Watch

Abhi007007

InterviewCalls.comTop Member
Impact
I have this domain SoundEffects.io that i wanted to sell. It has:
SERP term over 40 Million.
Monthly searches over 1 Million
registered in more than 32 extensions.

I put it for sale on Godaddy. Also purchased the Homepage featured listing pack for it.
Still got NO bid at all. (only 130 views)

What went wrong with it? i don't think that is a really bad domain name.
Can some experienced members show some light on it. What else can i do?
Thanks in advance. :)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Its the extension that hurts this one. .IO has been gaining some traction but its still not a strong extension.

Another mistake new domainers make is stick up a landing page and list it on the markemarketplaces and then wait, unless you have really good names, this method doesnt work. Go and find buyers and approach them, thats how you make sales.

•••
Too many alternative extensions available.

Also, for .io, other names like neweffects.io are available for hand reg.

•••
I think .io is a strong extension - e.g. if you look at sales as a percentage of domains for sale (or at least a fraction of registered) it outperforms everything, including com, by a lot.

I also think that SoundEffects is a good two word name.

So why no bids? One thing I have noticed with .io is that it seems almost everything that sells is a single word or acronym. I am not sure why exactly, because two and even three word sell at a good clip in .com and some other TLDs.

The other thing I have noticed is the venues where .io sell. So far 2018YTD there have been 809 sales of .io. Here are where most of them are:
639 at ParkIO
91 at Flippa
62 at Sedo
I suspect there are quite a few non NameBio reported that sell at private venues, Efty, perhaps Afternic, Undeveloped as well.

At GoDaddy auctions? 1. Yes, only 1.

GoDaddy auctions seems a great place to sell .com, an OK place to sell .net, but it seems almost useless to try to sell ngTLDs and many general country code there. Why is this? I am not sure.

So to me that is the answer to your query.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
ParkIO seems to be the king of selling io. I didn't even know it existed. Learn something new everyday

•••
SERP term over 40 Million.
Monthly searches over 1 Million
This is one of your mistakes. These numbers are nice, but they show how many people want some information on this term. While your goal is to find people who are going to sell some product around this term. Feel the difference? Your question should be - not how many people are interested, but how many businesses may want to offer something sellable.

•••
2 words in io extension is a hard sell, I have 2 and will be only renewing one of them

park.io will not let you list any names there as it is only a backorder/auction site which is quite frustrating....

I think they would make a nice income from allowing users to list their own names for auction, charge a small listing fee and a small sales percentage and there you go - easy to implement and they are then in a win win situation.

•••
This is one of your mistakes. These numbers are nice, but they show how many people want some information on this term. While your goal is to find people who are going to sell some product around this term. Feel the difference? Your question should be - not how many people are interested, but how many businesses may want to offer something sellable.

It is a good point @golan, and a distinction many of us overlook. However to me both are important. If lots of people are interested that implies potential markets for an end user of domain. It might also mean monetization possibilities to cover renewal costs while holding.

•••
I think they would make a nice income from allowing users to list their own names for auction, charge a small listing fee and a small sales percentage

I SO AGREE with this @MrAcidic !!!
Two factors have kept me personally from investing in .io so far. One is the high renewal cost but the other is the fact that where most .io are sold I can't access.
Bob

•••
Maybe with .io extension, it does look kinda long though. If it's soundfx.io , maybe it's somethin' like else ;)

•••
Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs. :)

•••
Its the extension that hurts this one. .IO has been gaining some traction but its still not a strong extension.

Another mistake new domainers make is stick up a landing page and list it on the markemarketplaces and then wait, unless you have really good names, this method doesnt work. Go and find buyers and approach them, thats how you make sales.
Let me also add that .IO only works on sing words, that is if you want to make sales

•••
You need to wait for the domain be viewed by the correct buyer. This takes time. Wait and keep increasing its value putting efforts. Showcase your domain stats from Google Analytics. Show case revenue.

•••

•••
thank you for your clarity on this point. A good thing to learn on the first day of school.

•••
Nice valuable inputs from the pros.

•••
Too many alternative extensions available.

Also, for .io, other names like neweffects.io are available for hand reg.
neweffects is a lot more vague than soundeffects, in my opinion. neweffects could refer to any type of effects. I don't think that search engines would display neweffects.io first when people search for "sound effects".

•••
2 words in io extension is a hard sell, I have 2 and will be only renewing one of them

park.io will not let you list any names there as it is only a backorder/auction site which is quite frustrating....

I think they would make a nice income from allowing users to list their own names for auction, charge a small listing fee and a small sales percentage and there you go - easy to implement and they are then in a win win situation.
But they are not listening to list outside names.

•••
But they are not listening to list outside names.
No there not, I suppose/presume they are making good money with their current business model and do not want to complicate things - which is fair enough.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back