report SCAM ALERT

NameSilo
Watch
Status
Not open for further replies.
The original thread is now deleted/edited by user @Daniel Capusan

https://www.namepros.com/threads/1079625/#post-6701015

but here goes:

User posted a thread seeking out the owner of the domain name Vege.us as they wanted to buy the domain, our brokerage team reached out to the user in the thread asking what their budget was to acquire the domain. They replied stating they were willing to purchase the domain for $1500. They were only willing to use sedo.com for sale.

Our brokerage team went to work to get that domain for the user.

We acquired the domain from a “Iuga Petru Ovidiu” using our PayPal acct “I will be filing a dispute”.

After acquiring the domain and updating the contact info, we reached back out to the buyer here on namepros, they now changed their tune, said “we will reach out to the food company to see if they are still interested in vege.us”

Our reply was “you agreed on a purchase price and method, as per forum rules you are bound to this agreement. The buyers response was “ you didn’t tell me you were the owner of the domain so I don’t need to buy it from you”

Scammers like this on namepros? Come on guys, I don’t really care about the $400 as I will get it back through credit protection but it’s just bad business!

WATCH OUT FOR THIS USER @Daniel Capusan

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Well it's been an interesting read and I do remember the original post it was on the lines of "Does anybody know the owner of Vege.us"

from a business legal standpoint, surely the "Law-of-contract" comes into play and that may well come down to the wording in the exchanged emails. Misrepresentation could also be a consideration and could also come into play on either side.

Nobody in their right mind is going to take this beyond a fingers/reputation burned lesson, purely because we are talking about $400. But, hey I now know two people that I wouldn't trust to play off a straight-bat in the domaining world

Last edited:
•••
Well it's been an interesting read and I do remember the original post it was on the lines of "Does anybody know the owner of Vege.us"

from a business legal standpoint, surely the "Law-of-contract" comes into play and that may well come down to the wording in the exchanged emails. Misrepresentation could also be a consideration and could also come into play on either side.

Nobody in their right mind is going to tak this beyond a fingers/reputation burned lesson, purely because we are talking about $400. But, hey I now know two people that I wouldn't trust to play of a straight-bat in the domaining world

https://www.namepros.com/threads/scamm-alert-iuga-petru-ovidiu-ori-la-bal-ori-la-spital-in-eng-we-go-or-to-party-or-to-hospital.1079931/

Sorry my mistake
Do you realy read all what i write or read only you like BaileyUK ?
I SAY
This post must be close by Namepros - i use name Daniel Capusan in bad faith

Please no more comments here - comment in post i open

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Get real. In Florida, and other states, even an oral agreement can be used in litigation. The amount is irrelevant, you can go to a small claims court for up to $5,000 dollars. There are ways to enforce basic laws of trade. Nobody wants to be scammed, and that's the entire purpose of this thread: to warn others, and there's substantial evidence that the two Romanians know each other.

I've seen people getting banned on NPs for smaller infractions.

You just confirmed what I said. That your ideas of what is allowed in trade are from your tribe and you take them to be righteous and globally enforceable. It just doesn't always work like that.

Irrelevant, neither of these parties are from state of Florida. And we know you can draw up a litigation based on anything and the lawyers will collect the fees. Good luck on getting anybody to take seriously of a Canadien citizen filing a litigation on a 400 USD incident with a Romanian citizen. There is just currently no framework for that except forum and community rules and payment processor actions. Which I said he will face.

And while we're at it look at the laws of Florida on misrepresentation, could be a serious crime. If user Judgemind acted as the owner of the domain before he had actually bought the domain he was scamming as well and he will have to face the same forum rules. No exceptions based on nationalities here.

•••
"My tribe" is doing just fine. If you don't process Western law well, maybe you want to stick to the tribunals of your tribe. But in this case, both parties are using a Western payment processor, and that's the best part.

Playing devil's advocate on a lost case won't get you far. Already the Romanian made the mistake to post under a second NamePros account - an instant reason for ban.

Last edited:
•••
I read the original request thread and can’ t believe anyone fell for this. It was sketch from the start. Did Judge receive a domain or not? Because I am not seeing what PayPal can do if he received the goods he bought. The reason for the buying is of no concern to PP.

Last edited:
•••
"My tribe" is doing just fine. If you don't process Western law well, maybe you want to stick to the tribunals of your tribe. But in this case, both parties are using a Western payment processor, and that's the best part.

Playing devil's advocate on a lost case won't get you far. Already the Romanian made the mistake to post under a second NamePros account - an instant reason for ban.

I don't understand what is your argument here? I said he will face the actions of the payment processor and community/forum rules what is acceptable to be included in this group.

But so should the other party take responsibility and if the investigation by proper mods finds he was also acting in bad faith by misrepresenting as the owner(wording is key here) when it wasn't so I'm not sure if that brakes any rules here but if so he has to face them.

We all get scammed. Own up, learn from your mistakes and inform others so the community as a whole benefit from it. Of course, the initial disappointment and emotions will lead to rash actions and words, that is understandable.

I'm from a western country but I do business globally and I accept the realities of it and learn from other cultures, but thanks.

•••
•••
Looks like quoting is broken. Onto the juice:

So you're saying that basically it's just an "ethical" issue and you want the party at loss to "learn from his mistakes."

Of course he will learn from his mistake to believe that the other party was going to keep their part of the contract. He's making it clear, by sharing his mistake publicly, so that others won't be suckered in by the practice.

You can't deprive him of taking any other legal angle to the matter. Just because in your opinion $400 is not an amount worthy of litigation, doesn't mean he has a lost case. You'd be surprised about how much a contract or one's word means to some, they are willing to put a lot of time and effort exceeding the original loss.

By suggesting that he simply learns from his mistake, instead of maxing out his legal options, you're encouraging scammers and thieves to perpetuate this practice.

•••
We're not talking grandma's here but person making strategic business moves. He answered into a dubious forum post, ignored all red signs and maybe misrepresented in order to make a buck. He took a knowledgeable risk because had to own the asset while the other party (you dont know the exact wording used) had talked about buying it for 1,500 USD. Well it turns up it was a scam. Even if had been legit he would have had to calculate the risk of the guy disappearing from the forum or having payment issues then canceling (def. not taking word for 100% of certainty AND IF not, litigate).

The sensible move here is to inform others, file that paypal thing, adjust your risk weights and improve your sense of scams and how your greed controls them and how it's used.

I'm not depriving him of anything, he can ultimately do whatever he wants. But yes I'm questioning if instead of making yourself less gullible, informing the whole and working on minimizing (cannot be totally removed) the incentives for scammers is more sensible way than spending energy blaming others, threatening with bloodhounds or really coming through and spending time and money flying around the world litigating.

We cannot know if this 400 usd lesson will end up saving him 25000 USD in future...

Thanks for the discussion but I think we will be going circles from here on so I wish good luck for you and the mods to take over and solve this as they please. Cheers.

•••
I'm sure the OP will make a decision based on his own personal motivation: to expose the scam, get back the lost funds, and seek punitive damages.

I hope you understand that your original commentary pretty much made fun of the alleged ineptitude displayed by the OP (as if he didn't do his homework to protect himself from the scammer.)

Indeed, the bait and switch scam is as old as trade itself. Hermes was the god protector of merchants *and* thieves.

In our current times, however, laws protect the merchants, not the thieves.

•••
•••
@Daniel Capusan / @ Backorder-ing.com makes a confession on this matter as below:

FROM START TO BE CLEAR FOR ALL MEMBERS OF COMMUNITY

"First & the most important thing: - must tell to community that Daniel Capusan was not involve in this problem in any aspects
I guarantee you that . Dany is a very very good person and help a lot of people including me ( and i am sorry also because i implicated his name in this issue) . I have access to his Namperos account & also access to his registrars where have domains because trust in me
So must understand this & must tell to community/apologize that implicate name of Daniel Capusan & his family in your problem & Daniel is 100% innocent .
You can refer only to me & if you want to expose me as a scammer your choice ( Iuga Petru Ovidiu) . As i tell intention was good try to catch a real scammer , you want to make a quick money , caught in a middle & i was belive you are the scammer from USA that list domain on SEDO pretend to be the owner."
Quote from convo with David
Now you can comment here leave behind post * SCAM ALERT* open by David
As i tell intention was good try to catch a real scammer , you want to make a quick money , caught in a middle & i was belive you are the scammer from USA that list domain on SEDO pretend to be the owner and try to sell to a four part with 2800$ and of course on SEDO you have time min. 6 days to transfer domain ( up 2 weeks)to Sedo escrow Assume that in this time period the pretender of domain on SEDO will contact me & offer me 100$ " by the way that was initial offer made by Davis to me via email" ( and have all convo in email)
So i made a post and say "Who knows the owner of vege.us & if is here on Namepros" in title
and write in post " a friend of mine have a food company & want to buy the domain vege.us . Pm please if you know the owner"
Few people send me PM & say owner is Iuga Petru Ovidiu with email [email protected]
I response this is not the owner of domain & is a mistake in Whois
Also recived a email from Candance member :
"Hi Ovidiu,
Is your domain name Vege.us for sale?
If so, please do let me know the price. ( try to acquire from me if it was my domain)
If the domain is not for sale, please also let me know.
Best,
"
and replay "No .. is not my domain"
Arround 3PM my time ( i think Canada 8:45AM - i have anyway print screens) recived email from David:
"Would you accept $100 for vege.us?
David"

"Hy David
is not for sale under $ 400 paypal payment
" - me
"I suppose we can come up a bit. We can do $400. Is PayPal fine with you?
David
"...and we close the deal i aprox 1 hour
Meantime here on private convo i ask Dave to provide the phone number to talk intention was to to tell him i am in the middle of investigation but provide me his phone number after pay & have the domain in dynaDot account and replay in convo :
" The contact info on domain was showing old Whois. I have updated.
You can call me if you need to
1-250-816-3283
I wish to use escrow.com for transaction"

My replay was "We use only SEDO sorry"
And the rest is history i have full convo in printscreen etc..
My intention was good & is good to try & catch the scammer from SEDO - IMO i think is a big fish if have account from 2005 a wellknow domainer

With David i am sorry was belive he is the scammer from SEDO
That why i make the deal with him
The money will refund to him - now is open case in Paypal and must say David don't comunicate with me - last word from him "If there an option to refund the payment then do that" i tell him before not possible to refund money because withdraw money to my credit card &n should arrive in 5-7 day late until this friday & i will refund money
My Paypal balance was negative -384$ ( because of withdraw ) but today i made two legit sale with a memeber of the Namepros ( many thanks JO) loose a lot of money but i was happy because my Paypal balance is possitive and now $384 are held by Paypal to resolve despite case
Well ..you can call me a scammer if you want or "Scamm alert Iuga Petru Ovidiu"

Cheers to all

•••
At this time the duplicate accounts have been closed and the original account has been warned.

Thank you for alerting me to this issue.

•••

First of all, I most say that I'm a romanian living in another EU country, but I think that @JudgeMind is right. Regarding the rules of a 'western tribe', you most not forget that doesn't matter where the payment processor has the headquarter, if he has any business in another country he most follow the laws in that particular country, no matter if we are talking about paypal, uber or others. Also, in most EU countries, the small claims court doesn't work, so if one of them is from US and one of them from an EU country, it will be very hard to recover the 400$ in courts and it could take years and from my experience I can tell you that EU judges don't like US judges rulings and US judges don't like EU judges rulings, so that makes it even harder. If it can't be through paypal, there are big chances that the amount will be lost.

•••
@boker - the idea is that if you advise people to not pursue legal action, you are encouraging scammers to carry on with their activities.

One can always file a report with the Europol, and also seize domain assets of the scammer through a lawsuit, because Verisign is a US company. Keep that in mind when registering .com and .net domains (and .US in this case.)

•••
@boker - the idea is that if you advise people to not pursue legal action, you are encouraging scammers to carry on with their activities.

One can always file a report with the Europol, and also seize domain assets of the scammer through a lawsuit, because Verisign is a US company. Keep that in mind when registering .com and .net domains (and .US in this case.)
Iyt's not about encouraging, it's about stating the facts. Europol doesn't move a finger for small amounts or regarding small scammers and even if they would want, they don't have jurisdictions everywhere, without the national law enforcement agencies. Regarding Verisign, it was very close in 2016 to loose these power, but was still backed by France and a few other EU countries, just because China and Russia will try to dictate their own rules and it has lost some of they power, but probably at the next major event they will loose this right and they will be under control of a international tribunal and not be rulled by US government.

•••
Western societies, such as the US and Canada are inherently litigious, and for good reason: the law is there to be respected proactively, and when broken, there are repercussions.

You can quote any technical obstacle that in your opinion would hinder legal action, but the truth is that anyone can sue anyone else, for any reason. When advised by a lawyer, that is.

It's entertaining though to watch the devil's advocate game, it unveils one's ethical layer as well.

•••
I don't know if you can talk more about ethics than me or somebody else...it's not EU who has made legal actions a business, or who has legalized the so called paid 'lobby', so it's not the right thread or time to talk about ethics.

•••
So you come here to unload wisdom on why it's not a good idea to litigate crime, and teach us all about European ethics. I understand you feel driven to stand by your two compatriots. It's a shame they turned out to be scammers.

On the subject of "lobbies" just look at the GDPR mess and think before hitting the submit button.

Last edited:
•••
So you come here to unload wisdom on why it's not a good idea to litigate crime, and teach us all about European ethics. I understand you feel driven to stand by your two compatriots. It's a shame they turned out to be scammers.

On the subject of "lobbies" just look at the GDPR mess and think before hitting the submit button.
So it's ok for you to talk about your 'western tribe' tribunals but it's not ok for me to talk about EU ethics?
From the beginning I've taken JudgeMind's part, so how I'm defending anybody?
So GDPR it's a mess now? Probably just in US, in Europe everybody has the right to privacy and more changes will come in the next couple of years regarding multinationals, whatever if US companies/government will be happy or not. It's a big gap between US law and EU law and it will get even bigger.

•••
Yes, the gap in law is obvious. Also, I'm a Greek, hence European, but I've lived in the US for the past 20+ years and know how crap the EU has been to its individual nations. There's no cultural continuum, and I find it funny that you define "West" as anything beyond Europe. It used to include Europe, pre-EU.

The GDPR is stifling capitalism and free ventures, by reaching beyond Europe, based on the decisions of a real tribunal: European bureaucrats of the highest order - basically Germany.

•••
Interesting sales strategy. I have often sensed this approach with the domain wanted threads.

Personally, I wouldnt have put out my own money without a contract or written agreement to purchase the domain.

I do feel JM got played, and it's not right.I wouldn't have done it, but DC did agree to a specific price. JM just said he would accept.

I'm always leery of the domain wanted type posts. Especially when people request names that are readily available in the auction threads.

I'm pretty sure I've bought names from both JM and DC. Too bad this happened.

•••
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back