Dynadot

So here's one that hasn't asked before... .ca vs. .ru (Canada v. Russia)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which has more potential as an extension for a name able to be resold?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • .RU

votes
    12.8%
  • .CA

votes
    87.2%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Basically, I've noticed we have a lot of .ca fans milling about, but haven't met any sold-out .ru fans yet...
My take is that Canada has a higher earnings per capita and a more "developed" country, but it's hard to compete with Russia's raw purchasing power and the overwhelming number of the rising generation that eats/lives/sleeps/drinks computers.

So, straightforward question:
Which extension do you view as having the most potential as a resellable name and why?

-Allan

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think those of you in the United States or Europe underestimate the resell value of .ca domains. In my mind, a domain gains value when the average person would think to check "someproduct.ca" or "someproduct.net", etc. At the moment I would value .ca domains well above .us.

Living in Canada myself, I'm sure many others woudl agree that the extension is well known here and people do check the .ca extensions of many websites.

•••
I think .ca is more popular (or more likely to be typed in) in Canada then .us is in the United States.

Mind you, there is a big difference in population though.

ST

•••
Personally I think that the resell value of a good .ca will be decent, but I can't see any blockbuster sales happening any time soon... My personal goal for these (I mean the available 3 letter .ca's) would be to invest the $10 reg fee on a few that I hope will turn into maybe low $xxx in a year or two...

And if that doesn't happen I have some nice short domain names to develop :)

Personally I think type-ins will certainly try .ca before .ru and I know for sure in Canada even before .info, .biz, and in a lot of cases maybe even .net...

•••
I like the .ca domain extension better :D

•••
The difference in population should not be the issue. Canadian consumers have much deeper pockets than Russian ones, and so therefore the traffic (even if it would me less to a domain like "computers.ca" compared to "computers.ru" is much more valuable.

•••
disneyland.ca

AEIOU said:
The header sounds like a icehockey final.

I´ve voted for .ru because I have never been on an important .ca site and I don´t know any.

I like the Canadian Moose but not their extension. ;)

There are an enormous amount of .ca websites. Go to www.disneyland.ca or nissan.ca...I could go on and on.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back