IT.COM

.mobi So you've found a great Mobi name, but...

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

dag

Senior MemberVIP Member
Impact
Here's the scenario: you've searched through all sorts of names, popular OVT keywords, etc., and you've found one with a very high OVT rank that you think seems like a good investment and that might work well for .Mobi. Upon checking the .COM equivalent, however, you find that it's just sitting there as a parking page.

Does that make you less inclined to invest in the .MOBI version, since apparently no one's even interested enough in it as a .COM to develop it, or do you feel that what's happening in the other extensions shouldn't influence you? I ask because I've come across this a few times in my searching, and it does tend to make me feel like I shouldn't bother with it. Is that erroneous thinking?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That is one thing I look at that influences me, but I also check the other extensions, .net, .org, etc.

•••
I don't think this should affect you. There are some sites that will work very well for a .mobi, but for a regular .com may not be as efficient. I can think of a few but I'm busy regging them right now so I'll post them later to show you what I mean.

•••
dagersh said:
... since apparently no one's even interested enough in it as a .COM to develop it...
Keep in mind, just because the .COM is a parking page doesn't necessarily mean that nobody wants to develop it. There are other reasons it might be sitting there, for example... the owner might be asking an unusually high price, and the interested parties have been scared off. Or the owner might be making a good enough income from parking, that he doesn't want/need to develop it. Or there might be development plans in the works.

For various different reasons, lots of good names (great for development) are parked.

•••
-db- said:
Keep in mind, just because the .COM is a parking page doesn't necessarily mean that nobody wants to develop it. There are other reasons it might be sitting there, for example... the owner might be asking an unusually high price, and the interested parties have been scared off. Or the owner might be making a good enough income from parking, that he doesn't want/need to develop it. Or there might be development plans in the works.

For various different reasons, lots of good names (great for development) are parked.

That had certainly occurred to me, but I was wondering if it was just wishful thinking. I asked this question to find out if more experienced domainers than myself felt this way. Thanks!

•••
-db- said:
And lots and lots of not-so-good names are parked because nobody will buy them, at least yet.

If there are developed sites on the other extensions then that is a plus for a name, for sure. But if they are small vanity sites then what does that say? I consider parked pages on other extensions as potential competetion for selling the name, nice big sites on other extensions are possible sources of traffic.

If you are going to develop then it doesn't matter much, go by the key word(s) that are relevant to your topic. In any event, if you believe in the name consider going for it. .MOBI is not that expensive now.

•••
IF its a short, concise keyword specific to mobile related devices then I would personally grab it :)

•••
accentnepal said:
If there are developed sites on the other extensions then that is a plus for a name, for sure. But if they are small vanity sites then what does that say? I consider parked pages on other extensions as potential competetion for selling the name, nice big sites on other extensions are possible sources of traffic.
Not necessarily. I've sold domains (.net, .org, .us, .info) where the buyer actually took comfort knowing the .com was not developed. To them, it meant less competition, and more opportunity to be first by branding 'their' extension. I'm not saying they are correct, I'm just stating the feelings that have been expressed to me.

Of course, the .com will ultimately benefit from any development of other extensions.

I'm not sure about the reverse, other extensions benefiting from the development of the .com? That has not played any significant role in my experience, and I've owned some great non-com domain names. A person looking for Cars.info might type Cars.com, but I'm not convinced a person looking for Cars.com would type Cars.info or Cars.biz (despite my own affection for these alternative extensions).

•••
-db- said:
Of course, the .com will ultimately benefit from any development of other extensions.

One thing for sure if they pull up the .com this time they might be in for a rude awakening. A page that looks like "s-h". That's where I think .mobi will begin to pick up speed when people realize .mobi shows up correct 100% of the time.

It will almost be a like an electronic darwinism....

•••
I never buy a non-.com if the .com is developed. It's just asking for trouble. I prefer my non-.com's to be undeveloped so that I am not directly competing with them.

If the .com is parked...there is a good chance it will stay parked forever.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back