NameSilo

discuss Science & Technology news & discussion

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

CraigD

Top Member
Impact
Post and discuss interesting articles & videos about science and technology.

You don't need to be an expert - just interested in the wonders of modern science, technology, and the history of these fields.

Please keep it rational, and post articles from reputable sources.
Try not to editorialise headlines and keep the copy to just a paragraph with a link to the original source. When quoting excerpts from articles, I think the best method is to italicise the copy, and include a link to the source.

Have some fun with your comments and discussions... just keep the sources legitimate.

Other threads:
The Break Room has a number of other popular threads, so there is no need to post material here that is better suited to these other threads:

- Covid19-Coronavirus updates and news
- Conspiracy Thread Free For All
- The *religious* discussion thread

Please enjoy!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I might try some old-school moulding with a twist... found this home construction video using Aircrete panels (concrete + styrofoam). I like the fact it's putting recycled styrofoam to good use, but I wonder what shredding styrofoam does to the ozone layer.

I'd also wonder what toxins it might be emitting.

•••
I'd also wonder what toxins it might be emitting.

Most modern building materials off-gas, even concrete (co2). A building material for the future: Hempcrete! :xf.cool:

Hempcrete vs. Concrete:

Without a doubt, hempcrete is a more sustainable choice than concrete. As the world becomes more conscious about the environment, you can expect drastic laws and measures that aim to reduce pollution and the depletion of the earth’s resources. This means that different industrial sectors will be moving toward greener processes. When it comes to the construction industry, hempcrete is definitely the number one contender thanks to its environmentally-friendly production and application.

https://hempcretehomes.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-hempcrete-vs-concrete/

•••
I might try some old-school moulding with a twist... found this home construction video using Aircrete panels (concrete + styrofoam). I like the fact it's putting recycled styrofoam to good use, but I wonder what shredding styrofoam does to the ozone layer. :unsure:

Let me know if you do decide to go ahead. Maybe there's something I can add to help make it make more sense to do.

Last edited:
•••
It just takes one person in your company to think about a sh**ty and crappy nonsense and the CEO believeing that sh*t, and there you have a company flushing down the toilet millions of dollars.
The guys really believe that people "will LIVE in the Metaverse, work in the Metaverse, and potentially prefer my time in the Metaverse to my day-to-day grind".

EDIT: If it comes the day where people really prefer their time in the "Metaverse" to their "day-to-day grind" it will be definitely the day where silliness will be the definition of Humanity.

Facebook’s Meta mission was laid out in a 2018 paper

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/facebooks-meta-mission-was-laid-2018-paper-rcna4223

In June 2018, Oculus executive Jason Rubin sent an email to Facebook board member Marc Andreessen with the subject line “The Metaverse.”

....“I might check in to Facebook multiple times a day, but I will LIVE in the Metaverse, work in the Metaverse, and potentially prefer my time in the Metaverse to my day-to-day grind,” the document says.

To be successful, Rubin writes, the metaverse has to be scary. That is, it has to to be so ambitious, so bold, so filled with thousands of hours of gameplay, so life-altering that Facebook engineers are terrified of what they’re up against.

“If delivering the Metaverse we set out to build doesn’t scare the living hell out of us, then it is not the Metaverse we should be building, it is not what customers want, and it is, therefore, meaningless,” he wrote. “Anything else is a Mini-verse.”

Last edited:
•••
It just takes one person in your company to think about a sh**ty and crappy nonsense and the CEO believeing that sh*t, and there you have a company flushing down the toilet millions of dollars.
The guys really believe that people "will LIVE in the Metaverse, work in the Metaverse, and potentially prefer my time in the Metaverse to my day-to-day grind".

I think people are having a hard time dealing with reality.

•••
I might try some old-school moulding with a twist... found this home construction video using Aircrete panels (concrete + styrofoam). I like the fact it's putting recycled styrofoam to good use, but I wonder what shredding styrofoam does to the ozone layer. :unsure:

Let me know if you do decide to go ahead. Maybe there's something I can add to help make it make more sense to do.

Further to this: I'm wondering what else shredded styrofoam could work for, work with. Could it be used with hempcrete, for things like low load and non load bearing walls? Could it be used for..... . I think my material pump system/s would handle such mixes, including if one wanted to add fibers for extra strength.

Could such mixes be used in 3D printing for some things?

•••
University of Idaho Receives $4M NSF Grant To Study Recycled Wood for 3D Construction

In a university press release, Maughan summarized the project: “We’re developing a new composite material, using completely bio-based resources on a truly large scale. With this technology, houses and commercial buildings can be made entirely differently. We can push past climate change, mitigate impact on our environment and make better use of the natural resources we have.”

img_8252-1024x683.jpg

The roof of the Idaho Central Credit Union Arena, constructed entirely with engineered wood

https://3dprint.com/286210/universi...t-to-study-recycled-wood-for-3d-construction/

Last edited:
•••
Silicon Valley wants to power the U.S. war machine

Should Silicon Valley unseat legacy defense companies, this transformation will come with its own risks. Autonomous weapons remove military personnel from harm, but they also inoculate human operators from the suffering they inflict. Even AI’s proponents express concern that it could advance at a pace leading to a fully automated war taking place between algorithms. Two generations ago, the microchips developed in the Valley were used in the nuclear missiles that very nearly ended life as we knew it.

https://www.fastcompany.com/9068626...ass&utm_campaign=eem524:524:s00:11/01/2021_fc

•••
California’s landscapers to bear brunt of ban on gas-powered lawnmowers

Sometimes I wish I lived in California. It’s not just the weather or In-N-Out Burgers, it’s simpler than that. It’s the peace and quiet I’d soon be experiencing when the state’s new ban on gas-powered engines takes effect. No loud leaf blowers drowning out my Zoom calls. No lawnmowers grooming my neighbor’s yard as I’m trying to concentrate.

The state’s governor, Gavin Newsom, in his effort to achieve 100% zero emissions, has signed a new bill that bans the sale of small off-road engines by 2024. And while I’m sure many people will welcome the less noisy electrical replacements that will soon be widely used, many small business owners in the landscaping and construction industries are not happy.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/31/california-lawnmower-ban-gas-powered-landscapers

Those guys need something that works better in the field. I'd look at building custom equipment that better suits. Also equipment that doesn't need proprietary battery packs.

When I was doing tree work while going to university, I built what I called 'chainsaw on a stick'. It was an electric chainsaw on an extendable fiberglass pole, that let me cut branches upwards of ~9 meters high. Beat the shorter such versions that were on the market. Also beat having to climb up with a gas chainsaw, unless I had to make a better finish cut. In the right situations it could beat a bucket truck, for the total cost of 150.00 at the time, plus a genset to run it when working where power wasn't readily available. I used it last year to clear back some trees out of a friend's high power lines. Still works after sitting for a few years. Great ROI. I've thought to build another, more custom one. But it's low on the list, right now.

If I do build another, better one, I might call it 'Bucket truck in a box'. :)

Last edited:
•••
Further to this: I'm wondering what else shredded styrofoam could work for, work with. Could it be used with hempcrete, for things like low load and non load bearing walls? Could it be used for..... . I think my material pump system/s would handle such mixes, including if one wanted to add fibers for extra strength.

Could such mixes be used in 3D printing for some things?

It sure makes sense to reuse styrofoam for wall insulation. I think it would be relatively easy to make moulds and pour the stuff into. Remove the mould and voila...a ready made wall! Likely there would be 3D applications, but the material needs time to set (not sure of the industrial applications). I'm doing some geometry for a relatively simple but practical project I have in mind for next summer. I'll have to start stockpiling styrofoam while I look around for a hempcrete recipe. :xf.wink:

I found a domestic source of hemp fiber (maybe even an opportunity) :xf.wink:

https://canadiangreenfield.com/imme...mand-for-nforce-fiber-prompts-large-offering/

Last edited:
•••
Mark Zuckerberg should quit Facebook, says Frances Haugen

Facebook whistleblower Frances Haugen has delivered her strongest call yet for Mark Zuckerberg to step down as chief executive of his social media empire, saying the business will be better off with a leader who focuses on user safety.

Frances Haugen said Facebook’s parent company, rebranded Meta last week, is unlikely to change if its founder remains in charge. Speaking at the Web Summit in Lisbon, the former Facebook employee, who has leaked tens of thousands of internal documents detailing the company’s struggles with user safety and misinformation, also criticised Zuckerberg’s “unconscionable” decision to invest in its metaverse concept instead of focusing on fixing its current problems.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...berg-should-quit-facebook-says-frances-haugen

•••
It sure makes sense to reuse styrofoam for wall insulation. I think it would be relatively easy to make moulds and pour the stuff into. Remove the mould and voila...a ready made wall! Likely there would be 3D applications, but the material needs time to set (not sure of the industrial applications). I'm doing some geometry for a relatively simple but practical project I have in mind for next summer. I'll have to start stockpiling styrofoam while I look around for a hempcrete recipe. :xf.wink:

I found a domestic source of hemp fiber (maybe even an opportunity) :xf.wink:

https://canadiangreenfield.com/imme...mand-for-nforce-fiber-prompts-large-offering/

I wonder if pumping some styrofoam concoction/s into the voids created after 3D printing walls could make sense at times. A thought.

Last edited:
•••

Attachments

• 1635986180300.png
    1635986180300.png
    68 bytes · Views: 81
•••
I wonder if pumping some styrofoam concoction/s into the voids created after 3D printing walls could make sense at times. A thought.

Just as insulation is blown into attics and walls, this could functionally be incorporated into the design. Load bearing forms can be 3D printed, but I'm not sure how the wall skin would be.

•••
ARE FASHION BRANDS ON TRACK TO MEET THE 1.5C EMISSIONS PATHWAY?

Fashion companies are collectively responsible for 5% to 8% of climate emissions every year. Dirty fossil fuels like coal continue to power the manufacturing of apparel, footwear, and other fashion goods sold by leading brands, and fracked fabrics like polyester have become a mainstay of fast fashion and athleticwear.

Recognizing their massive role in driving climate change, many of the largest global brands came together in 2018 to sign the United Nations Fashion Industry Charter for Climate Action — committing to reduce their climate emissions 30% by 2030, including in their supply chains, which contribute more than 90% of their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.

While some progress had been made by a handful of brands in transitioning away from fossil fuels in their own operations, most brands had made little to no progress eliminating coal and other fossil fuels from their supply chain, where the vast majority of their emissions lie. In fact, some were even more dependent on coal than when they first signed the charter.

nike.png

https://www.stand.earth/blog/market...-emissions-on-pathway-meeting-paris-agreement

•••
Just as insulation is blown into attics and walls, this could functionally be incorporated into the design. Load bearing forms can be 3D printed, but I'm not sure how the wall skin would be.

I'm thinking the styrofoam mixes could be adjusted for things like load bearing, insulation, noise control, ..... . Sometimes a styrofoam mix might make most sense, sometimes not, when consider all factors.

If by 'wall skin' you're meaning exposed wall areas, I'm thinking there should be a few ways to finish them, including stuccoing the outside and drywalling the inside, using glues for installing the board. Some of those glues are also designed to reduce noise transfer, which would be a bonus for things like apartment and duplex divider walls, homes built in areas with higher noise levels, .... .

Glue eg.
https://csrbuilding.com/products/gr...MI677N48T-8wIVRAp9Ch10agFvEAQYAyABEgIZ9vD_BwE

3d printed apartment building
https://www.designboom.com/architec...g-germany-construction-peri-cobod-11-24-2020/

•••
ARE FASHION BRANDS ON TRACK TO MEET THE 1.5C EMISSIONS PATHWAY?

Fashion companies are collectively responsible for 5% to 8% of climate emissions every year. Dirty fossil fuels like coal continue to power the manufacturing of apparel, footwear, and other fashion goods sold by leading brands, and fracked fabrics like polyester have become a mainstay of fast fashion and athleticwear.

Recognizing their massive role in driving climate change, many of the largest global brands came together in 2018 to sign the United Nations Fashion Industry Charter for Climate Action — committing to reduce their climate emissions 30% by 2030, including in their supply chains, which contribute more than 90% of their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.

While some progress had been made by a handful of brands in transitioning away from fossil fuels in their own operations, most brands had made little to no progress eliminating coal and other fossil fuels from their supply chain, where the vast majority of their emissions lie. In fact, some were even more dependent on coal than when they first signed the charter.

nike.png

https://www.stand.earth/blog/market...-emissions-on-pathway-meeting-paris-agreement

I'm hoping using 3D printing to recycle clothes can significantly address some of this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=3d+...i57j69i64.17528j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:
•••

Super-efficient linear compressor could vastly reduce air con power use​

Compressor efficiency might not sound like the most exciting topic in the world, but consider this: the hotter the world gets – and the wealthier its developing countries become – the more air conditioners will come online. According to the IEA, fans and air con already represent an astonishing 10 percent of global electricity consumption, but as billions more homes in hot areas install A/C, that power demand is set to skyrocket. ...

So compressor efficiency is set to be a very big deal in the coming decades, and by proxy, that makes Magtor's Magtorpressor a device worth looking into – because this Maltese company claims its demonstrator units are already delivering 90 percent more pressure than the average air compressor for the same power consumption, and some 29 percent more than the best current devices on the market. ...

It shouldn't be a hard sell to consumers, says Magtor, estimating that an average German household using these pumps just for refrigeration and air con can expect to save somewhere between US$91 and $240 a year on energy bills.

https://newatlas.com/energy/magtor-...ail&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-a685c64142-90628689

•••
I'm hoping using 3D printing to recycle clothes can significantly address some of this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=3d+...i57j69i64.17528j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Their minimalist pullovers reduce fabric wasted in the cutting process from 21% to less than 1%, producing a garment that is made to last from one piece with no seams and reinforced edging. They use an algorithm based on data gathered from 30,000 men globally to create avatars and custom design garments from customers’ weight, height, age and shoe size. This achieves a 4% product return rate compared to the 25-50% average.

I love the idea of custom design garments ... shoes would be nice, too.

•••
Their minimalist pullovers reduce fabric wasted in the cutting process from 21% to less than 1%, producing a garment that is made to last from one piece with no seams and reinforced edging. They use an algorithm based on data gathered from 30,000 men globally to create avatars and custom design garments from customers’ weight, height, age and shoe size. This achieves a 4% product return rate compared to the 25-50% average.

I love the idea of custom design garments ... shoes would be nice, too.

I'm especially waiting to see what 4D printed garments will be able to do - will be able to morph into, morph to do.

Some 3D printed shoes: https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...WypBSsQjJkEegQIKhAC&biw=1536&bih=722&dpr=1.25

•••
•••
They're a little pricey, but not that much more than a nice-quality conventional shoe. Custom fit would be great for those of us with atypical feet.

When 3D's potential for 'mass customization' takes hold, quality should go up and price, down.

I was at a local 3D printing shop today, talking to their lead designer about construction 3D printing and 4D printing - the 2 areas I'm most interested in right now. I could see where local 3D manufacturing of products like custom shoes could happen at places like that. You can also get 3D printing training from them and make your own products with their printers, if wanted.

Google search for '3D print your own shoes': https://www.google.com/search?q=3d+...9i57j69i64.7902j0j15&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm also getting more interested in the use of 3D printing for recycling materials like plastic and fabrics, construction materials, ... . I think/hope it'll be a game changer for the environment.

Last edited:
•••
I was at a local 3D printing shop today, talking to their lead designer about construction 3D printing and 4D printing - the 2 areas I'm most interested in right now. I could see where local 3D manufacturing of products like custom shoes could happen at places like that. You can also get 3D printing training from them and make your own products with their printers, if wanted.
I like that idea. Early in the pandemic, I thought about getting a 3D printer to make masks.

I didn't know you could use 3D printing to recycle materials; that's a promising development.

•••

‘Luxury carbon consumption’ of top 1% threatens 1.5C global heating limit​

The carbon dioxide emissions of the richest 1% of humanity are on track to be 30 times greater than what is compatible with keeping global heating below 1.5C, new research warns, as scientists urge governments to “constrain luxury carbon consumption” of private jets, megayachts and space travel.

In keeping with the Paris climate goals, every person on Earth needs to reduce their CO2 emissions to an average of 2.3 tonnes by 2030, about half the average of today.

The richest 1% – which is a population smaller than Germany – are on track to be releasing 70 tonnes of CO2 per person a year if current consumption continues, according to the study. In total they will account for 16% of total emissions by 2030, up from 13% of emissions in 1990. Meanwhile, the poorest 50% will be releasing an average of one tonne of CO2 annually.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ould-jeopardise-1point5c-global-heating-limit

•••

Half world’s fossil fuel assets could become worthless by 2036 in net zero transition​

About half of the world’s fossil fuel assets will be worthless by 2036 under a net zero transition, according to research.

Countries that are slow to decarbonise will suffer but early movers will profit; the study finds that renewables and freed-up investment will more than make up for the losses to the global economy.

It highlights the risk of producing far more oil and gas than required for future demand, which is estimated to leave $11tn-$14tn (£8.1tn-£10.3tn) in so-called stranded assets – infrastructure, property and investments where the value has fallen so steeply they must be written off.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...uel-assets-worthless-2036-net-zero-transition

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back