Domain Empire

Sedo 4 Letter Domain Auction?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Anyone have experience with Sedo's 4 Letter domain auction?

You have to put a reserve price for under $99.

My question is, if you get a bid for $150 or even $2,500 and then the AUCTION ENDS, are you able to decline the highest bid if you believe that the value of your domain is higher?

I own a bunch of domains but have never sold one.

Thanks

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My question is, if you get a bid for $150 or even $2,500 and then the AUCTION ENDS, are you able to decline the highest bid if you believe that the value of your domain is higher?

No way, no how. That's not how auctions work. That's why a $99 reserve is basically useless. Once the bid reaches reserve price, consider the domain is sold.

•••
•••
No way, no how. That's not how auctions work. That's why a $99 reserve is basically useless. Once the bid reaches reserve price, consider the domain is sold.
Not just that. AFAIR, the min/starting bid also is $99 which essentially makes the auction a no-reserve auction

•••
What's the way way to sell a 4 letter domain registered for over 20 yrs? (VVCC.com)

•••
What's the way way to sell a 4 letter domain registered for over 20 yrs? (VVCC.com)

Wait another 20 years.

Ok, I jest, but like Tom Petty sings, "the waiting is the hardest part" -- yet it can also be the best part, or rather, strategy for attaining the best possible price.

The best way without the wait is to put the name on Godaddy auction but place an acceptable reserve.

Last edited:
•••
So godaddy is better than afternic and or sedo?

•••
So godaddy is better than afternic and or sedo?

Godaddy owns Afternic, but Afternic doesn't run auctions. Listing with Afternic is a very popular option. My only experience with Sedo is nearly a decade ago and it hasn't changed much, which is probably why I haven't gone back.

Last edited:
•••
I appreciate the info! Thanks!

•••
I listed 3 four letter names at one of Sedo's earlier 4 letter auction. All sold at the $99 price. They were not great value as they all started with "Q" but still wasn't expecting them to sell that low.

•••
I listed 3 four letter names at one of Sedo's earlier 4 letter auction. All sold at the $99 price. They were not great value as they all started with "Q" but still wasn't expecting them to sell that low.

Ouch! But that's a good case in point.

It's tough all around, because in my experience, many bidders tend to avoid reserve auctions, so bidding will be lackluster unless it's a highly desirable name. Luck and timing can help as well.

•••
LLLL.com are selling for more than $150 at most expired domain marketplaces.

Last edited:
•••
You might not have expected to sell that low. But, when there is less competition, you don't get high bid.
In Namepros, in general, 4L .com gets sold for $120+ if auctioned.

•••
Ouch! But that's a good case in point.

It's tough all around, because in my experience, many bidders tend to avoid reserve auctions, so bidding will be lackluster unless it's a highly desirable name. Luck and timing can help as well.

Anyway, the bidders are gonna bid for only amount that they think it's worth/afforable for them!

Just curious, why "many bidders tend to avoid reserve auctions"?

•••
Just curious, why "many bidders tend to avoid reserve auctions"?

I could be wrong, but at least with Godaddy, most bidders simply prefer the expired auctions. But also what I have seen, a lot of sellers recycle their reserve auctions that are priced too high for bidders looking to resell/flip/make a profit.

•••
Last edited:
•••
Anyone have experience with Sedo's 4 Letter domain auction?

You have to put a reserve price for under $99.

I own a bunch of domains but have never sold one.

Thanks
There is an option of Reserve Price (which is the minimum price that you want to sell). So No need to worry.

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back