Gnags

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys.

Can you help me appraise Settl.com.
What end user price would you suggest?

Thank you

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It lacks the vowel ; )
IMHO, Nothing more than reg. fee.
If you have an offer more than that on NP, kindly consider yourselves lucky.

•••
Thank you.
Several companies brands themselves settl, so i appriciate if you do a bit of research before you share your thoughts. This i can not really take serious.

But thanks anyway

•••
This is a good one. I have a couple similar domains, decent words without the final 'e'. Companies like to brand these. (Mine are Middl.com and Boodl.com, so I think I'm qualified to speak a few words about yours.)

'Settl' is taken in 44 extensions, according to DotDB. (In comparison, my 'Middl' is taken in 43; pretty close.) Many of those extensions are developed websites. And there are a handful of active trademarks with 'settl'. So it's obviously an attractive almost-word.

The uses seem to be mainly habitation related; real estate, living situations, rentals, based on the 'getting settled' or 'settling down' uses of Settle. It can also be used in mediation ('settling disputes') and financial and even law. So it's very versatile and it's easy to find uses.

There are pros and cons; pros are that it's a shortening of a very versatile word, useable in many different areas, and it would also be a cheaper alternative to a person or company who could not afford a premium word like Settle.com (which is a well developed website for a financial service, so is not for sale anyway). Cons would be that it confuses the 'radio test', so during marketing whoever uses your domain would have to constantly tell people "It's without the final 'e'!" Plus they'd have to be careful to not use the domain in the same ways as the trademark holders for 'settl', as well as the trademark holders for 'settle', because it could be construed as typosquatting for the complete word. And with so many businesses and TM holders using both 'settl' and 'settle', you of course have to be very careful who you email, if you do outbound for it. So you mostly have to just list it for sale and twiddle your thumbs while waiting for an inbound buyer to come along.

Resellers like these (at least, you and I do), but they're not easy to sell, so we don't pay a huge amount for domains like this; I expect it would go for anywhere in the 500 - 2.5K range if it were in a good expired domain auction like GD or Dropcatch. My two domains that I mentioned above have each received a few offers in that range over the years (through Afternic landers and before that through Efty landers) (Boodl at the low end, Middl at the high end), but I am holding out for a good end user offer.

I think an end user would pay anywhere in the 5K - 35K range for yours. Higher range is only if you find a 'unicorn', the perfect buyer with deep pockets who absolutely must have this domain. Lower end seems more realistic in today's market.

It is a good one. Good luck!

:)

Last edited:
•••
Hi Bannen.
I really appriciate your analysis you provide on this domain name!
Similar aspects of pros and cons i have in mind, and interesting and valuable for me to get another opinion from an investor with experience.
The word settle is that versatile, as you mention, i was willing to pay a premium at GD auction for it ( see namebio).
Thank you for your insights.
Best of luck with your nice brandables :)

Best,
Thomas

•••
Yes that's a premium price, but still reasonable for a reseller. I'd call it high reseller - to - low end user price. Hope you can profit well on it.

p.s. I paid $59 for each of mine; but that was quite a few years ago when you could still get some very good domains at basic Dropcatch fee. Nowadays each of mine would be backordered and bid on by many people if they drop.

However, I do consider yours to be a better name than both of mine. Yours has more clear uses and clear potential buyers!

•••
I like it
it has immediate connotations when you read the domain. The only problem is the radio test with that dropped E. Personally I've not been able to sell similar domains above $3,000 mostly a lot less and brandable domains have always been my direction for 25 years. Better to focus on two short dictionary word pairings. The more versatile the better

Last edited:
•••
$99 to $459 = Reseller Value Speculation (NOT an end user speculation)

•••
It lacks the vowel ; )
IMHO, Nothing more than reg. fee.
If you have an offer more than that on NP, kindly consider yourselves lucky.
Hmmm sounds like a problem for Vanna White.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back