Domain Empire

question Solve my problem ?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Isac

Top Member
Impact
As you all know me i am a domainer and i usually work with Seo,web design services. I earn a good amount per month. At least $ 500 per month ( but i am investing also almost $ 300 in domaining back ) with some good domains in my pocket including i am running few website like domainglo.com and Dnbucket.com. I am in a growing phase and i loved this domining, web designing and seo most .

Now what is a problem ? Before domaining i used to do work in travel agency. There i was earning only $ 80 /month . My parents think it was good.

Before job in travel agency, i was doing job in school and what was i earning . Just $ 80 per month.

After working like an animal. Just $ 80. No future security .. Nothing.

But why my parents think it was good because there was office and i used to go to office and with domaining, seo and web design.. I have to work from home. And my parents think i am doing nothing. Just wasting my time.

When in home even if i am earning good. my parents think i am doing nothing and want me to join back travel agency or school. This means i have to left a work which i am doing now. Everything over.

I am depressed. :xf.cry:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Get an easy job that you can do your domaining from as well. For example, if there is a security guard job that only requires you to sit and watch a screen you can do domain work at the same time.

•••
Probably they think that domaining is not the permanent job and can't guarantee that you earn same money consistently in future. So they may want you to go to job where you get consistent money every month. It's typical parent culture particularly in India.

So I thinkb you need to tell parents ABT your domaining clearly and make them understand that idomaining can be full time job as well!

Yes domaining as well as freelancing. They think it's nothing but a waste of time with no growth.

•••

Ah okay, well the incomes you mention $80., $500., make more sense then.

Are your parents self employed? My father is and this is why he's never had a problem with my being self employed too, although I also have a regular day job of being a lawyer.

If your father is not self employed he will have a harder time relating to your wanting to be self employed.

Another term for self employed is, "living by your wits."

Last edited:
•••
Ah okay, well the incomes you mention $80., $500., make more sense then.

Are your parents self employed? My father is and this is why he's never had a problem with my being self employed too, although I also have a regular day job of being a lawyer.

If your father is not self employed he will have a harder time relating to your wanting to be self employed.

Yes he is not self employed

•••
Your parents are domainers also and they are members here.
They want you to quit domaining because they don't want you to see the crap names that they owned.

I can't tell you their screen name but they are here.

I have done that

This seems to be good idea.

so what did they say when you showed them you proved to them you make more than you did as agent? ie.. more than 80

•••
@alcy Sumeeth has said it on point. What they think. Let me quote it below.

Probably they think that domaining is not the permanent job and can't guarantee that you earn same money consistently in future. So they may want you to go to job where you get consistent money every month. It's typical parent culture particularly in India.

So I thinkb you need to tell parents ABT your domaining clearly and make them understand that idomaining can be full time job as well!

•••
@alcy Sumeeth has said it on point. What they think. Let me quote it below.

sounds like old fashioned folk indeed

looks like u got no choice but to be consistently showing them more than $80 per month.. for many months. ;)

gl
ciao

•••
. I have to work from home.
Since not sure of your arrangement with your parents... maybe pay "rent" (office space) for working at home?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Since not sure of your arrangement with your parents... maybe pay "rent" (office space) for working at home?

LoL , That's not a case

•••
As you all know me i am a domainer and i usually work with Seo,web design services. I earn a good amount per month. At least $ 500 per month ( but i am investing also almost $ 300 in domaining back ) with some good domains in my pocket including i am running few website like domainglo.com and Dnbucket.com. I am in a growing phase and i loved this domining, web designing and seo most .

Now what is a problem ? Before domaining i used to do work in travel agency. There i was earning only $ 80 /month . My parents think it was good.

Before job in travel agency, i was doing job in school and what was i earning . Just $ 80 per month.

After working like an animal. Just $ 80. No future security .. Nothing.

But why my parents think it was good because there was office and i used to go to office and with domaining, seo and web design.. I have to work from home. And my parents think i am doing nothing. Just wasting my time.

When in home even if i am earning good. my parents think i am doing nothing and want me to join back travel agency or school. This means i have to left a work which i am doing now. Everything over.

I am depressed. :xf.cry:
By them dinner out at a restaurant sometimes and tip the servers.

•••
My parents used to say that too for over a year when I made around $150 per month from domains, but then $xxxx sales started coming every month and it's all good. Keep buying great domains and it will be good for you mate.

•••
Lots of good suggestions have been offered already.. I think that both for your own mental health, and probably the view of your parents, if you can make it seem more formal it is probably good in the long term - i.e. define normal work hours, while being flexible, have a professional work space, and pay some rent for that space. Having a job that brings you into direct face to face contact with others in the long run is good for mental health and well being, I think.

I know not all would agree, but I think there is huge value in having a "main" job and doing domain name investing as a secondary career. It simply is so irregular in revenue, and will help you be more proactive if you don't need to be in it as the only source of revenue. While i don't like the style of much of what he says, I listened to "The Domain King" in his June podcast at Domain Name Wire last night, and note that even he says he always gives advice to not do domain name investing as your only job, which I think is excellent advice.

Best of luck, and congratulations on the success you have had so far!

•••
I wish I could be in J&K. We cud hav done this together in my office.
I personally feel, u hav a gud future in domaining as your names are not that bad at all.
I wud like to suggest to have some savings from domaining, for those months where sales are slow which can break ur motivation.

And about ur parents, there is a generation gap and we are all dealing with this. You just need to ignore the pressure and trust your instincts.

You can tell your parents stories about Frank Schhiling or other legendary domainers who made it big from small..!!

Last edited:
•••
•••
You can hire a desk at a coworking space for as low as 4000 INR per month in India. Continue domaining and meanwhile improve your coding skills. Also consider doing remote side jobs at companies like Appen, leapforce etc for consistent monthly income.

•••
You can hire a desk at a coworking space for as low as 4000 INR per month in India. Continue domaining and meanwhile improve your coding skills. Also consider doing remote side jobs at companies like Appen, leapforce etc for consistent monthly income.

Will do it

•••
Easy solution:
Get a rich girlfriend and move in with her.

You have the money, the freedom and the girl.

•••
•••
It does not matter as long as she is rich.

•••
•••
•••
  1. I wish i had your problems.
  2. Is $80 a month good in India?
  3. You should be in college.
  4. Your parents are always right.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back