Dynadot

UDRP shopify.ai

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Igor Gabrielan

.ai .mv .botTop Member
Impact
Today the company Shopify started a dispute with me regarding the name shopify.ai .
I have many excellent arguments, which I will describe later.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I’ve been trying to find out if there is a broader rule for which words can take -ify and found one definition that it works with “some” words.

One thing about English is that it does not come directly from one ancestor language. English has Latin, Greek, Old French and Germanic words, and sometimes you can only do some things to one of those. It turns out that -ify is used on some Latin origin words. “Shop” is a Germanic origin word. One could use the Latin origin “emporium” instead, but emporify is still not a word.

•••
The representative of the company greatly underestimates the imagination of domainers.
There's no imagination or creativity here, you're trying to capitalize on their brand by registering it in an underused TLD. I don't think anyone here's going to support your decision in this, because it's making us all look bad.

I am sure that the domainers 'invented' this word before the company Shopify.
It doesn't matter, because Shopify was the first to trademark it.

•••
There's no imagination or creativity here, you're trying to capitalize on their brand by registering it in an underused TLD. I don't think anyone here's going to support your decision in this, because it's making us all look bad.

It doesn't matter, because Shopify was the first to trademark it.
‘Capitalize’

•••
‘Capitalize’
cap·it·al·ize
[ˈkapɪt(ə)lʌɪz]

VERB
  1. (CAPITALIZE ON)
    take the chance to gain advantage from:
    "do they have what it takes to capitalize on this emerging opportunity?"

•••
Yes, I do not know English well, because I studied German. And now I have forgotten German. So, because of not knowing English, I first registered the name robotiks.ai, and only then corrected myself, registered and sold robotics.ai. But now robotiks.ai is also registered by someone. I believe that the mighty word-forming power of domainers (possibly from non-English speaking countries that do not take into account the foundations of the English language) should be taken into account as an objective and legal fact, now this is not taken into account properly.
And how many words with the root "store" are now registered, including "storify".
It's funny that these days, when there was a dispute about it, some strange spammers began to come to me with offers to open a store in shopify. Before that, they never existed. Although this is probably due to the fact that I googled the word "shopify".

Last edited:
•••
And in Anguilla, scammers who open fraudulent crypto companies are banned, although yes, they respect the rules of the UDPR too. The administrator of Anguilla gave the name to the chisel-makers at my request. I'm not particularly worried about bureaucrats, if they want, let them pretend to work, they must eat something.

•••
When I showed a photo of a lawyer acting against me to a friend, she said that he looked much more like a thief than I do. I will not post his photo here, so as not to advertise. Although he still did his little work.

Last edited:
•••
Now they offered $4,150 me for copyright.ai , but I'm so angry at the bureaucrats that I probably won't sell it. I need to increase prices to account for the hype around AI.

•••
It's funny that I sold the name ip.ai (although after the resale it is not used in this sense) and now I have intellectualproperty.ai and copyright.ai . And yet bureaucrats and chimney-makers dare to accuse me of infringing intellectual property!

Last edited:
•••
When I showed a photo of a lawyer acting against me to a friend, she said that he looked much more like a thief than I do
I would definitely open any defense with that statement. Don't forget to also question his heritage and his domicile status. That should make it an easy win

Last edited:
•••
I would definitely open any defense with that statement. Don't forget to also question his heritage and his domicile status. That should make it an easy win
You are joking, but I am sure that you would be the first to hide your wallet away at the sight of him.

Last edited:
•••
These lawyers can defend a wealthy company for thirty pieces of silver, but they cannot defend the rights of a California pensioner robbed by another bourgeois company.

•••
The classics of Marxism-Leninism were right when they spoke of the immoral essence of the capitalist system. One bourgeois company has been robbing ordinary people from all over the world for half a year, and neither the American authorities nor the lawyers are doing anything to stop the robbery. But as soon as there was a hint of a possible harm to a rich company, a whole pack of mongrels, lawyers and bureaucrats rushed to their defense.

Last edited:
•••
That's a bit Rich - given we all here to profit from domains

•••
I’ve been trying to find out if there is a broader rule for which words can take -ify and found one definition that it works with “some” words.

One thing about English is that it does not come directly from one ancestor language. English has Latin, Greek, Old French and Germanic words, and sometimes you can only do some things to one of those. It turns out that -ify is used on some Latin origin words. “Shop” is a Germanic origin word. One could use the Latin origin “emporium” instead, but emporify is still not a word.
"Shopify" looks just like "Shopify"...smile, so for me, i'm not iffy on ify. My perception is that for most domain investors, any use of an "ify" gives other "ify"s seemingly more value/recognition. So shopify gives bookify more value and bookify gives shopify more value. Any trademarks on a specific "ify" can remove value for that "ify" because it removes possible goods and services that can be offered under the "ify"

I would like to know from your experience and knowledge of USPTO: Can you think of a good or service that someone could label as "Shopify" and not infringe on a current "Shopify" trademark?

I would think there would be, otherwise under Goods and Services in the trademark it would list: "Anything and Everything"

Thank you for your input!

•••
The classics of Marxism-Leninism were right when they spoke of the immoral essence of the capitalist system. One bourgeois company has been robbing ordinary people from all over the world for half a year, and neither the American authorities nor the lawyers are doing anything to stop the robbery. But as soon as there was a hint of a possible harm to a rich company, a whole pack of mongrels, lawyers and bureaucrats rushed to their defense.

Dude... you registered the domain hoping someone would buy it. Too bad for you, your only customer has a full time legal staff.

•••
Dude... you registered the domain hoping someone would buy it. Too bad for you, your only customer has a full time legal staff.
These were not his legal staff, these were third-party lawyers, mutts ready to serve whoever threw them a fatter bone.

•••
The classics of Marxism-Leninism were right when they spoke of the immoral essence of the capitalist system.

They were just upset no one wanted to buy their domains.

•••
They were just upset no one wanted to buy their domains.
If they then began to invest in domains, they themselves would become big bourgeois.

•••
It's not hard to understand that (ify) being added at the end of any word mean to convert into it's prefix.
In this case Shopify means to convert into a shop, Godify would mean to convert into a God someone by worshipping him, it also could mean to strengthen something which in any cases is the prefix dictionary word.
IMO
edit: also most of you forget that monopoly is not good, it's like Shopify is some kind of God and only they have right to use it, I m sure not only they came with this idea, maybe someone wants to Shopify his clothes in Zimbabwe, what now pray to Shopify?

Last edited:
•••
If it had not been a Canadian commission, and it had not been blinded and engaged by the Shopify's money, there would have been an honest dispute, besides, I had free time, I have no doubt that I would have defeated a pack of mongrels myself.

Last edited:
•••
If the dispute still takes place, and despite the money, influence, and Canadian connections of Shopify, I win the dispute, the administrator of Anguilla will return my name. I am sure that now Shopify itself will not want a dispute, since even though it has hired a bunch of mutts, it feels its wrong and will do its best to avoid a dispute.
Let them drown in this wrongly obtained name.

Last edited:
•••
If something post updates, I will make sure to harm their reputation, cause I hate how all this s*** websites copy my round corners designs.

•••
So I challenge Shopify.
Will they decide on an honest dispute in a neutral country, and not in Canada?
So that their CEO came to an honest dispute, without a bunch of corrupt lawyers and bureaucrats?
If not, then, as Marsk wrote, these are bourgeois trembling for their skin.

Last edited:
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back