Domain Empire

Short IDN symbols - what price?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Can you tell me, what pricing have currently short domain names, eg.
Ŋ.com
Δ.net
Ө.org
▀.biz
.info
☼.com
☺.net
♀.org
...and many others?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
zero dollar for most of them
google "IDNA2008" + symbol

•••
•••
The trouble with these kind of domains is that the typical internet user does not know how to type them. Otherwise they would have been worth much, much more!

•••
Soon they will not function, read the IDNF.

•••
The trouble with these kind of domains is that the typical internet user does not know how to type them. Otherwise they would have been worth much, much more!

I would have to totally agree. Symbol domains are totally worthless IMO

I do not know where are you guys from, but, if you are not a Chinese, not a Japanese or Russian -
then tell me please: can you type any Chinese character, Japanese character or Russian character by your keyboard? then you will judge that all the Chinese/Japanese/Russian IDNs was worthless for the reasons that they are not type-able ?

•••
Those are (most likely) type-able as some laptops come with such keyboards. But we're talking about weird symbols such as hearts and smileys here, which are not found on any keyboard.

•••
Those are (most likely) type-able as some laptops come with such keyboards. But we're talking about weird symbols such as hearts and smileys here, which are not found on any keyboard.

Yes,
But in fact, you can not find any keyboard that can type the Chinese character directly; and it is the 100% same meaning with the hearts and smiley symbols -
So, I think that it is the same meaning for a internet user using the punycode to typing a Chinese character and/or a smiley Symbol...

•••
•••
•••
Maiscule / Minuscule but same punycode

It´s strange, because the first in the list - ŋ.com - actually converts:
I think it´s a letter, not a symbol.
You need to use xn--2fa as punycode than go to the Verisign converter.

I´m not sure, but it seems is a maiscule / minuscule issue...

Others in the list in the same status:

δ.net (Δ.net) (They´ve the same punycode!)
ө.org (Ө.org) (they´ve the same punycode!)

So, I think probably it will not to be cancelled.

What do you think, guys?? Any thoughts?

Best regards!

•••
Recently (April 18th) Google acquired a symbol domain (even with IDNA2008):

˖.com (puny code: xn--dra.com)

Maybe it´s related to Google Plus.

Symbol in big size: ˖

So, perhaps this kind of domain isn´t that bad...

Regards.

•••
people tend to keep registering them in the hope one day they will be useful, there is a term for these, it is called "alt codes' ..... do your research

Last edited:
•••
•••
It´s strange, because the first in the list - ŋ.com - actually converts:
I think it´s a letter, not a symbol.
You need to use xn--2fa as punycode than go to the Verisign converter.

I´m not sure, but it seems is a maiscule / minuscule issue...

Others in the list in the same status:

δ.net (Δ.net) (They´ve the same punycode!)
ө.org (Ө.org) (they´ve the same punycode!)

So, I think probably it will not to be cancelled.

What do you think, guys?? Any thoughts?

Best regards!

Good eye, The first 3 in the list are actual characters in different languages. They are the uppercase form of the letter and as we all know domains are all lowercase so that is why they fail in the IDN conversion tool. These first 3 will probably be ok.

Ŋ.com or ŋ.com = Velar Nasal Strange character. Seems to be used in multiple languages. (I think)

Δ.net or δ.net = Greek Delta How many companies are called Delta? Delta Air Lines, Delta Faucets, Delta Hotels, Delta Power tools, Delta Electronics... etc. and these are just English companies. Will it be worth more to a Greek company? Perhaps, or maybe one of the English companies will buy it as a marketing tool. This one will probably be worth plenty at some point, even as a .net. Yes, Greeks can type this in.

Ө.org or ө.org = Oe Cyrillic This character is used in the alphabets of the Bashkir, Buryat, Kalmyk, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Mongolian and Yakut languages. I'm not very familiar with these languages so I can't really speculate on value.

The remaining names in the list:
▀.biz
.info
☼.com
☺.net
♀.org
These are all symbol domains and they will all be deleted at some point therefore they have no value.

•••
These symbols are definitely not the same thing as some languages' special characters. I too agree that these domains are useless and no one will ever want to buy them. Unless you make a small website, a social networking for those who know how to type that, for example, haha.

•••
Novelty items. But they just don't sell.

•••
Japanese and Chinese characters are typeable on any computer in those countries. Yes, it is usually done via roman letters, but every Chinese or Japanese person is very used to it. They wouldn't have a clue where to find these symbols on the other hand, or how to pronounce them even.

I don't see any value.

•••
Japanese and Chinese characters are typeable on any computer in those countries. Yes, it is usually done via roman letters, but every Chinese or Japanese person is very used to it. They wouldn't have a clue where to find these symbols on the other hand, or how to pronounce them even.

I don't see any value.

Yes, you better stay away from the symbol IDNs ~

•••
Novelty items. But they just don't sell.

I'm wonder - more and more people accept different language's IDNs, but why not included the symbol / dingbat IDNs? What is the difference between foreign language's character and symbol in those people's eyes?

•••
The difference is they do not appear on keybords and therefore are useless , true language idn's can be supported by local keybords

whilst some look cool ....if the user cannot just type it in then there is little to no value

•••
The difference is they do not appear on keybords and therefore are useless , true language idn's can be supported by local keybords

whilst some look cool ....if the user cannot just type it in then there is little to no value

In Japanese language, there have Hiragana (ひらがな), Kanji (漢字) & Katakana (かたかな) -
yes, you may type Hiragana & Katakana by Japanese keyboard, but can not type the most popular (most valuable) Kanji by their keyboard directly (as there don't have any Kanji key on the keyboard) -

I'm a native Chinese and I can tell you that there don't have any chinese character appear on our keyboard (either yours) -

then who likes to say that Chinese & Japanese (Kanji) IDNs was no value?

Last edited:
•••
In Japanese language, there have Hiragana (ひらがな), Kanji (漢字) & Katakana (かたかな) -
yes, you may type Hiragana & Katakana by Japanese keyboard, but can not type the most popular (most valuable) Kanji by their keyboard directly (as there don't have any Kanji key on the keyboard) -

I'm a native Chinese and I can tell you that there don't have any chinese character appear on our keyboard (either yours) -

then who likes to say that Chinese & Japanese (Kanji) IDNs was no value?

There is a conversion key but i am not going to argue with you as i simply go over to IDNF/com when seeking better confirmation

スペース.jp
ライス.jp
テクノロジー.jp

処方.com

Are a few of my japanese idn's

However the thread is about ALT CODES

•••
スペース.jp
ライス.jp
テクノロジー.jp

処方.com

For the domain names you list above;
I believe that you may easily to type (by a Japanese keyboard):
スペース.jp
ライス.jp
テクノロジー.jp

but not the - 処方.com

In fact, all these 4 domain names has its own value -
I won't say that '処方.com' has no value for the reason as it can not type directly from a keyboard

•••
You can easy switch to Russian or any other keyboard, but I don't know such a symbol language keyboard...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back