IT.COM

Sedo - Most useless platform?

NameSilo
Watch
I believe Sedo is the most useless platform of all.

Some of you may disagree and feel free to share your experience below, but from my experience, Sedo has been utterly useless. It has long relied on its well-established brand and the luxury of being one of the first players in the game. Since then, it has done nothing to improve user or buyer experience. They have not found ways to innovate their platform, attract new buyers, and have solely relied on type-in traffic.

In over 10 years of using Sedo, I can count all the offers and sales on one hand. Most of the arguments for Sedo are "they are popular with oversea buyers". Sedo may sell more names to european buyers because they allow extensions such as .de, and have translated versions of the site for buyers for other countries. That's about it. But Sedo has (insert number of partners)! Does that result in many sales for an average seller? Nope.

Sedo currently charges 10% commission for parked domains, 15% for marketplace listings, and 20% for MLS sales. For that comission, they do absolutely nothing.

What I can give them credit for, is for negotiations of inbound offers. But when you get one offer per 5 years, does that really benefit us? Are other marketplaces worse at negotiations? I don't think so.

You may say, well who cares, it's an additional marketplace to list your names on. So why not? Because even their submission process is a headache. Each name has to be manually verified through forwarding or txt record. It doesn't work all the time and takes way too long.

But that's my personal experience. For those of you who park their names at Sedo, why? How has your experience been?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If Sedo disappeared tomorrow, I would not miss them. I do make a few sales there each year, but they are a pain in the ass with verification when submitting. Sometimes a name gets stuck when verifying and wont verify and you cant delete it to try again. Sometimes if a name is already listed, they will not respond to requests to delete.
I do list everything there even though they are also on DAN and Afternic, but only because I *MIGHT* make a rare sale.

•••
Hi

how many times has NP changed it's "face" and now "chat room" is gone?
and what about Afternic and Godaddy?

how many times has bodis changed it's face or parking crew.

voodoo's face is gone, namedrives face is gone and so is domainsponsors' face

and where is goldkey's face or Parked.com's face?

lot of faces aren't around anymore, especially those that used to be here on this forum.

there are many new faces, but how many new ideas get to be new faces on the internet?

been using sedo since 2004 and glad it's still has a face that smiles at my domains.

who's smiling at yours?

imo....

Last edited:
•••
I don’t really care about commission as long as the name is sold.
Btw, why are you keep posting all the negative topics? Nothing is good i your life?
Stop your moaning on every thread and hiding behind fake stock photos. Try to contribute something to the forums instead of criticizing anyone that posts a thread.

Also, "we sell name" is not proper English.

Last edited:
•••
I think competition will naturally force them to reduce their fees or adjust their business model. I don't see a reason to pick a Sedo landing page over Dan at this point in time.
Hi

so, have you sold any domains on Dan?
if so, then just move your names there and be done with it.

no need to throw rocks at one platform, when you got choices.

imo...

•••
Hi

so, have you sold any domains on Dan?
if so, then just move your names there and be done with it.

no need to throw rocks at one platform, when you got choices.

imo...
First, most of the change in the world comes when people talk, point out, criticize, and discuss things. Even in the domaining world. Second, these are domain forums. A place to vent, discuss, criticize, make suggestions, etc. That's the whole point of this site, aside from buying/selling.

•••
I just took this screenshot for replying to twiki on another thread so I might as well share here as well.

Those my sedo sale last couple months mostly via MLS, including namesilo, ovh, namecheap and even some domain search platform called Instant Domain Search. lol

Screenshot 2022-07-11 at 4.48.55 PM.png

•••
If Sedo disappeared tomorrow, I would not miss them. I do make a few sales there each year, but they are a pain in the ass with verification when submitting. Sometimes a name gets stuck when verifying and wont verify and you cant delete it to try again. Sometimes if a name is already listed, they will not respond to requests to delete.
I do list everything there even though they are also on DAN and Afternic, but only because I *MIGHT* make a rare sale.

Sedo's txt verification works perfectly for those who know how DNS works.
you must add txt record BEFORE adding the domain to Sedo. If you do so, it will take only a few seconds or minutes to see your domains in your Sedo account.

The real pain is at Afternic verification. I have domains which I can't add to Afternic for years!

Last edited:
•••
I always liked the sedo marketplace (I mean, the overview, when you search for a domain).

Neither DAN nore afternic offer such a detailed / clear overview, in my opinion.
(although traffic nr's only work, when you use sedo NS)

c.PNG

I only sold one domain over sedo.

What I particuarly dislike about sedo, is the not customizable landing page (when it comes to design).

I like the stats, like traffic etc being presented to pot. buyers.

But the design is from the 00-10.

Also the user-interface (domain management) & function feels a bit old...

Last edited:
•••
Despite all the criticism, we all know that sedo is a great marketplace regarding end-users.

Ain't this the real reason many to list their names there?

afternic on the other hand, is foremost sort of a reseller or domainer platform at 1st sight.

(and dan might be inbetween...)

I think results are the only thing that matter. So what would make it a great marketplace for end users? Or sellers? More sales. I don't think an average seller on Sedo is getting their money's worth. Sedo is charging big commissions but they don't have anything to show for it.

Last edited:
•••
I have sold relatively many names on Sedo. Nothing has sold on Dan. Only annoying low balls come from Dan.
But of course, Sedo has many shortcomings.
Their auctions are horrendously inefficient.
And lately, they seem to have been touched by the general crisis of capitalism predicted by Marx.
I had a personal manager there, he recently resigned, and a new personal manager was not assigned to me.
The payment was delayed by a week compared to their rules, that is, it happened after two week, they said that this was an accounting error.
Now they cannot do an external escrow transfer for two days. They advise you to endure it.
They can also be trolled when pranksters offer large sums and do not pay them.

Last edited:
•••
they get low sales nowadays ..
they should reduce the fees to 8% to compete dan.com ..
our landing pages goes to dan.com today regards the low fees ..

•••
Sedo has always come through for me. So my experience has been positive. I don't sell many domains there.

It's odd someone judges a platform as a whole based on their personal results, or lack of thereof. Results are only part of the picture.

Last edited:
•••
I sell domain monthly at SEDO..

I check my domains.. daily views, and if no views I will change the price...

You continue to change the price of your domains for you to make sale..

If you list homeboy.com at sedo at buy it now ..may be 25k..

The next day if there is no views ..you adjust your price to 20k or so

You keep on going up and down ..to make sale..

This method is for those that want quick sale..

Is working for me..

But your domain shouldn't be hand registered..

The method is for premium domains only...solid two words. Primium four letters,one word domains

Is working..check if buyers are viewing your domain..

No views means over priced domain..

3,4,5figs domains..

I like to buy today and sell tomorrow..

If you can wait for a long time and you are very very rich.. this method is not for you..

This is for buy today and sell tomorrow.

Best.

Last edited:
•••
Sedo currently charges 10% commission for parked domains, 15% for marketplace listings, and 20% for MLS sales. For that comission, they do absolutely nothing.
Generally sedo charges 15% commission ( parked or unparked ) ... 🤐 ( Rarest 10% ...... If any lucky)
and MLS always 20%

Last edited:
•••
I don’t really care about commission as long as the name is sold.
Btw, why are you keep posting all the negative topics? Nothing is good i your life?

•••
@william I totally agree, SEDO is utterly useless. Interface is like from 1997 (probably it is), constant bugs when attaching domains, slow and inefficient customer service. But all this wouldn't matter if they were selling. THEY ARE NOT.

I don't know, maybe they are doing better with ''.de'', since they are Germans originally, but their efficiency for the rest of the extensions - zero in cube.
Lol, it's like they changed their template design on the outside, but the rest of the platform is a old storeroom full of cobwebs. I get a random sale maybe once every 5 years haha

•••
First, most of the change in the world comes when people talk, point out, criticize, and discuss things. Even in the domaining world. Second, these are domain forums. A place to vent, discuss, criticize, make suggestions, etc. That's the whole point of this site, aside from buying/selling.
Hi

i asked, if you sold any names on Dan, and you didn't answer the question.

if, you want to have discussion, then you should be forthright in your responses

don't stick your head in the sand, when something is raised that you don't want to address.

imo...

•••
An addition which is great I think, is the fast transfer mechanism at afternic. Maybe they could add this too.

Sedo has fast transfer for a long time.
Godaddy is not included in the registrars list of Sedo fast transfer. That's a big disadvantage of Sedo compared to Afternic fast transfer.

Last edited:
•••
Hi

i don't see "marketplaces" as having a monopoly on domain transactions.

you have choices, but majority may choose the most popular or a long-standing service with proven results.

many deals still get done by phone or email and the transactions may take place thru escrow.com or paypal, etc.

so, other options are available.

it's just that marketplaces may be an easier route to take.

imo....

"most popular or a long-standing service with proven results."

That's where the monopoly is located. If running a domain marketplace business is an industry and the most popular 1-3 has over 80% market share, then it's a monopolistic market. I don't have the exact numbers but I think Afternic + Sedo may have 80% share of total domain marketplace market.

P2P domain deals are a choice but out of domain marketplace industry. For instance, soft drinks is a market, but everyone has a choice to consume their own home made soft drinks. Those choices are not within scope of any market. Because market players earn nothing from those choices. Domaining and domain marketplaces are 2 different markets. Online payments is another market. Those markets are closely interrelated to each other but each one is indepedent from each other. For instance, when some domainers sell domains face to face for cash in hand, such deals would eliminate domain marketplace market and online payment market. In the practice, it would be near-impossible but not completely impossible. So, domaining, domain marketplaces and online payments are 3 different markets and their players are mostly different persons/companies.

•••
I refer to domain reselling, domain investing by "domaining". Sorry if I worded domaining wrong. Let me word my point in a different way, domain reselling or domain selling act is a market, is an industry which is different from running a marketplace business. Both are different businesses, markets, industries.

Markets need marketplaces when they expand enough. So I agree. But marketplaces are different type business. For example, marketplaces make profit from fixed or announced commissions. Hence they will never make loss per business transaction. However marketplaces are also market as they are sold and bought but usually not in marketplaces: I haven't heard there are marketplaces where one can buy/sell domain marketplaces. It means there maybe markets without marketplace. Markets and marketplaces are different things.

Hi

marketplaces, are the result of the expansion of domaining.

MP's, also include all domain forums, the drop catchers > snap, namejet, dropcatch, park.io, sav, docky, dynadot and all the other registrars who auction expiring domains.

if, you are participant in any of the above on regular basis to buy/sell or discuss domain names, then you are engaged in the act of "domaining"

imo....

•••
I noticed, and I try the same but some buyers won't even budge... and I've lost a few sales that way. They put on their mind they only want to use company x but don't want to help pay the heavy cost.
I used to sell names using escrow.com , but then this company stopped working in Ukraine, I had to switch to Sedo, and now I have to switch to Epik. But I have not yet had clients who would refuse to work with Epik.

Last edited:
•••
I've had quite a few, especially less savvy ones that go search stuff they don't understand...

•••
Unfortunately big companies don't seem to care when we lose deals or not. They move on 5 mins later while we have to deal with the consequences.
Hi

negotiations probably go on every day in domaining and outside of it
not all of them close, as anticipated.
and if/when they don't,
how many are the fault of the platform or service that provides the stage to make the deal happen?

so....when you lose a deal, what are the reasons?

the buyer didn't counter your offer
the buyer didn't pay, after agreement
the buyer didn't respond
other reason?

also, consider that when a deal falls thru, you still have the domain.
so, what real consequences are experienced, as a fault of the platform?

earlier this year:
i had buyer agree to price, then they waited past 7 days to respond.
contacted sedo and stated "i feel this buyer will not pay"

they reached out to buyer several times and finally they paid for the domain.
then they requested auth code to transfer, which i submitted promptly....but they never initiated the transfer.

now mind you, the domain was unlocked at this point and auth code was submitted, which is only valid for brief period.
the buyer never initiated the transfer request, so i had to ask sedo to take possession of the domain, in order for me to get paid.
they created an account at the registrar and i pushed it there, and got paid same day.

as of today, that domain still doesn't resolve.

imo....

•••
I have tried Aftrenic, Sedo, Dan.
Most of my sales are from Sedo I like it .

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back