Domain Empire

Should employees be required to disclose their employment with a domain industry company?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Should employees be required to disclose their employment with a domain industry company?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
There has been much discussion about a particular company disclosing employees with employee badges. Some seem to appreciate this, others seem to take issue with it.

Let's discuss!

All members and all employees welcome!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Of course they should, it is standard practice across many other industries.

•••
Yes.

How will I otherwise know my complaint about GD is being addressed by real GD employee?

•••
Yes.

How will I otherwise know my complaint about GD is being addressed by real GD employee?
Agreed. The transparency is nice. It's good to know who we are dealing with, particularly if the are an employee of a domain industry company.

•••
Yes,

They saw the price Epik paid.

Innovating more ways than one. (y)

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Yes, but they wont.

They saw the price Epik paid.

Innovating more ways than one. (y)

Samer
I believe there was only a few people attacking those employees. For the most part I feel most people appreciate the openness of disclosing employment in the industry (poll will show more clarity). I hope other company employees are not discouraged to disclose just because a few baseless, unnecessary, mean spirited attacks recently received.

•••
I believe there was only a few people attacking those employees. For the most part I feel most people appreciate the openness of disclosing employment in the industry (poll will show more clarity). I hope other company employees are not discouraged to disclose just because a few baseless, unnecessary, mean spirited attacks recently received.

Wow that was easy. You're right, same people!

I edited my post into something more hopeful.

Bring out all the undercover GD :xf.grin:

Samer

•••
Lets respect for all registrar , better to do poll only once per years, at least 10%- 20% of total namepros members engage in yearly poll. Or poll should to cancel if there isn't 10%-20 % members.

•••
One one hand we have forcing forum members to disclose their affiliation.
On the other, we have the risk of forum members having hidden agendas when discussing this or that registrar/service/problem.

Instead, it would be perfect if members who have particular interests in a given discussion, disclose their affiliation in the first post of their participation in the discussion, or refrain from taking part in it altogether.

•••
Of course they should if their job is to provide any kind of support to NP members. If they're here as individuals that's another story.

I would be happy to see (aside from the gazillion Epik guys) another 10 GD employees, 7 Dynadot, 7 Namesilo, 7 Namecheap and another 5 for each other registrar helping you out with everything registrar-side related issues. Do you imagine how this place would look like? :)

Last edited:
•••
I would be happy to see (aside from the gazillion Epik guys) another 10 GD employees, 7 Dynadot, 7 Namesilo, 7 Namecheap and another 5 for each other registrar helping you out with everything registrar-side related issues. Do you imagine how this place would look like? :)

The more the better!

•••
The other guys usually have one employee account here and only post when the registrar’s actions come into question. Rob did what most do not— he hired actual domainers and most were here before they became employees. So an employee who has nothing to do with the domain industry from the inside probably has no interest in being an active member here.

•••
I believe it all depends on the discussion that is taking place,

if an employee of a Registrar, Registry, or any other company or business related to the domain Industry is taking part in a discussion that might be considered as giving domain advice, making a review, promoting any domain related products or services, or any other similar subjects where other people reading the thread might somehow get influenced by what is being discussed as far as the choices that they might make then the members should be required to disclose which company they are working for.

It might also be a good idea to go one step further and disclose any other type of affliction that a member might have such as being a reseller, owner, or supplier of any goods or services in the background that relates to the domain Industry somehow.

The reverse might also be true as far as requiring members to make a disclaimer which indicates that they don't work for or are not affiliated with anyone if they are recommending the products or services of a certain company just as a regular member.

IMO

•••
There has been much discussion about a particular company disclosing employees with employee badges. Some seem to appreciate this, others seem to take issue with it.

I vote, no

only requirement should be that members follow the rules.
and, if, that single requirement had been "enforced equally" across the board, then prolly wouldn't have this thread now.

still,
common sense, politeness, transparency, morality, ethics, etc, etc are the decision makers that compel one to disclose their affiliations, when it's not known to the GP and it's concerning a subject where they have vested interest in.

now if someone is affiliated and doesn't disclose voluntarily, all while engaging in the conversation where they have vested interest in.....
then maybe their reasons why, could be questionable..... depending on the subject and particularly if there is money involved.

on other side of that coin....

if i am a moderator on another forum which is part of domain industry, then i cannot promote it or even discuss it, because it's against forum rules

so, i'd be forced to not disclose that affiliation, should there be a related subject of discussion.
and i wouldn't be allowed to get a badge to promote it either.

and on other side, of the other coin....

you may have some reps who don't disclose, simply because they don't want to deal with all the questions and complaints.

imo….

•••
If they represent or promote the company they work for or they are on the clock (the company has asked them to work the forums) then yes - they should be disclosed

if this is a side hobby and they don't mention their day job then, no, they don't need to disclose where they work.

Last edited:
•••

Let's discuss!

All members and all employees welcome!

They MUST, as long as they are advocating or promoting a service/product/company. I dont want someone to give me suggestions to a company that might be biased when they work there while in the same time trashing the competitors.

•••
I suspect that even the mods play with new ids.

•••
Explanation: I don't understand the question.

•••
I vote, no

only requirement should be that members follow the rules.
and, if, that single requirement had been "enforced equally" across the board, then prolly wouldn't have this thread now.

still,
common sense, politeness, transparency, morality, ethics, etc, etc are the decision makers that compel one to disclose their affiliations, when it's not known to the GP and it's concerning a subject where they have vested interest in.

now if someone is affiliated and doesn't disclose voluntarily, all while engaging in the conversation where they have vested interest in.....
then maybe their reasons why, could be questionable..... depending on the subject and particularly if there is money involved.

on other side of that coin....

if i am a moderator on another forum which is part of domain industry, then i cannot promote it or even discuss it, because it's against forum rules

so, i'd be forced to not disclose that affiliation, should there be a related subject of discussion.
and i wouldn't be allowed to get a badge to promote it either.

and on other side, of the other coin....

you may have some reps who don't disclose, simply because they don't want to deal with all the questions and complaints.

imo….

Oh Don you are going old school back to the days when [Competing forum] and Namepros did not allow the posting of the name of the other forum, I believe at one time if you typed it it was altered like how it alters banned words like Fuck.

Those were the dayssssssssssssssssssss

I kid, that was ridiculous, I remember the first time I typed the word Namepros on [Competing forum].

Still I remember the one namepros member who joined and then said in a heated debate on [Competing forum]

"I am using my constitutionally protected rights to free speech" The [Competing forum] mod came back with, "You have no rights here, this is a private entity, you have no rights!" I still quote that back and forth over a decade later. I don't think that brash mod was you. hahahaha

•••
I suspect that even the mods play with new ids.
Could you please explain more what do you mean by this? Cause honestly, I did not understand what you meant it.

•••
This thread is about whether or not you have another interest or motive into posting. A hidden agenda. Eg Company says to staff go join forums and start topics on blah blah but don't tell them you work here.

Last edited:
•••

Having a requirement wouldn't matter all that much, as this site is infested with fake accounts under the control of companies, fronting as individual users.

•••
I voted yes. When I read something I want to know if there are relationships which might have influenced what was said. I have no problem with honest expressions as long as I know there is the possibility they have been influenced. In most science papers it is now required to disclose all associations, even if fairly slight or in past.

The difficulty is that there are a myriad of potential relationships beyond employee ones. Like I suspect most NamePros members have some sort of affiliate relationships - should those be included? What about people that have blogs or lists that are funded by a variety of companies? Would get messy.

I think it is good practice, if there is any chance of perceived influence, that the person indicate in their post any relationships. Alternatively, simply not post when they feel compromised on a fair view on an issue.

A couple of times over the years I have read a negative opinion on a service, only later to learn that the individual was involved with a competing product, not that being indicated in any way. I don't like that.

Bob

•••
Oh Don you are going old school back to the days when [Competing forum] and Namepros did not allow the posting of the name of the other forum, I believe at one time if you typed it it was altered like how it alters banned words like f*ck.

Those were the dayssssssssssssssssssss

I kid, that was ridiculous, I remember the first time I typed the word Namepros on [Competing forum].

Still I remember the one namepros member who joined and then said in a heated debate on [Competing forum]

"I am using my constitutionally protected rights to free speech" The [Competing forum] mod came back with, "You have no rights here, this is a private entity, you have no rights!" I still quote that back and forth over a decade later. I don't think that brash mod was you. hahahaha

Oh damn Don it's still going on, I did not know that, but I have heard about a couple other forums getting ready to come online, so there will be more edits.

•••
I voted yes. When I read something I want to know if there are relationships which might have influenced what was said. I have no problem with honest expressions as long as I know there is the possibility they have been influenced. In most science papers it is now required to disclose all associations, even if fairly slight or in past.

The difficulty is that there are a myriad of potential relationships beyond employee ones. Like I suspect most NamePros members have some sort of affiliate relationships - should those be included? What about people that have blogs or lists that are funded by a variety of companies? Would get messy.

I think it is good practice, if there is any chance of perceived influence, that the person indicate in their post any relationships. Alternatively, simply not post when they feel compromised on a fair view on an issue.

A couple of times over the years I have read a negative opinion on a service, only later to learn that the individual was involved with a competing product, not that being indicated in any way. I don't like that.

Bob

I agree Bob, but we now have a problem, a schism if you will. The EPIK employees are out there, the mods/management have said they know there are hundreds of other employees from industry companies here, and they don't have badges.

After the last two weeks do you think they are going to add one? I am willing to bet no.

Everyone should, it should be like affiliate link disclosures. You let people know, it doesn't cost them more to use your link but you let them know so they can contemplate if they believe you are only recommending something because you get paid a commission if they buy.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back