IT.COM

security [SCAM ALERT] Domain sale with scam APPRAISAL

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I need to share this because I don't want anybody to fall for this.
I didn't fall for it because first of all I knew what they were trying to do; second, they all sound as dumb as they are.
You would guess after many years this kind of scams (this one is quite old-style) would be ineffective, but if they are doing it, it means people still fall for it.

This is the classic attempt to make you pay for a crappy appraisal service in order for them to purchase your domain name.
Of course, the appraisals service is owned by them and they disappear with the money.

They first contact you by email (their email was [email protected]) and they use "Domain Broker" as sender name.

Hi!

Our regular customer is interested in macaumap.com.

If it's still for sale please email me.

If you have a Telegram user name please send to me. We will communicate faster via this messenger.

Regards,

Fukuhara Tagasaki

Vice President

Investor Relations

Quicca Hosting Inc.

Tokyo

Japan

First email seemed legitimate, but the fact that my domain name (CITY NAME+map.com) is out of their business (hosting) was an alert

I asked them how to proceed and this was their reply:
I represent a large hosting company from Japan. You can read reviews about us at https://www.gmo.jp/en/news/article/?id=600

If you need faster response you may contact our support in Telegram. User name of our customer service in Telegram: DomainSaleSupport (@DomainSaleSupport).

Our commission is only 6 %. The commission is divided between you (3%) and the buyer (3%) and paid after you get the money.

The buyer offers 15 BTC (Bitcoins).

The payment to you will be made via escrow service to protect both parties during the transaction. You will get 50% before the domain transfer and 50% after.

Do you have a certificate of compliance for Japanese escrow? We cannot proceed without it.

To proceed with the sale, the bank of the buyer requires a certificate of compliance with Japanese law and trademarks. Please don't worry. If you don't have it you can order it online. I will help you with instructions and will not leave you along with this.

- The certificate must be up to date (issued during last 30 days)
- Copy of the certificate in Japanese (required by the buyer because he does not speak English).
- The certification agency must be authorized by my buyer and his bank.

We asked him if GoDaddy or Sedo appraisal certificates will work for him. Now we are awaiting for his answer.

15 BTC??? for a domain name I have listed at Godaddy for US$1,200???

Anyway, just a confirmation this is a fraud.
They will get the money for the appraisal and run.
Morons!

Knowing the script, I asked how I should proceed. Their answer:
The buyer will send crypto-currency to escrow. They send 50% to you. You may receive the payment in crypto-currency or they may convert it in USD to send via wire/Paypal. You transfer the domain and get the other 50%. It's safe and easy.
But you need to certify your domain for Japanese market first. After you send us the certificate we will proceed with the sale the same day.

I talked to the buyer. GoDaddy and Sedo certificates don't meet the requirements (no copy in Japanese and no Japanese law compliance verification). Japanese escrows accept certificates from Authorize Japan Ltd. https://authorize-japan.net
Go to this site and click Certification. Specify in the comment field you need a copy in Japanese. If they approve your request they will send payment instructions via email. The certificates will be sent to your email in PDF. Send them to me as attachments and we will proceed with the sale.
They are Japanese subsidiary of large Authorize Net Inc. - very reputable International payment processor from the USA.

They offer full money back guarantee for domain owner if his domain is not sold within 15 days or if your domain does not pass the certification for Japan. It's safe for you as the domain owner to use them.

These are the dumbest kind of scammers too.
I even stopped replying because it is just a waste of time.
Seriously. If you want to live as a scammer, at least be a clever one.
Don't be so stupid to become a world wide joke.

Anyway be safe all of you.

I have attached a screenshot of the email exchange we had, for your reference.

Attachments

• screenshot-mail.google.com-2018.07.18-10-32-32.png
    screenshot-mail.google.com-2018.07.18-10-32-32.png
    378.8 KB · Views: 72
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If you need faster response you may contact our support in Telegram. User name of our customer service in Telegram: DomainSaleSupport (@DomainSaleSupport).

Our commission is only 6 %. The commission is divided between you (3%) and the buyer (3%) and paid after you get the money.

The buyer offers 10 BTC (Bitcoins).

The payment to you will be made via escrow service to protect both parties during the transaction. You will get 50% before the domain transfer and 50% after.

Do you have a certificate of compliance for Japanese escrow? We cannot proceed without it.

To proceed with the sale, the bank of the buyer requires a certificate of compliance with Japanese law and trademarks. Please don't worry. If you don't have it you can order it online. I will help you with instructions and will not leave you along with this.

- Copy of the certificate in Japanese (required by the buyer because he does not speak English).
- The certification agency must be authorized by my buyer and his bank.

We asked him if GoDaddy or Sedo appraisal certificates will work for him. Now we are awaiting for his answer.

•••
I believe you it's a scam, gotta keep re-pricing my domains because of them!

•••
These are the dumbest kind of scammers too.

There are some pretty gullible domainers also. The illusion of making a sizeable sale often works.

•••
To play around with them.. I would ask the "middle man" if they would forward the following to the potentialbuyer..
"あなたの推薦する特定の鑑定サイトがありますか?" and include this link
https://translate.google.com/#en/ja/Is there a specific appraisal site that your recommend

Glad you didn't get scammed @hemirate !

Last edited:
•••
Yep, the minute you read they are inquiring on "behalf of", or "they have a client" or "we have a buyer"...or anything to do with certificates..or any email from a freshly reg'd domain...or emails with cute little emojies in the subject line...or Final Reminders about some sort of "domain service" expiring...you can safely hit the Junk button.

Basically everything except 1% of inquiries is Junk. Junkity junk junk. Not to mention Bunk. bunkity bunk bunk.

•••
Back