NameSilo

status-resolved Signature is now hidden on namePros.com? What's going on?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

NameInbox

Top Member
Impact
Hey, what's going on?

I just noticed that signature is now hidden on namepros. 1-st I need to click on "Show signature" and 2-nd it will appear(see att).

1695887935244.png

Can anyone explain why it's so? It's just forums updates or can I fix it on settings somewhere?
Anyone
Thanks

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I noticed today that I no longer see anyone's signature.
Yeah. A bad change. Since we're in "ask moderator" thread, may I ask why is this, in particular why NP made it harder to indentify who posts under this or that @ username [what service they run or represent] so that it now harder to determine what 3rd party services may/should [or shouldn't] be used? Saying nothing about the fact that signatures offering something may be useful?

•••
Hi

seems you have to click on the link that's in the place where your sig was, to see it.

imo...

•••
Maybe because it was mainly used as an AtEnTiOn-grabbing 👉👉 ads of seller's stuff, which is annoying and looks bad in user experience overall, imo of course

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
I wrote in my signature that this forum is run by tyrants.

Thereupon, they deleted my signature, restricted my ability to change my signature, and then activated that change regarding signatures of to be hidden because of what I clearly wrote.

This is further proof that this forum is run by tyrants.

•••
This update was supposed to add signatures on mobile, which has been a popular requested feature for a while.

However, it doesn’t appear to have done that either.

We’ll look into it.

•••
I wrote in my signature that this forum is run by tyrants.

Thereupon, they deleted my signature, restricted my ability to change my signature, and then activated that change regarding signatures of to be hidden because of what I clearly wrote.

This is further proof that this forum is run by tyrants.
If they were tyrants, you wouldn't been unbanned thought

•••
Signatures are now accessible on mobile.

The “Show signature” feature was built based on community feedback and influenced by other popular servicss such as Gmail, but it’s a work in progress.

Let us share with you how we plan for it to work once it’s complete, and please feel free to suggest improvements:

For members:
  1. On smaller devices, the “Show signature” link will always show since there isn’t much space available. Previously, signatures were inaccessible on small mobile devices.
  2. Articles (not their comments) always use “Show signature,” since they also have an “About author” section right below them.
  3. On larger devices, the “Show signature” link will show if you uncheck “Show people's signatures with their posts and messages” under Preferences. Otherwise, the signature will show immediately.
For guests:
  • Guests previously could not access signatures. We’re considering always using “Show signature” for guests. Probably best that we don’t do this one.

Please let us know your thoughts.

Edited to add strike-through.

Last edited:
•••
For members:
  1. On smaller devices, the “Show signature” link will always show since there isn’t much space available. Previously, signatures were inaccessible on small mobile devices.
What is considered a small or large device, resolution wise?

1. On larger devices, the “Show signature” link will show if you uncheck “Show people's signatures with their posts and messages” under Preferences. Otherwise, the signature will show immediately.
Makes sense. The signature should show by default if the resolution supports it.

For guests:
  • Guests previously could not access signatures. We’re considering always using “Show signature” for guests.
Why not just show the signature for guests? Is there a reason it should be disabled by default?

Brad

Last edited:
•••
Just keep making NP the place not to go to anymore... The marketplace is already there anyway.

•••
What is considered a small or large device, resolution wise?
Small is the size of a mobile phone, smaller than a tablet. @Quebec Tech Team could tell you the size in pixels.

Everything else is considered large.

Why not just show the signature for guests? Is there a reason it should be disabled by default?
Hiding it for guests is a common practice so that search engines only index content relevant to the topic, to dissuade link-building spammers from flooding the forums with low-quality content to spread their signature for SEO/promotion, etc.

Just keep making NP the place not to go to anymore...
This feature was added due to popular request, but we’re still working out the finer details.

Please reply to our DM when you can: https://www.namepros.com/conversations/how-can-namepros-improve.3339636/

We appreciate constructive feedback.

•••
Small is the size of a mobile phone, smaller than a tablet. @Quebec Tech Team could tell you the size in pixels.

Everything else is considered large.

Hiding it for guests is a common practice so that search engines only index content relevant to the topic, to dissuade link-building spammers from flooding the forums with low-quality content to spread their signature for SEO, etc.
That makes sense.

Then I guess the main issue right now is that it shows "Show signature" on larger devices when logged in, instead of just showing the signature.

Brad

•••
This feature was added due to popular request, but we’re still working out the finer details.
They requested to be able to view signatures on mobile view. Not have to click a link to view signatures.... If that's the only way you can do it at least keep it showing for desktops, tablets, etc., and have the link only on mobile view. A signature is a huge advertisement perk for users on forums, making someone click the link to view it, especially on the desktop is a slap in the face for your community members. As most humans read they will just keep skimming and reading, never see your signature.

•••
They requested to be able to view signatures on mobile view. Not have to click a link to view signatures.... If that's the only way you can do it at least keep it showing for desktops, tablets, etc., and have the link only on mobile view. A signature is a huge advertisement perk for users on forums, making someone click the link to view it, especially on the desktop is a slap in the face for your community members. As most humans read they will just keep skimming and reading, never see your signature.
It was not supposed to affect desktop users. That will be fixed soon.

•••
•••
•••
•••
It should be fixed now.
Just to confirm, it seems to be fixed.

On my desktop/tablet it displays normally.
On my phone (landscape) it shows normally.

On my phone (portrait) it has "show signature".

Brad

•••
Yep, as for me, such was a plan from a start:xf.smile:
1696140992809.png

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back