Dynadot

Sedo Bungling of IWC.net UDRP: Caveat Emptor!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Caveat Emptor!

Domain Gang posted an article about Sedo's bungling of UDRP slapped IWC.net, a domain they sold to a customer for $1,400.

You'll never believe what Sedo did after selling this domain and receiving the UDRP:

I have stopped buying from the dropcatchers: Sedo, Namejet, and Pool.

No ethics whatsoever when offering TM domains for sale; they hide behind safe harbor rules.

Yes, we all need to be vigilant when buying domains, but, geez, I think the dropcatchers should share some of the responsibility.

Sedo was especially egregious when they parked the name during the very long escrow period and set up an infringing link farm. What a bunch of f*ckin' a$$es!!! This domain might have been saved had Sedo been more empathetic toward its customer.

Go Daddy at least doesn't offer TM's on its expired list (I still check, though) , but GD does NOT check private seller listings very much.

(Disclosure: I also posted this comment on Domain Gang)​

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hi Jennifer - the case with iwc.net is complex but the infringing ads appeared already when the seller sold the domain. See this screenshot from 2013. https://research.domaintools.com/research/screenshot-history/iwc.net/#2

Sedo made it clear in the UDRP that the buyer never completed the transaction/transfer: "Mr. Mischler had failed to update the registration information for the disputed domain name and to remove references to Sedo."

•••
Thanks for the clarification, Theo.

•••
Caveat Emptor!

Domain Gang posted an article about Sedo's bungling of UDRP slapped IWC.net, a domain they sold to a customer for $1,400.

You'll never believe what Sedo did after selling this domain and receiving the UDRP:

I have stopped buying from the dropcatchers: Sedo, Namejet, and Pool.

No ethics whatsoever when offering TM domains for sale; they hide behind safe harbor rules.

Yes, we all need to be vigilant when buying domains, but, geez, I think the dropcatchers should share some of the responsibility.

Sedo was especially egregious when they parked the name during the very long escrow period and set up an infringing link farm. What a bunch of f*ckin' a$$es!!! This domain might have been saved had Sedo been more empathetic toward its customer.

Go Daddy at least doesn't offer TM's on its expired list (I still check, though) , but GD does NOT check private seller listings very much.

(Disclosure: I also posted this comment on Domain Gang)​

UPDATE: I can't edit the thread I started, so I'll just update here.

Evidently, the buyer failed to complete the transaction, and the seller was squatting on the domain before he/she sold it.

So it looks as though the seller and buyer are primarily to blame and Sedo left holding the bag, so to speak.

Sorry for the confusion.

•••
No worries. Sedo does drag its feet technically, when a few thousand domains remain in "transfer mode" for some times up to a year.

This is not related to the transaction, which has completed, but to the buyer failing to assume ownership of the domain, e.g. to accept it into their registrar account. There has to be a way for reminders to be sent out, "pestering" the new owner to complete the transfer.

There are cases that Sedo has paid the renewal fees, as far as I know!

•••
My apologies to Sedo, then.

:)

•••
In a similar vein, it's reported on this site that EspnStar.com was just sold on NameJet.

•••
Another interesting angle - it's in Sedo's transfer TOS
https://sedo.com/uk/about-us/policies/domain-transfer-agreement/

Effectively they have the right to create a new registrar account for you and push the domain to it for you, if you are not yourself taking delivery after paying:

4.3.1. Quick Transfer

If during the transfer of a Domain the respective Buyer is not responding for a reasonable amount of time to Sedo´s instructions after remitting payment, the Buyer through their failure to respond, authorizes Sedo to effectuate a "quick" transfer (“Quick Transfer”). In the case of a Quick Transfer, Sedo may, at it’s sole discretion, conduct a domain "push," and Buyer authorizes Sedo to create a domain registrar account on behalf of the Buyer at the Domain’s current registrar utilizing the contact information in the Buyer's Sedo User Account and due to their failure to respond to Sedo in a timely manner, Buyer agrees to pay any fees incurred by Sedo effectuating the “push” of the Domain from the Seller’s registrar account to the Buyer’s. Once the registrar account has been created, and the Domain has been securely pushed from Seller's registrar account to the Buyer's, Sedo's transfer agent will give the Buyer their respective registrar account information, including password and login details. Transfer of Domain ownership is transfer of control of the Domain, and once the Buyer has control over the purchased Domain, he/she cannot claim that Sedo has not performed its duties under this User Agreement based solely on the fact that the Domain is not at the specific domain registrar of Buyer’s choice.

•••
Classic. Countless domains have been lost because of infringing ads on parked pages. People need to stay on top of things.

•••
and again a threatening reminder why i simply don't park any of my domains anymore.. no yearly xx-xxx parking income is worth the hassles and potential loss of good domains..

•••
and again a threatening reminder why i simply don't park any of my domains anymore.. no yearly xx-xxx parking income is worth the hassles and potential loss of good domains..

This! The only domains I park are those I buy specifically for ad revenue and not for resale.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back