IT.COM

question Selling a .COM to someone who already has the .CO.UK

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Does anybody have any experience of selling a 'brand' .COM to a nascent UK business already using the .CO.UK ccTLD please?

The domain's WHOIS is fully private, yet I have received a 'For Sale?' enquiry via PrivacyGuardian.org, so I guess the enquirer is quite keen - and they have further expressed their interest by using an email from the .CO.UK.

As I only acquired the domain a few months ago, I hadn't actually decided what to do with it, let alone how and to whom to market it. But I would be perfectly happy to sell it!!!

I'm interested on your thoughts on how to approach a sale like this, in the knowledge that my .COM would be a perfect and aspirational fit for their business etc.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I had a phone call some years ago about a .com I owned. The guy's first statements was "How much do you want for xxxxxbits.com?" The xxxxx is a generic product word. He caught me on the hop a bit, and I didn't think the name was that good, so I replied £250. His reply was " Where do I send the cheque?". It was only after the transfer that I discovered he used to co.uk for his business, and he was expanding into international sales. His business is still doing well, and I'm sure that having the .com and the .co.uk has helped him. I thought about this afterwards, and it was clear that he would have paid a bit more for the name. How much is the question. Also, he was probably the only buyer for the name.

I don't really have any regrets, £250 for a hand reg that was only a few months old is a reasonable return by the standards of most industries.

•••
Do some research and find out how big and/or profitable the buyer is. Adjust your price according to the pockets of the buyer. Also see if there are any other businesses using this same company name. More potential buyers to contact regarding the sale of your domain. The more companies using this name, the more valuable. Since they contacted you first, they obviously want the domain name badly. The fact that you bought it just a few months ago does not reduce the value of the domain name. It sounds like you will get a very good price.

•••
Well seeing the original post is almost a month old
I have to ask how did it go ??

being UK based myself, I'm pretty familiar with the ups-and-downs of our perception on the cctlds and gtld markets

Last edited:
•••
You can consider the below option as well.

You can forward the inquiry to Uniregistry brokers and they'll do rest of things if you ready to pay 15% of commission!

FYI: They have recently closed a deal for one of my domains!

•••
Sadly, despite a professional reply from me two weeks ago, I have not heard a word since!

I believe the name is strong and would sell well as a stand-alone .com anyway, so I am not going to pursue the UK enquiry at the moment. They know where I am if they want it!

Thanks for your interest and replies.

•••
Sadly, despite a professional reply from me two weeks ago, I have not heard a word since!

I believe the name is strong and would sell well as a stand-alone .com anyway, so I am not going to pursue the UK enquiry at the moment. They know where I am if they want it!

Thanks for your interest and replies.

I knew this would happen even before you made this post. I don't go near UK folks even if I see a domain name that will benefit them if they already own .co.uk. Their perception about this things is just the opposite of what we know.

Americans are still the best in the world to deal with.

•••
Sadly, the Brits don't particularly value the .com unless they are an Internationally trading company or solely an Internet online focused business. Like most Countries with a very well established Country code (ccld) the .com is seen as purely an Internet entity and the .co.uk a more overall identity for a "Bricks and Mortar" business. with an internet presence, and the same is certainly true for most of the European Countries. If you asked them if they would like the .com, the answer would certainly be yes but, if you asked if they are prepared to pay a Premium to own it most would just say "It isn't important to their business"

The exception is probably for a well financed (very expensive) online promotion campaign

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back