Domain Empire

So When Selling a Domain on GoDaddy Auctions they Hold Funds for 20 Days?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I have never sold a domain on Godaddy's auctions until Sunday.
I have bought a lot of domain on GD's auctions but I usually make my sales through direct sales or on Sedo.

The buyer paid immediately and I see the status is now,
"Funds received, authorization pending"

So I was wanting to know how long it takes to receive payment so I found this on Godaddy's forum, it actually says it can take 26 days,
Once the buyer pays for a domain on Go Daddy Auctions, the funds are held for a full 20 days in the Transaction Assurance period. We release the funds on the 21st day and it may take up to 5 business days for the funds to be submitted to the Pay Pal account you entered when listing the domain. If it has been more than 26 days since you received notice of the buyer’s payment, please contact [email protected] to see if the buyer filed a dispute for non-receipt of the domain. You may review the Go Daddy Auctions Membership Agreement for additional information regarding the payment processing service
http://support.godaddy.com/groups/go-daddy-auctions/forum/topic/not-yet-received-my-payment/

That is a long time to receive your funds.
Has anyone had experience with this, and if so how long did it take you to get your money?

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Go Daddy does this to protect the seller (and Go Daddy--natch).

If a buyer pays with Paypal, he/she can do a charge back for up to 60 days. I think Go Daddy just wants to make sure the buyer isn't a charge back scammer.

Sedo holds funds as well.

So the question posed: do you want your transaction to be fast or safe?

I'll pick safe every single time.

:)

•••
I have never had this come up over at Sedo, they have never held my funds due to buyers payment method, at least not yet.

It never seems to be an issue when using Escrow.com.
Maybe the seller should have the choice of accepting PayPal or not.
I mean if someone has up to 60 days to make a claim then 20 or 26 days wont make much of a difference.

Also how do I as the seller know what payment method the buyer used? If they are not using PayPal then the waiting period shouldn't be so long.

Thanks

Last edited:
•••

I suspect that Go Daddy has some kind of algorithm about number of days a charge back occurs, thus playing the numbers game.

I don't know this for sure, though.

•••
This changed some time ago, now godaddy pays in 4 - 5 days.

•••

That would be cool :)
Thanks dnb8

Rep to you and Ms D :tu:

Last edited:
•••

My Go Daddy rep also told me that once GD releases the funds to the seller, any subsequent charge backs are assumed by Go Daddy, who then claws back the domain from the buyer.

I'm not sure what happens if the domain has been transferred out, though. In any case, the seller is safe--according to account rep.

So I understand why Go Daddy would want to protect its assets.

•••

This is not true unless they changed it in the last week or two.

I just went through the 20 day wait this month.

•••
This is not true unless they changed it in the last week or two.

I just went through the 20 day wait this month.

Well that's a bummer.
I wonder if the 20 day wait period is determined by payment method. :|

•••
•••
@dn8 - You must have friends in high places because I sold a domain on 5th of May and got paid today. I also asked my GoDaddy rep about it just a few days ago and he said, the payment date hasn't changed and was still about 20 days.

•••
If you have a bank account setup with them, they'll wire it in (ACH actually) in 1-2 days for premium listing sales.

gd_ach_1.jpg

Auction sales seem to vary still. I assume it depends on risk involved (payment type / country / etc). Just received payment today for one sold at auctions last week (paypal).

Last edited:
•••
Happy to say I received my payment today :)

It was a total of 9 days.
It might have been 7 or 8 if the sale had not been on the weekend.
The buyer must have used a credit card and not PayPal, I think its when they use PayPal that it takes 20 days.

Its always nice to wake up to a bunch of money in my bank account :tu:

•••
The standard payment time is still 20-26 days. See my remarks above.

•••
•••
•••
Yes, I received my payment......4 years and 24 days ago :xf.grin:
How did you find this old thread?
hahahaha. made a sale on godaddy today was searching a question before i saw this thread via google search

•••
hi @Joe Styler

I just wanted to know why you increaed payment hold all the way to 21 days after buyer pays? why not release it after domain transfers? otherwise its dead money sitting in your accounts doing nothing when it could be used by seller for their own needs.

even when I notify auctions by email that domain transfered to buyer , they will not release it. is it really so hard for someone there to press a button that says release funds, that you need to wait 20 days for your system to do it automatically? when I ask them, I am made feel like I am asking for the moon or some operation that takes huge amounts of time and manpower to complete.

what kind of manpower or how many extra hours does it take for your people to do this upon request? no one is asking you to check if transfers completed for each translation yourself, but how abotu doing it for those who request it cause they may need the funds.

is there some logic behind what you're doing? lack of manpower? complexity involved in pressing release payment button?

can you attempt to put yourself in your sellers shoes and say how you'd feel if you were told that funds which belong to you after sale, now have to sit dead and idle for 20 days, cause no one at gd has time to press the release paymetn button upon request?

thanks a lot for clarifying.

Last edited:
•••
I just wanted to know why you increaed payment hold all the way to 21 days after buyer pays?
When did this supposedly take effect? Because I have never heard of this before with GoDaddy.

And, this thread is nearly 5 years old.

•••
not sure when it happened but I found some older google info that once upon a time payment timelines were under 10 days.

and I know for a fact that just past year, one was able to manually request (email gd auctions) that payout be made to his account, once the transfer completed and I Was able to see new owner in whois.

now they say they no longer do this, and a full 21 days has to be waited out. at which time the system automatically proceeds to payout. so I am not sure if they just got lazy or they are so severely understuffed that they cannot release payment upon request OR it takes so long to hit release payment button OR some other reason unknown to us all.

ty

•••
We pay people for domain sales multiple ways so it really depends on how and where you sold the domain name and where the domain name was registered at the time of sale. There are other factors but those are the main ones. Most sales that process are paid within 6 days automatically. Some sales take longer. I'll give you an example of one type that does. If you sell a domain name without a Buy Now Price and the domain is registered outside of GoDaddy and the buyer is at GoDaddy then you need to do a transfer.
Funds take five days for us to clear them once they are paid. This is how long we are comfortable with because of potential fraud and chargeback issues. Once we determine the funds are good we will allow the transfer of the domain to the buyer. You need to work that out with them to move the domain. Transfers can take 7 days depending on the registrar, some do not allow you to speed it up by accepting it. We sell a lot of domains to non US buyers or from non US sellers. There are time zone differences and we like to have some padding. So the fastest a name can move in some cases is 12 days. We wait 20 to pay because we want a week where the buyer can say - hey I bought this domain and the seller isn't giving it to me. That way if there are any issues or problems, or confusion, we have a lot of end users on the auction and they may need help to understand and process the transfer then we have some time built in.
We are not an escrow company. This means legally we cannot give you the money when the domain is moved to the buyer based on that fact. If we take money in and hold it until the product is moved and then pay out based on that movement we act as an escrow company. There are many legal concerns that come from that and we do not want to do it. We do not want to become an escrow company nor do we always want to pass off sales to a third party escrow company. We have had internal conversations about this for many years and engaged internal and external counsel. Long story short we won't do it and we think you are going to have more sales the way we are doing it currently than any of the other multitude of options we have explored over the past many years. We are doing things to shorten the time frame. When I started in the auctions team I think some transactions took close to 40 days and I am sure that there was a 30 day period for many years. We then went to 20. We are looking at other ways to further shorten this. It used to be 30 on any transaction. It is now 20 on very few transactions, most payments now happen in 6 days or less. So we have made significant progress in staying in compliance, keeping fraud at bay, and paying people faster. If we ok the release of your funds early because the domain moved we are acting as an escrow company - releasing funds based on a commodity that was sold and given to the buyer. We won't do that in almost all cases. I am not a lawyer so I am going off what internal and external counsel have told me.
I hope you understand that most sales do not take 20 days to get you paid and we have made progress over the years in shortening the payout in many cases and are continuing to work on this. Perhaps this is the reason you have never come across this time frame before.

•••
Actually if you look at the top of the thread you can see it was 26 days that the OP was quoting. We have shortened the time over the years.

•••
We pay people for domain sales multiple ways so it really depends on how and where you sold the domain name and where the domain name was registered at the time of sale. There are other factors but those are the main ones. Most sales that process are paid within 6 days automatically. Some sales take longer. I'll give you an example of one type that does. If you sell a domain name without a Buy Now Price and the domain is registered outside of GoDaddy and the buyer is at GoDaddy then you need to do a transfer.
Funds take five days for us to clear them once they are paid. This is how long we are comfortable with because of potential fraud and chargeback issues. Once we determine the funds are good we will allow the transfer of the domain to the buyer. You need to work that out with them to move the domain. Transfers can take 7 days depending on the registrar, some do not allow you to speed it up by accepting it. We sell a lot of domains to non US buyers or from non US sellers. There are time zone differences and we like to have some padding. So the fastest a name can move in some cases is 12 days. We wait 20 to pay because we want a week where the buyer can say - hey I bought this domain and the seller isn't giving it to me. That way if there are any issues or problems, or confusion, we have a lot of end users on the auction and they may need help to understand and process the transfer then we have some time built in.
We are not an escrow company. This means legally we cannot give you the money when the domain is moved to the buyer based on that fact. If we take money in and hold it until the product is moved and then pay out based on that movement we act as an escrow company. There are many legal concerns that come from that and we do not want to do it. We do not want to become an escrow company nor do we always want to pass off sales to a third party escrow company. We have had internal conversations about this for many years and engaged internal and external counsel. Long story short we won't do it and we think you are going to have more sales the way we are doing it currently than any of the other multitude of options we have explored over the past many years. We are doing things to shorten the time frame. When I started in the auctions team I think some transactions took close to 40 days and I am sure that there was a 30 day period for many years. We then went to 20. We are looking at other ways to further shorten this. It used to be 30 on any transaction. It is now 20 on very few transactions, most payments now happen in 6 days or less. So we have made significant progress in staying in compliance, keeping fraud at bay, and paying people faster. If we ok the release of your funds early because the domain moved we are acting as an escrow company - releasing funds based on a commodity that was sold and given to the buyer. We won't do that in almost all cases. I am not a lawyer so I am going off what internal and external counsel have told me.
I hope you understand that most sales do not take 20 days to get you paid and we have made progress over the years in shortening the payout in many cases and are continuing to work on this. Perhaps this is the reason you have never come across this time frame before.

ty. obviously I was referign to gd auctions. not premium listings. which are 5-6 days payout.

for gd auctions, I am told there is not a thing I can do (email you or what not) to accelerate payout and need to wait a full 21 days. from either the time buyer pays, or his payment clears I forget which one. but I hope its at least the former.

that being said, often buyer initiates transfer right after payment clears and I send codes fast too.. and most registrars allow expediating. which essentially means that domain can be in his account 1-2 days after cleared payment.

now I know what you mean about some tranafers taking long etc.. which is why you need that timeframe.. and I do not mind any of that.. but putting all you said and all I said above..

and putting a simple sceneratio before you, whereby all above is done and I am able to verifiy domain in his account.. why can a seller then not email you and request release.. like it was possible for past 2-3 years??? suddenly I get responses you no longer do that and wait for automated release. hence my questions.. whether you are just understuffed so badly.. or hitting release button is such a time taking task? or what other reason?

my question was about thta.. less so about the various scenararios, transfer times etc.. I just wanna know why past 2-3 years I was able to email you once domain was confirmed by me in whois that buyer has it.. and you releasead my payment. and now I have to sit and wait for my money sometimes 1 week sometimes 2+ weeks.

who or why at gd sits down at a round table and stands up to say "let's improve what we've been doing before (not), and no longer allow releasing payments upon request for fully completed transactions like we did for past X years"... I want to know why this happens.. and also that I do not believe this guy should get a promotion because there isn't a single seller out there for whom this has improved his situation. au contraire.

thanks a lot.

•••
It happens for 5 days too on auction sales if the domain is registered at Godaddy when it sells. (almost always).
You are right in the past we released the funds sooner easier than we do now. But something changed. The number of requests to do that were previously very few and they increased substantially over the past year. This lead to two problems. 1. Support spending a significant amount of time on these exceptions. They are exceptions and the system is not set up to handle these without manual intervention which isn't quick so it was stopping them from responding to customers with other questions quickly.
2. We are not an escrow company and we can't act like one. This is really important legally. When it was a few requests here and there ok we can make some exceptions. When we are being bombarded with requests then an outside auditor can say hey you are not an escrow company and you sure seem to be acting like one in a decent amount of transactions. That will get us into legal and compliance issues we are simply not going to do something that could get us into trouble like that.

We had a bunch of people involved in the decision and legal was part of it. I don't know what the magic number of payments is we can't exceed I just know the legal and compliance team do not want us anywhere near that. We cannot act as escrow or show a pattern of doing so.

There is a way to get paid faster. Have the domain at GoDaddy when it sells. If that is the case we can move it ourselves to the buyer. Some big sellers know this and try to transfer the domain to themselves before the 5 days are up and then we check to see if the domain is with us and if so we move it to the buyer and you are paid sooner - day 6. This is tricky because when a buyer buys a domain on the auction that is not registered at GoDaddy they automatically get a transfer added to the sale so they need to buy a transfer. We do this because we had a lot of buyers buy the domains and not realize they needed to transfer the domain afterwards and just ignored us after they bought the domain thinking who knows maybe we were trying to sell them something instead of help them. So we force a transfer to be purchased by the domain buyer at the time they checkout the auction win. This has significantly increased the amount of transactions that are completed. i.e. more payments for sellers because they get the buyers their domains.
The catch here is that we only allow one domain transfer at a time to be purchased so you either need to ask the domain buyer to cancel his transfer and get a refund and explain that you will have the domain moved to him via GoDaddy and then buy your own transfer and get the domain moved to your account before day 5 or you won't make it in time to get the domain auto moved and you will have to wait the 20 days.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back