IT.COM

Share your skillful negotiation stories

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I thought this could be a good thread for beginners to learn some good negotiation skills when selling domains.

Let's hear how you negotiated successfully when selling your domains to retail buyers.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It might be very interesting to hear some of the war stories.

I have always found that the key to successfully negotiating is the ability to listen and never have your position cast in stone.

Of course unless you are dealing with someone who knows the value of a quality name, you usually have to spend some time explaining why the name you are selling is worth XXXX dollars.

It never ceases to amaze me how many experienced online business people have NO clue how much a high quality domain
is worth in the terms of ROI

•••
these lines are great :lol:

:
I was developing this project and suddenly something else came up so I am selling this domain.

I have many good offers but I though the domain is most suitable for you so I am offering you the first choice to buy it.

Spring cleaning my closet.....going cheap.....$ 50 each. Ok prices slashed......$40 each........buy one and get another free. Hello anyone interested ? Ok this is your last chance before I withdraw.......$5 each or $50 for the whole lot.

•••
Lol yeah, I don't know much, but what I do know (from having things attempted to be sold to me) is that you need to listen to the potential customer, hear some of what they want to say, so that you get them onto your side, to negotiate, instead of battling to find a price that you both agree to.

•••
"Negotiations for beginners" IMHO:
Once you've procured your list of potential "leads" (via Google, what have you), and have a good sense of the domain's value (from the Appraisal's), it's then time to customize and fine-tune your own personal "marketing letter" (see examples in this Forum).
Wait for a response! Listen/comprehend as to what is being addressed in that response. Is it primarily focused on the potential cost (in which case, the sale has been made ... if you're willing to be "reasonable"). Or, are they mildly interested, but can't seem to understand WHY it could be useful/advantageous for their entity (in which case, the sale might still be made ... if you can openly and honestly display your Google/OVT results, etc). Or, are they irritated, and can't understand why you even contacted them (in which case, sale may still be made ... if you address the potential needs of the recipient and clearly EXPLAIN your reasoning for contacting them in the first place).
Put yourself in the e-mail recipient's shoes when sending your letters. Be polite, open, and professional ... don't waste their time by not "pre-qualifying" the domain yourself for their suitability. If you're asked WHY you contacted them ... be sure to be ready with an answer not full of bologna.
FYI: NOT all domains can be sold! MOST domains likely will not be sold. MANY are sold each and every day ... and the basis for your negotiations will always be your confidence in the domain for your intedended list of leads.
PS. Asking for ridiculous (ie., unreasonable) prices is a sure fire way NOT to make sales! IMHO.
* These are general principles of negotiations that I happen to believe in, and over time have proven successful for me, as well as others that I know. Results will vary.
Good Luck with your marketing efforts, and domain negotiations.
B-)

•••
Great advice CH!
Thanks, very helpful, as always! :)

•••
•••
Originally posted by NameCaster
Nice post CH :)

:blush:

Thanks, and Good Luck everyone with your marketing efforts! :)

•••
I just used this thread to make my letter to some of the leads I had for selling a domain... I hope it goes well :D *crosses fingers*

•••
Originally posted by wicked_gal00
I just used this thread to make my letter to some of the leads I had for selling a domain... I hope it goes well :D *crosses fingers*

Bingo!
I hope it goes well, too Gal. Truly. :)

:talk:

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back