IT.COM

Source of Website Traffic

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which one brings the most traffic to your site?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yahoo

votes
    10.3%
  • MSN

votes
    13.8%
  • Google

votes
    41.4%
  • AOL search

votes
    0.0%
  • Words of mouth

votes
    20.7%
  • Links from other sites

votes
    13.8%
  • Others

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
So which one is the main source of traffic for your website? Please vote and comment thanks.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Allthough I have voted in favour of google coz it is
the best and it has a highest market share too.
But we shouldn't forget yahoo as well as msn.
Coz these two together make up around 50%
of search engine market.And yahoo is also
very much popular.

A detailed market share of search engine can be
found here
http://searchenginewatch.com/reports/article.php/2156451

•••
I went for MSN as it brings some of my sites loads of traffic. I think it's because most SEO's have ignored it so far so it still has the freedom to produce useful results.

•••
invincible.vib said:
Allthough I have voted in favour of google coz it is
the best
:zzz:

•••
zquest said:
Apart from my personal openion it has 48% market share.
And you can try any SEO forums they all rate Google the best.

•••
I still cant work out how to get blooming traffic :(

•••
Its simple. have a forum in it. when go to some classifieds and register it there. Every refresh in forum putting you more and more up in those kind of classifieds, and people are coming. Personally I registered my forum in my ethnic community classifieds. It gave me 800 active users there. And site is already on PR4.

•••
gugush said:
Its simple. have a forum in it. when go to some classifieds and register it there. Every refresh in forum putting you more and more up in those kind of classifieds, and people are coming. Personally I registered my forum in my ethnic community classifieds. It gave me 800 active users there. And site is already on PR4.

Yaa this is also one way of getting traffic.
But the most important thing is that you should optimise your page first.
Then continuously add relevent contents frequently.
And have a lots of backlinks.
You can get a good search engine ranking by just optimising page and having a lots of backlinks.

You can add forums too.A better place will be add as a subdomain as www.forums.yoursitename.com

.And adding blogs will be a great advantage to your site.You can have it as a subdomain as
www.blogs.yoursite.com

And if you will link your site properly then adding more pages can really help in increasing sites ranking.

Put a footer in that put all the important links like links to your main page, and all the important categories, links to blog, links to forum etc..

And if you are going to have a forum or a blog then don't miss to syndicate the contents.If you know about RSS otherwise see this post I think it will get you some basic knowledge about RSS.
http://vib-gluons.blogspot.com/2005/06/magical-8-letter-word-rss-feeds.html

And if you have a dynamic website try to put a sitemap in the footer of the page.

•••
One of my sites:

Referrer Totals: Searchengines (unique visits)
Google 62334 88.52%
Yahoo 4656 6.61%
MSN Search 2554 3.63%
AltaVista 287 0.41%
AOL Search 259 0.37%
Dogpile 79 0.11%
Google Images 78 0.11%
MyWay 42 0.06%
Search.com 37 0.05%

•••
I know this doesn’t answer your question but I get 90% of my traffic from links with cross-promotional sites.

•••
Hey,

Well Google deliveres most of my traffic but I've seen some good visits lately from Yahoo.

- SW

•••
I do get alot of traffic from Yahoo but I still get the bulk from word-of-mouth.

•••
For relatively new sites, MSN for sure. If you don't have a super popular keyword, it's pretty easy to get on the first page or two at MSN rather quickly.

•••
msn and yahoo is where the majority of my website's visitors come from. Once google picks up on my link building campaigns I'm sure google will also provide a good amount of visitors.

•••
If it wasn't for me advertising on Google, then I'd say msn as they provide the most "Free" search engine traffic. Sites been up n runnin about 8 weeks, I'm on the first or 2nd page for every major keyword for the industry.

•••
Direct address / Bookmarks - 90.7%
Links from an Internet Search Engine - 6.1%
Links from an external page (other web sites except search engines) - 3%

:o

(Google brings most SE traffic, closely followed by MSN)

•••
I get the most from links :) but I still get alot from google and other search engines :)

Cheers

•••
Word of mouth for me. I usually don't link up with another site. I'll be attempting it this time though.

•••
I get traffic mainly from Google and Yahoo

•••
•••
Although Google has been the main source of traffic it helps to have "big" sites mention you and your content every once and a while. DMOZ listings are constantly copied so that generates some extra attention too.

•••
Yaa yahoo and msn are good for new sites coz google doesn't index new sites and newly registered domain names have to face one more problem(popurly known as) "Google Sandbox theory ".
For more details on google sandbox theory-
http://vib-gluons.blogspot.com

•••
For me it depends on the site. My main site get's most of it's traffic from word of mouth. But a few others get traffic from google..Mainly google..

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back