Dynadot

SEO Tips for Affiliate Sites

NameSilo
Watch
Came across this in my news feeds this morning - good, solid advice that will help you weather Panda and other algo changes.

http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2143672/How-Affiliate-Sites-Can-Best-Exploit-SEO

Short version (if you're too lazy to read)

1)Don't pick an overly competitive niche.
2)Ditto for the keywords you target. If there are dozens of companies with huge marketing budgets competing for a keyword it's probably a poor choice for you to attempt.
3)Create good, relevant content to SUPPORT the affiliate programs you're promoting. The more unique and interesting it is, the better.
4)Promote it, but do so the right way. Don't waste your time or money on thousands of poor-quality links.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Great advice. Thanks for the summary!

•••
When we talk about overly competitive niche I think of e-marketing and the health/fitness niche.

There is no way that a newbie can get through this niche as they don't have enough experience. Always provide quality on whatever you do on your campaigns and you will expect good returns.

Zidane

•••
I've heard over optimized sites will be Google's next target

•••
•••
There is another thread on that in Industry News - I replied with a link to the transcript of the entire discussion, in case anyone wants to read it in context..

There's no talk about targeting affiliate sites in particular. Essentially, what Matt said is that quality sites shouldn't lose out in search rankings to lower quality sites which have used overly-aggressive SEO tactics to stomp all over them. He also mentions that sites using white-hat tactics would not likely be affected.

"Build sites for visitors, not for search engines"

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for the tips but also consider the market of your affiliates.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back