, I got the email Order Summary, and was surprised to see the notation "1 year extension, Auto-renew On" for each domain

Spaceship Domain Manager still lists these as OFF but ... it is odd. (The .pdf receipt states nothing of auto renewal settings)

I'd like to assume Domain Manager is correct, but if the corporate giant suddenly toggles all domain renewal settings retroactively to auto renew On, the only 'proof' is the pictured renewal email which confirms this. Do I worry too much? Hoping this anomaly can be clarified & fixed.
 

Attachments

  • Auto-renew.png
    Auto-renew.png
    52 KB · Views: 37
1
•••
Show attachment 294580@Spaceship Hello. When I try to renew a large number of domains, I often have a problem: I cannot do it because the payment window often freezes and stays stuck like that forever. It does not load the balance or the renew button (I waited for many minutes). Because of this, I have to split the renewals into much smaller batches and waste a lot of time. After some time (and page refresh), it may work, or it may not work. Please check what the problem is. I would prefer to renew at least 500 domains at a time, not 100. Because I do not want to collect many small invoices for renewing 100 domains each, for reporting and for my auditor. I want to renew 500-1000 domains at once and get one invoice (and 1 payment), not 10-20.
@robosapien @Jannes we've just released a fix that should improve the situation
 
5
•••
New issue, after transferring out of Spaceship, the domains are removed from Seller hub, I think this should be addressed.
 
0
•••
New issue, after transferring out of Spaceship, the domains are removed from Seller hub, I think this should be addressed.

Problem is, they don't know who the new owner is. What if we sold it? Should the seller keep the name on SellerHub? What if an end user bought it - they may not even have a Spaceship acct.

It would be nice if there was a way to at least toggle the name so it's still there, but needs to be re-verified (thus passing the re-upload step). But I can't think of a way to pass the reverify step.
 
4
•••
Problem is, they don't know who the new owner is. What if we sold it? Should the seller keep the name on SellerHub? What if an end user bought it - they may not even have a Spaceship acct.

It would be nice if there was a way to at least toggle the name so it's still there, but needs to be re-verified (thus passing the re-upload step). But I can't think of a way to pass the reverify step.
If I sell a domain I remove it manually from seller hub, but yes some lazy sellers don't do this.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
Last edited:
6
•••
Last edited:
0
•••
New issue, after transferring out of Spaceship, the domains are removed from Seller hub, I think this should be addressed.
The main issue is, I not know what domains got removed, go look now them one by one, a pain in the bt.
 
1
•••

Live! You can now negotiate who pays commission on Spaceship's Sellerhub for make offer, LTO and check out link deals for your domain sales.


Show attachment 295393

@Spaceship

1) Is it possible to have a Default button which allows us to set the buyer- seller % at the time of listing?
(Ideally including a total Default to never have Buyer commission).

I believe that the option is currently only available once negotiations have begun.

This means that "Prices shown don't include spaceship commission" is displayed below the price even though there won't be a buyer commission (I will absorb the 10%).

Alongside this message (covered) is a vague "Spaceship charges a commission on each SellerHub domain sale. The final commission amount will be calculated at checkout" then the first stage of viewing the cart
has no mention of the buyer's commission - IF they battled through the pop-up saying that "You will be redirected to Spaceship.Com" like some kind of warning.

2) Is it possible to have a BIN-only lander?
At the moment "Make Offer" is displayed even when I turn off Min Offer.

TIA.
 
Last edited:
7
•••
@Spaceship

1) Is it possible to have a Default button which allows us to set the buyer- seller % at the time of listing?
(Ideally including a total Default to never have Buyer commission).

I believe that the option is currently only available once negotiations have begun.

This means that "Prices shown don't include spaceship commission" is displayed below the price even though there won't be a buyer commission (I will absorb the 10%).

Alongside this message (covered) is a vague "Spaceship charges a commission on each SellerHub domain sale. The final commission amount will be calculated at checkout" then the first stage of viewing the cart
has no mention of the buyer's commission - IF they battled through the pop-up saying that "You will be redirected to Spaceship.Com" like some kind of warning.

2) Is it possible to have a BIN-only lander?
At the moment "Make Offer" is displayed even when I turn off Min Offer.

TIA.

you're better off responding to Richard's X tweet - he responds there quite often, much less so here
 
2
•••
you're better off responding to Richard's X tweet - he responds there quite often, much less so here

Thanks, but I'm not on X.

I'd forgotten about the link on Launchpad so I'll wait a couple of days and repeat it there.

*I'd also forgotten that I'm on the Registrar thread, not the Marketplace.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
you're better off responding to Richard's X tweet - he responds there quite often, much less so here

I've just been updating a few listings.

The 'Make Offer' has disappeared and now only shows BIN.

Not sure if that was me or ...
 
1
•••
@robosapien @Jannes we've just released a fix that should improve the situation
@Elena Teplytskaya Good afternoon. I just tried to enter 200 domains in the search bar (because for some reason your interface does not allow selecting only the current page of 50, 100, or 500 domains, and I have to search for sorted domains through the search bar). Then I selected the 200 domains that were found and clicked "extend for 1 year" - but nothing happens. If I reduce the number of selected domains, for example enter only 150, 140, 130, 120, 110, or 101 domains, the result is the same. Only when I select 100 or fewer domains does the next option to renew appear. Browser: Firefox.

I asked you to fix this bug so that I can renew many domains with one invoice, but your specialists instead limited the number of domains that can be renewed to a maximum of 100.

This means I will have to create 22,600 / 100 = 226 separate invoices per year to renew my portfolio for one year, and then give them to my accountant / auditor for reporting and also pay them to process all these documents. Do you understand how much useless work I will have to do and pay for just because you decided to limit the number of domains in one renewal order to only 100? In some countries, it is enough to have a simple statement, but in Europe the tax authorities are very strict. You must save every single invoice and include it in the reports.

Please increase the limit to at least 500, or even better 1000/2000.

1773575165889.png


I press the "Apply (101)" button and get an error.

1773575286883.png
 
4
•••
@Elena Teplytskaya Good afternoon. I just tried to enter 200 domains in the search bar (because for some reason your interface does not allow selecting only the current page of 50, 100, or 500 domains, and I have to search for sorted domains through the search bar). Then I selected the 200 domains that were found and clicked "extend for 1 year" - but nothing happens. If I reduce the number of selected domains, for example enter only 150, 140, 130, 120, 110, or 101 domains, the result is the same. Only when I select 100 or fewer domains does the next option to renew appear. Browser: Firefox.

I asked you to fix this bug so that I can renew many domains with one invoice, but your specialists instead limited the number of domains that can be renewed to a maximum of 100.

This means I will have to create 22,600 / 100 = 226 separate invoices per year to renew my portfolio for one year, and then give them to my accountant / auditor for reporting and also pay them to process all these documents. Do you understand how much useless work I will have to do and pay for just because you decided to limit the number of domains in one renewal order to only 100? In some countries, it is enough to have a simple statement, but in Europe the tax authorities are very strict. You must save every single invoice and include it in the reports.

Please increase the limit to at least 500, or even better 1000/2000.

Show attachment 297283

I press the "Apply (101)" button and get an error.

Show attachment 297284
It's sad for all of us that the owner of spaceship cares nothing at all for the hardship he is causing us for trusting him by transferring our large portfolios to Spaceship. I asked Spaceship chat about getting my account transaction records for my tax accounting needs, since I could not find any way to do it on my own. Their chat reply was that spaceship is a "self serve" registrar and they will not even give any consideration at all to providing even the least assistance to their customers in any way.

By the way, are you aware that it takes 6 steps just to get the auth code for each of your domains one at a time at Spaceship since they refuse to allow any bulk functions related to moving domains out of Spaceship to make it as painful as possible to leave. Let's see, in your case 22,600 domains times 6 steps means that you will be required to move your mouse and click 6 times 22,600 = 135,600 times to move your portfolio elsewhere.
 
4
•••
It's sad for all of us that the owner of spaceship cares nothing at all for the hardship he is causing us for trusting him by transferring our large portfolios to Spaceship. I asked Spaceship chat about getting my account transaction records for my tax accounting needs, since I could not find any way to do it on my own. Their chat reply was that spaceship is a "self serve" registrar and they will not even give any consideration at all to providing even the least assistance to their customers in any way.

By the way, are you aware that it takes 6 steps just to get the auth code for each of your domains one at a time at Spaceship since they refuse to allow any bulk functions related to moving domains out of Spaceship to make it as painful as possible to leave. Let's see, in your case 22,600 domains times 6 steps means that you will be required to move your mouse and click 6 times 22,600 = 135,600 times to move your portfolio elsewhere.

I'm all for ease of transfer and Spaceship should offer an easier way to transfer out.

But they are not alone. Unstoppable and Dreamhost come to mind as painful registrars to transfer out of (both requiring a lot of clicks). Porkbun is tough too, not allowing any to transfer out if your name is in their marketplace. You have to go delete that first... imagine the number of wasted clicks there.

The issue is industry wide. These guys think by making it hard, we won't leave. But all it does is serve to piss us off and after we leave, make us question coming back. I think registrars should serve customers consistently and appropriately whether joining, managing, or leaving. When a registrar does this, its goodwill goes up and over time that pays dividends imo
 
4
•••
AIVikingsAIVikings

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back