advice Scam or no scam?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Want2learn

Top Member
Impact
I received this email today . . .I inserted the Xs and the XY

Hello!
I represent a buyer from XXXXXXX who wants to buy XXXXXXXX.com for a new web project.
Are you still interested in selling?
The buyer is a professional investor with a good budget.
I located your contact information via whois search.
I help VIP clients of our hosting company to buy names.
If you have more names please email me the list.
Best Regards,
XY
Personal Broker
XXXXXXX
Hosting Company
Tokyo, Japan

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Everything written has happened. I did respond back. Now I just need a certificate to make it happen! They loved the domain a lot, 15-20k. Sheesh why can't they be on NP doing my appraisals;)

•••
I don't think many genuine buyers start off negotiations by telling you they have a 'good budget'.

•••
•••
Dead giveaway....

I want your domain

If you have more domains I am also interested.

A real end user could care less about your other domains.... they want the one they want and that is it.

Scam all the way

•••
That is what I suspected! Thanks.

•••
SCAM !
After replying you'll get this insane offer only if you do a manual appraisal, but of course this 'kind' person will help you through it all.

•••
Age old appraisal scam. Next reply from them after your agreement to sell would be their requirement for an appraisal from one of their entities.

Delete and move on with life...cheers!

•••
Just google a part of email when in doubt - here are results for your email:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/scam-or-not.1012188/
https://www.namepros.com/threads/scam-or-not.1012188/

http://morganlinton.com/most-popular-domain-name-scams-part-i/ - see comment from
rg May 15, 2017, 6:14 pm:

They’re still out there doing this. I got one today 5/15/2017 see below. I reply asking them to make an offer and when they replied $85000.00 I knew it was a scam and then search and found this tread.

Hello!

I represent a buyer from Osaka who wants to buy XXXXXX.org for a new web project.
Best Regards,
Yoshihiko Kawanaka
Vice President
Investor Relations
Heteml ltd.
Hosting Company
Tokyo, Japan

•••
•••
well, if I got that email......and I am buying domains and hope to sell them....I sure would pursue it.
I wouldn't go giving a list of my names quite yet but I would acknowledge the offer and find out what he had in mind of paying for it before revealing other related names.
Might be a scam......might not.
I just sold a name and it pretty much started out that way and straight out of left field tho there was no mention of an investor with a big budget or hosting company or vip. It was just some person asking if I was interested in selling the name.
Why wouldn't you reply?

Last edited:
•••
Dead giveaway....

I want your domain

If you have more domains I am also interested.

A real end user could care less about your other domains.... they want the one they want and that is it.

Scam all the way
Bingo! that would be true.

well......want2learn posted while I wrote this.
Nice deal....congrats and good luck
you just never know I guess

Last edited:
•••
Lol I should have started my negotiations and played hard ball!

•••
•••
Everything written has happened. I did respond back. Now I just need a certificate to make it happen! They loved the domain a lot, 15-20k. Sheesh why can't they be on NP doing my appraisals;)
ok, with this post, another post or two after this one by you as well, and with my dyslexic mind I am not sure what you have found out and I am curious. Scam or no scam? Were they really interested in the initial domain or not?

•••
Sorry, it was a scam! PresidentFailures.com according to the email was worth 15-20k . . . which is laughable, obviously:)

HeHeHe..... Actually... maybe not.

All depends on how much Trump @#$% up!

Hold on to it and you may actually find a buyer that hates Trump enough to fork money over for the domain.

Seriously.... I'm not kidding.

•••
Hopefully, one day, there will be email addresses put into images and or another form of anti-bot preventative measure on those "whois" sites.

•••
I had this email few weeks ago ended up in spam bin but i did read it.

•••
You posted your ties to domains on Ebay. I had a similar inquiry after posting on ebay, so I suspect that could be the origin of troll as I have registered many elsewhere and since never another inquiry with different whois info. I had posted a similar question and thread here to back then and I kindly received answers like you have.

Last edited:
•••
Totally Scam Man,

Rule #1: 99% of Scammers come as a representer for someone who interested! ====> DAMN SCAMM
Rule #2: "Good Budget??" ====> Scam as well!
Rule #3: Replied with High Offer, before negotiation, or MORE than it worth!! ====> SCAM too!

•••
well, if I got that email......and I am buying domains and hope to sell them....I sure would pursue it.
I wouldn't go giving a list of my names quite yet but I would acknowledge the offer and find out what he had in mind of paying for it before revealing other related names.
Might be a scam......might not.
I just sold a name and it pretty much started out that way and straight out of left field tho there was no mention of an investor with a big budget or hosting company or vip. It was just some person asking if I was interested in selling the name.
Why wouldn't you reply?

This is a classic known appraisal scam. Go to the scams subforum and read the numerous details of similar e-mails/scams. That is why it's not worth replying. It is merely a waste of time!

Last edited:
•••
Dirty scam. Tell them to pay for the appraisal.

•••
I received this email today . . .I inserted the Xs and the XY

Hello!
I represent a buyer from XXXXXXX who wants to buy XXXXXXXX.com for a new web project.
Best Regards,
XY
Personal Broker
XXXXXXX
Hosting Company
Tokyo, Japan
I have just received the same email from zenlogic-jp.info, the mailing domain was just registered in the .info extension while the .com is available for registration. What a cheap scam.

•••
Bingo! that would be true.

well......want2learn posted while I wrote this.
Nice deal....congrats and good luck
you just never know I guess
It was def worth the reply!! Just not the result I wanted:)

•••
Appraisal scam. He will ask to have domains appraised for a fee.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back