Dynadot

debate Sedo suggests doing something illegal

NameSilo
Watch

LadyD

Impact
I have a company with domain names. One of my domains was sold on Sedo, but the buyer provided an invalid address for the invoice. Buyer provided only a street name, making the address invalid. His full name does not exist in LinkedIn, Facebook or any other place online. It could be that the buyer has a very unique name, but together with the invalid address it was strange. According to tax laws in my country, for everything I sell I have to create an invoice and that invoice has to have a valid address for the buyer.

Using the transfer center I informed Sedo several times that the buyer has an invalid address and by my countries tax law my company has to create an invoice to a valid address. Sedo ignored my message and never fixed the issue. They could have asked the buyer for a valid address. I asked it several times, but Sedo did not look into it.

Then Sedo canceled the transfer and expects me to pay the fee. They suggest that I should have made the sale and kept it out of the books. That would be illegal as I would be avoiding taxes! In a court of law they have no chance, but I am still surprised that a Sedo suggests doing things illegally.

Not only did Sedos lack of professionalism cost me a sale of a domain name, but now they want a fee.

Anyone else have this experience?
Any good alternatives to Sedo, so I can start selling my domains there?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can also try Uniregistry and Afternic

If you own a company though, wouldn't it be better if you set up a sales website and handle everything yourself? You'll save the exorbitant fees and you'll also apply your professionalism in the sale.

•••
Don't Sedo themselves require a full address from the buyer?
I'd have thought they would have something in place where if the buyer doesn't provide a full valid address then the sale is 'on hold' until they do.

Last edited:
•••
Why not just dedicate a domain to a website and list your domains there?
I've not only created my domain portfolio, landing pages, but also developed advanced software to do this.
It's very simple to do. I can help if necessary. Just PM.

•••
If they insist on collecting that fee, I'd be interested in having a chat with their general counsel.

•••
now they want a fee.
Is it an 'admin fee' or are they demanding the full commission?
In any case, I think I'd be inclined to move my domains to another marketplace and tell Sedo where to go!
Any good alternatives to Sedo, so I can start selling my domains there?
Have a look at Afternic.com

•••
•••
Back