IT.COM

discuss Sedo has about 6% of sales

NameSilo
Watch

themavrick

Top Member
Impact
and it feels these are mostly end-user sales.

So only 6 - 10% of daily sales are end users and rest are domain investors?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Out of curiosity, how did you come up with this statistic of 6% sales from Sedo? What was the timeframe?

FYI: many investors also buy at Sedo when the price is right.

•••
how did you get from what yhoru title says to what your post says again?

•••
By looking at sales for yesterday at Namebio.com

•••
One day of sales will not give you any kind of accurate representation of the spread of sales across platforms.

I understand what you are getting at, and I look at and pull statistics daily like this, but you will need to get a much larger sample before you can make any statement like this.

Also many domainers do buy from Sedo, so you can't assume those are all to end users.

•••
This stats is incomplete/partial...
Because very significant part of Sedo sales (marketplace sales + sales via their Escrow) are "non-disclosed" sales and not published in Sedo feed (if "hidden" mode was requested by the buyer/seller).

•••
I don't know how Sedo performs nowadays...
But a few years ago their weekly volume was up to $1-2M...

Last edited:
•••
And ~50% of Sedo sales are under $500...
This is their own stats from the previous years.

•••
Regarding their Direct Auctions...
~99% of bidders on them are just another domainers... if any... because most such auctions will end without any bids.

•••
One day of sales will not give you any kind of accurate representation of the spread of sales across platforms.

I understand what you are getting at, and I look at and pull statistics daily like this, but you will need to get a much larger sample before you can make any statement like this.

Also many domainers do buy from Sedo, so you can't assume those are all to end users.

Thanks for your input Michael.

Yes, I agree the sample size is not enough to make a conclusion. I didn't want to make a conclusion but wanted to ask other domainers if the percentage of end-user sales seemed right. I know no one has a 100% accurate answer, but I was looking for personal opinions.

•••
perfect example of one drawing conclusions, based on inadequate findings

hope others don't make same mistakes

I think in this case, whether names where sold to end-user or domainer is irrelevant, and only the volume of sales is important.
the only way you'll know if sold to end-user, is if it's get developed....which is the end use.

imo......

Last edited:
•••
Thanks for your input Michael.

Yes, I agree the sample size is not enough to make a conclusion. I didn't want to make a conclusion but wanted to ask other domainers if the percentage of end-user sales seemed right. I know no one has a 100% accurate answer, but I was looking for personal opinions.
I think you would need to look at least a month of sales data and then use venue and sales price to try to differentiate end user sales. This would of course leave room for error, plus you have many end user sales unreported.

I personally have too many projects going on right now to tackle this one but would love to see results from someone who has time to do some good research and reporting on this.

•••
And SEDO wins on all their transactions at $60 minimum a sale!

•••
By looking at sales for yesterday at Namebio.com

sdeo does not report sales on weekends
as they don't work on weekends
and they report manually
time frame of reports does not always
-maybe never-
match sales date

•••
in a nutshell, if you don't do outbound, your domain will sold next year! :xf.grin:

just saying:xf.grin:

•••
perfect example of one drawing conclusions, based on inadequate findings

hope others don't make same mistakes

I think in this case, whether names where sold to end-user or domainer is irrelevant, and only the volume of sales is important.
the only way you'll know if sold to end-user, is if it's get developed....which is the end use.

imo......

yeah I have to agree.. this is one of the worst cases of drawing conclusions I ever saw.

some random daily stat of sedo sales at 6%... then assuming sedo is mostly enduser sales.. then assuming everything other thna sedo is mostly investors sales..

this isn't a conversation worth having.

cheers.

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back