Dynadot

Selecting website colors

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Creating a website to showcase my brandable domains. Need help to decide which colors to go with: Gold or B/W? What do you guys think?

bV0NSnU.png

wVUHj9Q.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
IMO the gold option is the more viable option.

The gold appears as more dynamic and forward looking than the b/w.

Though you didn't ask I'll suggest a sharper delineation of the fonts, make 'em stand out just a bit more from the background!

Best wishes on your project!

•••
I agree with WatchDogue.
The gold option is warmer, more inviting. Just bring out the text a bit more because the white on the gold.... It hurts more than it is clear to read, for my eyes.

•••
Really love the colored version. It's elegant and looks great.

•••
@kingof.top Thanks v.much for your suggestion and efforts. But I think there has to be some margin on both sides of the tiles. And at the moment I don't have too many names, so I think I'll stay with the current design. Again, Thanks v.much for your suggestion and efforts.

@Doyosi Implemented. Thanks v.much for the suggestion and instructions. I think it looks neater on mobile now. I also added some margin to the sides of the tiles. Thanks v.much again.

Last edited:
•••
I prefer the black and white

•••
Our eyes are made to see color. Why throw that away?

The current trend toward lower contrast makes many sites almost impossible for me to read.

•••
Thanks v.much for your valuable inputs @WatchDogue, @mhdoc, @Alvaron

I think I will go with the gold option.

I'll keep the stuff in mind about delineating the fonts from the background. Experimenting with it the colors for the time being. Inverted the text colors (white to black) on the Gold thing.

JaIz6kB.png

•••
•••
As an alternative, consider a blue hue transparency. My own website has a very simple blue background for the title with my domain names in black text on a white background. Very effective, and looks good on mobile platforms.

In addition, I'm not a fan of background images because I feel it detracts from the product or service you are trying to sell. Too many background parts makes reading text a chore as the eyes have to constantly adjust to depth. Very tiring. Totally unnecessary IMHO. Keep it simple.

However, for me, the gold background does not provide a favorable user experience due to the merging of the dark background objects with the dark domain name boxes. Remember, dark shadowy colors have ominous overtones at first glance.

Finally, if you only want to choose between gold or silver, I suggest going with the silver background with the recommendation to whiten the fonts more to make them stand out. The domain names need to pop out and get a visitor's attention.

•••
Thanks v.much for your valuable inputs @WatchDogue, @mhdoc, @Alvaron

I think I will go with the gold option.

I'll keep the stuff in mind about delineating the fonts from the background. Experimenting with it the colors for the time being. Inverted the text colors (white to black) on the Gold thing.

JaIz6kB.png

Good option, looking great.

•••
Thanks v.much for your valuable opinions @DomainWildcatter & @DNScholar, especially @DomainWildcatter for the detailed inputs.I will keep them in mind while finalizing a design.

Here's the latest iteration, still gold (but more coffee). I have diffused the background a little, and made the boxes and names stand out more:

9xgHsbE.png

•••
Thanks v.much for your valuable opinions @DomainWildcatter & @DNScholar, especially @DomainWildcatter for the detailed inputs.I will keep them in mind while finalizing a design.

Here's the latest iteration, still gold (but more coffee). I have diffused the background a little, and made the boxes and names stand out more:

9xgHsbE.png

Very, very nice! :D

•••
Thanks :) The site is live now... though only a two page site... but I will be refining the design and adding more functions when I get some time...

Last edited:
•••
Gold is much more warm and inviting in the design.

•••
I like the gold one better. There is one thing I like about the second one and that is the lady's hands makes it more personal, like gives it a human touch? Maybe if you could layer transparent golden color over that pic.

•••
•••
Personally, I would have gone for the first version (top of initial post) but I would have made the color slightly less saturated.

•••
Whole coloring perfect, but I would recommend to make a full width stripe with the domain names (rectangles) instead of the current center placed 'isle'.

But that's just my own design - opinion.

•••
It looks good, but for mobile browsing try to make your links' style width 100%. I think it will be better for mobile.

•••
@kingof.top
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean the rectangle should be wider and each occupy the full width of the site? Or do you mean that the domain names should occupy the full width of the rectangle? I'm assuming the later.

I made a 'visual version' of what's in my mind - if you have many domains, you should make a (mouseover) moving (left / right) 100 & width 'infinity' (looping domains) stripe in my opinion:

design example.png

Just a suggestion, you will find the perfect design.

Last edited:
•••
I mean that; (look attachment)

simple way to do this add your css
Code:
@media(max-width:600px) {
    .btn-lg {
        display:block!important;
    }
}

Attachments

• ss.png
    ss.png
    605.4 KB · Views: 45
•••
Dont mention it. And one more suggestion don't use space between your brand's chars like "E L I T E V U E" add css letter-spacing: 1-2-3... and remove spaces for seo.

Maybe you want to use this plug-in for fitting text; http://fittextjs.com/

•••
Attaching image of the final site. I'll be commissioning a proper logo soon. Thanks v.much to all of you for your opinions and help, especially @Doyosi for specific instructions.

IHF67Qr.png

•••
That looks gr8 for both desktop & mobile now.
Congratulations :)

•••
Looks lovely, one note, I have looked at your site a few times and just now was the first time I noticed the "Home/Inquiry" header. I wonder if it might be better to make that static and more prominent and/or put a "Contact Now!" button on each domain names popup that will take people direct to the inquiry page.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back