IT.COM

question Seller not transferring the domain bought on Dan.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

madj

Impact
I made a purchase on dan.com using Lease To Own option and its been over a week but the seller wouldn't transfer the domain by submitting the auth code to dan.com. What are my options in this case? Does dan.com help?

Is the transaction legally binding on the seller?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Contact Dan chat support its the best option

•••
They send canned responses. It's unhelpful.

I would like to know if Dan.com holds the person legally responsible to transfer the domain name?

•••
Not really. Chances are the person listed it by mistake or no longer owns it, or maybe just someone listing a stuff they don’t own. I think it is unlikely that the seller actually owns the domain name but just decided they don’t want to sell it now.

This happens all the time, there isn’t much you can really do, just ask Dan to refund your money and better luck next time.

•••
The story makes no sense. When I sold one domain via lease to own, Dan had me push the name to them right from the start. This is the whole point of escrow.

•••
If you did "Lease to Own" you do NOT control the domain itself, until you have fully paid for it.
You should be allowed to USE the domain for your benefit (within the terms of service you agreed to), but you do NOT control the domain itself.

•••
Dan does require the original seller push the domain to them right away and until all of the Lease To Own payments are made, the domain remains with Dan. But, my question is, what happens in case the seller never pushes the domain to Dan? What are the steps Dan usually takes / can take. I would think they might block the sellers account. But, beyond that?

•••
Dan does require the original seller push the domain to them right away and until all of the Lease To Own payments are made, the domain remains with Dan. But, my question is, what happens in case the seller never pushes the domain to Dan? What are the steps Dan usually takes / can take. I would think they might block the sellers account. But, beyond that?
What happens if someone pays dan for a name and then the seller never transfers it (not lease to own)? This happens on all platforms. The sale falls apart and buyer get's their money back.

What happens when people make an offer and you accept and they never buy? This happens all the time, does Dan start a legal process? I know they try to reach the person even by phone but that's it.

•••
I made a purchase on dan.com using Lease To Own option and its been over a week but the seller wouldn't transfer the domain by submitting the auth code to dan.com. What are my options in this case? Does dan.com help?

Is the transaction legally binding on the seller?

I'd recommend going through Dan's support - I know you mentioned that you have used the chat feature, but there is an alternative method of contact that could be useful: https://dan.com/contact#contact-form

•••
I had multiple times people used Buy It Now on my domains on Dan and after countless sleepless nights, I stopped using Dan.

•••
They hold your money until the seller pushes. If its really been a week you should expect a refund.

You must be the only person alive who gets canned responses from DAN. They are very attentive. Have you verified that they have the domain? Its them you need to contact.

•••
It sounds like an old listing. I’d just move along and forget it.

•••
It sounds like an old listing. I’d just move along and forget it.
You may move forward but if you lost sleep you will not forget.

•••
I personally have also had terrible experiences with Dan's support team.

They have their European team handling US inquiries so you have to wake up early in the US to get that team on the phone & can't get anything done on Fridays.

When you wake up early to call or chat they refuse to transfer you to their payment verification or transfer team, and you are unable to contact any team members who can actually assist with transferring your domain via live chat or email.

High fees and garbage support

•••
It happens time to time. Get refund and go back searching for new names.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back