Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

Should I quit domaining?

SpaceshipSpaceship
Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

katerleonid

Established Member
:heavy_check_mark: NameSilo.com
Impact
3,807
I need your advice.

A friend reached out and said something that really made me think:

Should I move my domains to somewhere else… or just get rid of them? They don’t actually sell.

And honestly, that question hit me harder than I expected.

Because I think every domainer - beginner or veteran - has faced this moment.

You buy domains. You believe in them. You refresh marketplaces hoping for offers. You tell yourself, “one of them will sell soon.”

But days turn into months. Renewals keep coming. And your passion slowly turns into frustration.

You start thinking...
Maybe I should’ve never gotten into domaining in the first place.

And that’s when I remembered my own story.

In 2021, I got into daily stock trading.
At first, I made money. Everyone wasm, remember the 2021 GME madness?

But when the wave broke, I started losing. Still, I kept going. Because I didn’t want to quit.

Until one day, I saw my wife’s face - tired, frustrated - watching me lose money every day while calling it a business.

That’s when I learned something most people avoid talking about.
And that brings me back to my friend’s question:

When’s the right moment to quit domaining?
Or should you keep going… hoping for that one domain that changes everything?
 
35
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
I need your advice.

A friend reached out and said something that really made me think:

Should I move my domains to somewhere else… or just get rid of them? They don’t actually sell.

And honestly, that question hit me harder than I expected.

Because I think every domainer - beginner or veteran - has faced this moment.

You buy domains. You believe in them. You refresh marketplaces hoping for offers. You tell yourself, “one of them will sell soon.”

But days turn into months. Renewals keep coming. And your passion slowly turns into frustration.

You start thinking...
Maybe I should’ve never gotten into domaining in the first place.

And that’s when I remembered my own story.

In 2021, I got into daily stock trading.
At first, I made money. Everyone wasm, remember the 2021 GME madness?

But when the wave broke, I started losing. Still, I kept going. Because I didn’t want to quit.

Until one day, I saw my wife’s face - tired, frustrated - watching me lose money every day while calling it a business.

That’s when I learned something most people avoid talking about.
And that brings me back to my friend’s question:

When’s the right moment to quit domaining?
Or should you keep going… hoping for that one domain that changes everything?

I am in business for 23 years.
I'm thinking of exiting.
This industry is too cold.
 
1
•••
I am in business for 23 years.
I'm thinking of exiting.
This industry is too cold.
This isn't about the industry. It's about you not respecting domain auction commitments.
 
1
•••
I think it's a pointless thread, because there is not one answer and it really depends on each person's circumstances. You can keep your best names as a side investment and then buy new names when a name stands out only. Buying coffee every day costs you let's say $1500 annually. That's the renewal cost of 150 names without any sales. Price your names $1500-1999. You need one sale to cover the cost of renewals.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
I need your advice.

A friend reached out and said something that really made me think:

Should I move my domains to somewhere else… or just get rid of them? They don’t actually sell.

And honestly, that question hit me harder than I expected.

Because I think every domainer - beginner or veteran - has faced this moment.

You buy domains. You believe in them. You refresh marketplaces hoping for offers. You tell yourself, “one of them will sell soon.”

But days turn into months. Renewals keep coming. And your passion slowly turns into frustration.

You start thinking...
Maybe I should’ve never gotten into domaining in the first place.

And that’s when I remembered my own story.

In 2021, I got into daily stock trading.
At first, I made money. Everyone wasm, remember the 2021 GME madness?

But when the wave broke, I started losing. Still, I kept going. Because I didn’t want to quit.

Until one day, I saw my wife’s face - tired, frustrated - watching me lose money every day while calling it a business.

That’s when I learned something most people avoid talking about.
And that brings me back to my friend’s question:

When’s the right moment to quit domaining?
Or should you keep going… hoping for that one domain that changes everything?
Use your own landers, do not rely on anybody.
 
0
•••
This isn't about the industry. It's about you not respecting domain auction commitments.
Assets do not enter liquidation auctions in a favorable envirolment.
May be you stick around for a longer perion but I think you may regret it.
 
Last edited:
0
•••
I am not quitting! Even though for three months there is no big ticket sales. I am sticking to it because I have several other income sources.
One question, why don't Afternic, Sedo share parking revenue with the domain owners?
Thanks Haroon for confessing that you have several other source of incomes. That's why, you are in domaining business despite lower sales. But Your profile speaks different story , you are a highly successful and sober domainer. So many things to learn from you as a matured domainer. Class is permanent and time is temporary.
 
0
•••
Anyone who doesn't have the patience of a saint should not be domaining.

It's a long haul endeavor not instant results/gratifiction.

There is no shame in anyone deciding it's not for them. Many try it and leave.
In domaining, patience means nothing without money
 
2
•••
I am in business for 23 years.
I'm thinking of exiting.
This industry is too cold.

It's not just the domain industry; this applies to every industry. There's a time for everything! Don't stress, you/we'll be fine. If no one is there to encourage you, give yourself a little boost and a pat on the back!

You have the resources, so consider exploring additional income sources and avoid putting all your eggs in one basket.

Domaining can be a bit frustrating, even if you have toptier names.
 
2
•••
In domaining, patience means nothing without money

I totally agree with this - to be successful you not only need talent and some intelligence, but also lots of time, money and patience.

Domain investing is probably the worst possible place to look, to try to "get rich quick".
 
Last edited:
5
•••
I totally agree with this - to be successful you not only need talent and some intelligence, but also lots of time, money and patience.

Domain investing is probably the worst possible place to look, to try to "get rich quick".
Nobody is forcing you to register the domain...
Domaining is just a BS stress free hobby...
Making money was not the intention but somehow I make so much money from domains that I don't care less because that not the main intention
When you go fishing thinking you will catch fish and caught nothing you will be disappointed
Just enjoy the Waters and view ,the rest is bonus
 
2
•••
Domaining is just a BS stress free hobby...
Making money was not the intention but somehow I make so much money from domains that I don't care less because that not the main intention

Obviously I'm referring to real domain investing where you're buying 3-, 4- and even 5-figure expired domains and trying to turn a profit on them, not hand-registering $10 lottery ticket junkers and hoping & praying that one comes up a winner.

So if spending tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars on investment-quality domains is "a stress free hobby" then you clearly and obviously have a LOT of free money to spend.

That's what we're all saying - in order to invest in serious domains you need serious capital to start.
 
Last edited:
5
•••
Obviously I'm referring to real domain investing where you're buying 3-, 4- and even 5-figure expired domains and trying to turn a profit on them, not hand-registering $10 lottery ticket junkers and hoping & praying that one comes up a winner.

So if spending tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars on investment-quality domains is "a stress free hobby" then you clearly and obviously have a LOT of free money to spend.

That's what we're all saying - in order to invest in serious domains you need serious capital to start.

All domains were hand reg....


What do so called full time domainers do all day??
 
0
•••
I think you need to do a personal inventory on what you have, what you owe and where you wish to be. Then you need to see if domaining fits in with it.

Firstly I have left a LOT of money on the table in my life. I did not get into crypto, not into day trading and several other things. I do not regret them even though I have been working the last 4 years with some people at work that pimp Bitcoin like every time I see them.

I got into domains because I saw a lot of good domains going and I wanted options if I wanted to start a project or business.

I NEVER get into the get rich shit.

I have been contributing to a couple of index funds and with my salary and then my social security and a pension when I retire count myself very fortunate.

Index funds alone will give me a livable safe draw rate that will give me a comfortable living but not extravagant.

For you it concerns me that you are doing this with you and your wife's future. Set aside a safe budget with some throw away money and if you want to put that into high risk investments then do it from there. All your hobbies should fall under that budget.

I do not know what your annual renewal is for all of your domains but mine is manageable. I think I spent about 1,000 USD for long term renewals on all of my domains last year. Long term means 8-10 years. That money came from a sale but that was a 1-2% out of a sale I made last year.

I wish you luck but I urge you not to fall into popular traps. I have most of my money into index funds and I am scared because the market seems like it is in a place it has never been before and the the world economies seem a lot more unsure to me.

Good luck.
 
3
•••
I need your advice.

A friend reached out and said something that really made me think:

Should I move my domains to somewhere else… or just get rid of them? They don’t actually sell.

And honestly, that question hit me harder than I expected.

Because I think every domainer - beginner or veteran - has faced this moment.

You buy domains. You believe in them. You refresh marketplaces hoping for offers. You tell yourself, “one of them will sell soon.”

But days turn into months. Renewals keep coming. And your passion slowly turns into frustration.

You start thinking...
Maybe I should’ve never gotten into domaining in the first place.

And that’s when I remembered my own story.

In 2021, I got into daily stock trading.
At first, I made money. Everyone wasm, remember the 2021 GME madness?

But when the wave broke, I started losing. Still, I kept going. Because I didn’t want to quit.

Until one day, I saw my wife’s face - tired, frustrated - watching me lose money every day while calling it a business.

That’s when I learned something most people avoid talking about.
And that brings me back to my friend’s question:

When’s the right moment to quit domaining?
Or should you keep going… hoping for that one domain that changes everything?
Yes Quit b4 you get good at it and become competition, flip houses cars or even burgers ,,, you will make a lot more money >>>>>>>>>>>>
 
2
•••
I need your advice.

A friend reached out and said something that really made me think:

Should I move my domains to somewhere else… or just get rid of them? They don’t actually sell.

And honestly, that question hit me harder than I expected.

Because I think every domainer - beginner or veteran - has faced this moment.

You buy domains. You believe in them. You refresh marketplaces hoping for offers. You tell yourself, “one of them will sell soon.”

But days turn into months. Renewals keep coming. And your passion slowly turns into frustration.

You start thinking...
Maybe I should’ve never gotten into domaining in the first place.

And that’s when I remembered my own story.

In 2021, I got into daily stock trading.
At first, I made money. Everyone wasm, remember the 2021 GME madness?

But when the wave broke, I started losing. Still, I kept going. Because I didn’t want to quit.

Until one day, I saw my wife’s face - tired, frustrated - watching me lose money every day while calling it a business.

That’s when I learned something most people avoid talking about.
And that brings me back to my friend’s question:

When’s the right moment to quit domaining?
Or should you keep going… hoping for that one domain that changes everything?
Anyone who has ever sold a single domain will never leave this industry.
I think domaining is like an addiction. I will die but I will not leave domain.
 
1
•••
Anyone who has ever sold a single domain will never leave this industry.
I think domaining is like an addiction. I will die but I will not leave domain.
I agree. Did you come here from my X post?
 
0
•••
1
•••
On average, I have made a profit from selling /leasing domain names every single year for the last 20 years. Some years more than others. I think if you have good names, someone will want them. But I'm also in the situation where I've been developing my domain names into SaaS, content websites, and generating revenue over the last couple of years.
 
1
•••
My first domain sale was Rushh.com, a hand-registered name that sold inbound for $1,800 almost 20 years ago. Domaining, like stocks and crypto, blends skill, timing, and a bit of luck—different percentages for everyone.Twice I tried to quit: I bulk-auctioned a 1,000+ domain portfolio and let many expire. I also run a textile factory and logistics services, and I’ve realized domaining isn’t my main passion. I’m a teetotaler and don’t smoke—domaining became my only “addiction,” and I’m working to put healthier boundaries around it.After the Uni marketplace shutdown, six good years of parking revenue disappeared, and parking is basically dead for me. I’m taking a long break to focus on my core businesses. If I return, it will be with clear goals, systems, and maybe some AI help for outbound. Thank you to everyone who’s been part of the ride—learned a lot, met great people, and I’m rooting for your wins.

--------------------

This is what i thought to post.
But I know I can't quit domaining.
So i will continue domaining.
😃😄😀
 
6
•••
My first domain sale was Rushh.com, a hand-registered name that sold inbound for $1,800 almost 20 years ago. Domaining, like stocks and crypto, blends skill, timing, and a bit of luck—different percentages for everyone.Twice I tried to quit: I bulk-auctioned a 1,000+ domain portfolio and let many expire. I also run a textile factory and logistics services, and I’ve realized domaining isn’t my main passion. I’m a teetotaler and don’t smoke—domaining became my only “addiction,” and I’m working to put healthier boundaries around it.After the Uni marketplace shutdown, six good years of parking revenue disappeared, and parking is basically dead for me. I’m taking a long break to focus on my core businesses. If I return, it will be with clear goals, systems, and maybe some AI help for outbound. Thank you to everyone who’s been part of the ride—learned a lot, met great people, and I’m rooting for your wins.

--------------------

This is what i thought to post.
But I know I can't quit domaining.
So i will continue domaining.
😃😄😀
Nice story.
 
1
•••
DomainEasy: flexible LTO options. Close more domain deals with financing.

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back