IT.COM

discuss Sales Strategy For More Revenue

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
For those that own thousands of average-good quality brandcentric domains, do you generate more revenue overall by:

- BIN-pricing high and selling fewer domains
- BIN-pricing low and selling more domains
- Leaving most on β€œmake offer”

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
no with the amount of names he has most his profit goes into renewals !
Like this

100 names. Priced at 2295$ each. He sells 1%.
1 name sold. 2295$.
100 names renewal is 1000$.
Profit 1295$.

1000 names. Priced at 2295$ each. He sells 1%.
10 names sold. 22.295$.
1000 names renewal is 10.000$.
Profit 12.295$.

•••
Technically don't have to renew, sell what you can then drop after year 1. Re-buy with discount promo on year 2 and try selling again. Win-Win and less renewals :)

•••
Lets just say I got most of my domains for an avg of Β£1 per name (rare but can be done). Actually it was less than that so my initial investment was less than Β£1200 for all names :)

I don't have to renew any of the names if I choose not to!
Hey, I'm new to doamining and get my domains for $10 on average. Would really like to know how you were able to get yours for such amazingly low prices

•••
•••
Build Lists. Wait. Be Patient, Network. Catch Deals. ( Find Hacks ) REG TONS. price appropriate. sit wait. hope.

if your regging new at 10, you will be in a very tough spot if hand reg. IMHO.

Hey, I'm new to doamining and get my domains for $10 on average. Would really like to know how you were able to get yours for such amazingly low prices

•••
To start with, I don't buy domains that I feel can not bring AT LEAST $500 (which is where the starting price for all low/mid level names have a 'make offer' minimun set at) on a quick turn. My BIN prices on all names are set at what I feel a knowledgeable business person would understand the name to be worth.

For 2019, I think I may remove all BIN...if nothing else to save me the time of doing pricing research...also I don't have to keep paying attention to what has sold recently to determine if a trend is happening...all that research will be done once I get an inquiry.

I would rather spend my time locating quality names that others are wanting to 'flip' for pennies on the dollar...sit on them for a while and then do outbound marketing to get the price the name deserves.

Any updates from your ongoing experience?

I put my original post in this post so anyone that is interested in what I said about a year ago would not have to search for it.

Due to continuing advice publicly posted here (on nps) by other members in addition to my own thought process and analysis, I eventually removed all bins in 2019. For me, it was a significantly negative experience as sales plummeted.

There is no doubt in my mind, for a variety reasons(s), that low and mid level quality domains can actually have impulse buys...even in the mid x,xxx range. I still get the usual inquires on top tier (truly pronounceable 4L's and real words) but only a handful of inquiries on mid, and especially low level, domains.

So, 2019 resulted in my worst year in recent history. This will change for 2020.

My bin pricing will be, for each and every name that is not supreme top tier, will be 'shoot for the moon' priced with a make offer floor set at 500. My supreme to tiers will stay make offer. My regret is that I did not start this process before the first of the year (50% of my historical sales have happened in the first 4 months). I look forward to what others have to say.

•••
•••
•••
I most usually price my domains accordingly with the research i get on each name, I do use BIN , but from $100 to $5K+ , I sell a lot more low BIN names than anything, avg around $400 a name.

I agree with AbdulBasit , Use BIN on Afternic. the results are incredibly different as opposed to make offer.

Last edited:
•••
•••
I am sticking to BIN pricing and focusing on increasing portfolio size and str
You have BIN on afternic.
Do you also have BIN on landers, or make offer?
What do you think is best?
What % of sales is happening through afternic, approximate. What % through BIN landers, if any.

@AbdulBasit.com what % of sales is happening through afternic, approximate.
50%, 75%, more?

•••
I think having BIN on afternic + make offer box on lander can cause confusion.

Best to have BIN on afternic, then either BIN on landers or Price Upon request like white.com / Printfactory.com.
Instead of the plain make offer box.
So that you can quote the afternic BIN, and take it from there.

•••
What % of sales is happening through afternic, approximate. What % through BIN landers, if any.

50%, 75%, more?

I did not use landers for most my names forwarding to my magazine project instead, as was not impressed neither by Dan, nor by uni or afternic PUR etc etc.

I am just starting to slowly move all that to landing on my own marketplace based on wordpress and woocommerce with PayPal gateway. Will move all of them once I have implemented most features I want there.

Percentage: for 2019, about 2/3 were via afternic, others via brandable markets, direct contact etc. I don't use make offer at all

Last edited:
•••

50%, 75%, more?

Today I made big changes with my entire portfolio and pointed all domains to Afternic nameservers. I'm sure to see better results in terms of overall sales. Shifted from Uni sales lander to Afternic which wasn't easy to decide but last few months were going good in sales via Afternic which finally made me decided to give it a go.

I haven't calculated exact sales % with platforms but I think half of the sales had happened via Afternic last year which was surprising to me.

•••
Today I made big changes with my entire portfolio and pointed all domains to Afternic nameservers. I'm sure to see better results in terms of overall sales. Shifted from Uni sales lander to Afternic which wasn't easy to decide but last few months were going good in sales via Afternic which finally made me decided to give it a go.

I haven't calculated exact sales % with platforms but I think half of the sales had happened via Afternic last year which was surprising to me.
I have considered this and I do send some leads to my Afternic rep. There are a few downsides to not managing your leads beyond the commission:

1) You won't know the prospect so you can't price accordingly. If you manage your own leads and can see who is inquiring, you can price a name accordingly if you wish.
2) You can't manage follow-ups. If you want to lower your price in 6 months, you have to rely on the Afternic or other brokerage team to follow up with the prospect.
3) If your price is too high, the broker may recommend an alternative domain name in their network, netting you nothing despite generating the lead on your own.

It would be good to test their landing page though because they have the brand recognition. What would also be interesting is testing that against your own landing page, and if the lead generation stays the same, you can hand off leads as you wish, allowing you to 1) see who is inquiring and 2) follow up on your own in the future if that is allowed by the brokerage.

•••

So the other half mostly happened through landers/negotiation right?
vs direct contact (whois) or brandable marketplaces.

•••

As far as I know Afternic has 2 types of NS:
For parking
ns1.afternic.com
ns2.afternic.com

For inquiry page:
ns3.afternic.com
ns4.afternic.com

Which one do you use?

•••
I have considered this and I do send some leads to my Afternic rep. There are a few downsides to not managing your leads beyond the commission:

1) You won't know the prospect so you can't price accordingly. If you manage your own leads and can see who is inquiring, you can price a name accordingly if you wish.
2) You can't manage follow-ups. If you want to lower your price in 6 months, you have to rely on the Afternic or other brokerage team to follow up with the prospect.
3) If your price is too high, the broker may recommend an alternative domain name in their network, netting you nothing despite generating the lead on your own.

It would be good to test their landing page though because they have the brand recognition. What would also be interesting is testing that against your own landing page, and if the lead generation stays the same, you can hand off leads as you wish, allowing you to 1) see who is inquiring and 2) follow up on your own in the future if that is allowed by the brokerage.

Thanks Elliot for your feedback.

1) Most of the time, my pricing is not set according to the inquirer/buyer coming in my way so it doesn't bother me much.

I agree with your point 2 and 3 which are the downsides but since I'll be testing for at least 6 months, I'll share the results as the time goes by...

•••
So the other half mostly happened through landers/negotiation right?
vs direct contact (whois) or brandable marketplaces.

The remaining half mostly happened via Uni sales lander and rarely via WHOIS/Sedo.
I don't list at any brandable marketplaces like BB and rest as they eat up so much commission with not much efforts put by them IMO...

•••
As far as I know Afternic has 2 types of NS:
For parking
ns1.afternic.com
ns2.afternic.com

For inquiry page:
ns3.afternic.com
ns4.afternic.com

Which one do you use?

I'm using the following:
ns3.afternic.com
ns4.afternic.com

•••
I'm using the following:
ns3.afternic.com
ns4.afternic.com
Quick question that is out of the discussion probably, but since you are using AF, do they for example pay through Payoneer? I would love to know that.

•••
Quick question that is out of the discussion probably, but since you are using AF, do they for example pay through Payoneer? I would love to know that.

Absolutely not. I tried couple of times but they don't send to Payoneer.

•••
•••
Domain name strategy?

Still trying to find a broker after 6 years lol

I like finding a domain name and then buying it after buying the domain I have no interest in doing outbound or listing the domain name for sale etc

I would like to find someone that is good at doing outbound and trademark checking etc to sell my domain names

•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back