Dynadot

opinion Saturday Musings - What Does it Mean to do Good?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Whizzbang

VIP Member
ParkLogic.com
Impact
So many of us in the western world believe that if we do “good” then things will be all right now and hopefully in the afterlife. I’ve been contemplating this concept of doing good and to be quite honest with you I’m a little confused.

The problem I’m having is that “good” is a subjective term and something that is good for one person may not be for another. Each one of us views the world from our own perspective and cultural background and this taints our perception of what is good.

An extreme example of this is ISIS. They believe they are doing good by blowing up archaeological sites, beheading infidels and bringing their own unique brand of Sharia law to the masses. It’s clear that many people agree with their position and are even willing to put their lives on the line….but does this make ISIS good?

Maybe if you reach a critical mass of individuals that believe as you do, then you do regard what you’re doing good? If that was the case, then Stalin, Hitler and Mao Zedong would be regarded as saints as they had millions of people following them while they slaughtered millions themselves. I’ve concluded that doing “good” isn’t at all about populist opinion but something else entirely.

Read More >

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I tend to believe what the Bible says, there is no one good but God, of course the good reference is most likely in relation to Righteousness, but having said that I have always tried to do good but fell short so many times ,by practicing bad habits, not being able to forgive and move on, Hate, satisfying fleshly desires etc.
It was only after I became a Christian and have the spirit of God living in me that I was able to resist temptationto do bad things. I am by no means near perfect, but things that didn't come natural to me are now a part of my life, things like loving my neighbor as myself, also love your enemies and those that mistreat you. Helping the poor and downtrodden. AS far as the standard there is only one for me, what would God think of my behavior. I do believe (know) there is a day of judgement for everyone Christians as well as non beleivers where our motives will be exposed. I always say I am a dirty rotten sinner saved by Grace, ephesians 2 - 8+9 For by Grace are you saved through Faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God not of works lest any man should boast. So no matter how good we are it wont earn us eternal life
It is a free gift which cant be earned. The hard part is putting our trust in a savior and accepting the free Gift and not relying on our good works to earn eternal life.
Sorry about preaching but I cant separate my faith from what I believe,it effects every part of my life especially when I have seen so many receive it and be guarenteed a place in heaven because of the good news.
Joe T

•••
What you wrote about is one of the reasons why I came to the conclusion in my article that faith is the bedrock of "goodness".

•••
sorry I didn't see the read more gone do it now

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back